Accurate tempo

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Accurate tempo

Post by ecadre »

Nanohedron wrote:
Sedi wrote:Does anyone besides myself think that it sounds like it was played on a recorder and not a whistle?
Not so much recorder, here, but I too got a strong first impression that the instrument might not be a pennywhistle - or at least in some way not a standard one (whatever that means, these days). Might've been the recording situation.
Oh, it's a whistle alright. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqkj_StUf6w

It's just that it had all its life processed and compressed out of it.
MichelleRH
Tell us something.: I have a high g carbony, 2 cheap composite D and C whistles that sound like recorders, a wood Eric high D, a brass Tony Dixon A whistle and a Tony Dixon Low D in my collection and I would like to learn more about Irish whistle.

Post by MichelleRH »

Sedi wrote:Does anyone besides myself think that it sounds like it was played on a recorder and not a whistle?

I actually said that to my husband yesterday! Yes I think it does sound like a recorder :-)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I think it's recorder style playing, but on whistle.

"An instrument is merely a mechanical device. The music is in the person."
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

So while we are talking about whistle tones... I made my first low whistle yesterday, and I think it came out pretty good. But. I'm worried it sounds like a recorder or a susato. It probobly doesnt but I'm used to hearing mixed low whistles with reverb on youtube (think any kerry whistles demo. He bare minimum goes into a reverberant room to demo), so hearing mine sounds different than I expected. But it probobly sounds relatively normal.

Heres my super dry mic'ed no effort demo play
https://soundcloud.com/airsoftwarrior34 ... MNWNQr71FL

Heres an image for anyone interested.
https://imgur.com/a/d7vPWA9

Overall I'm super happy with it, and its playability is very good. Although high second octave definitely needs some extra push. And the mouthpiece is removable so I can make more bodies for other keys until I make more mouthpieces.
Unai
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm Unai, I play irish flute and traditional basque instruments (txistu & alboka). I follow this site for years and I'd like to have an acount now, so I can participate in discussions. Thanks!

Post by Unai »

tempo can be hight without sounding like a rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQt-lzcLmOM
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Narzog wrote: I'm worried it sounds like a recorder or a Susato.
Ouch!

I think your whistle sounds like a whistle. Nice work!

I think to get a recorder tone you would have to use a recorder bore, which of course will mess up the 2nd octave.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Unai wrote:tempo can be hight without sounding like a rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQt-lzcLmOM
I got 118 on that, not all that much faster than Breathnach's recommended 112.

However I've found that when I'm the one doing the playing a few ticks can seem huge!
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle