So just what is an "advanced whistle player"?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brus
antispam: No

So just what is an "advanced whistle player"?

Post by Brus »

(from another topic):
Nanohedron wrote:it's not uncommon for advanced players to hear a new tune, and after the first or second turn - hey presto - they're playing it, too. But with most such, this is the result of decades of physical practice (getting that mind-body connection down, or letting go of it, depending on your perspective), active/analytical listening (for shapes, patterns and relationships), and ear memory practice (hint: active listening greatly aids retention). All the same, I suspect that a lot of people, including advanced players, probably learn in sections, mostly. Advanced players are just likely to be able to reproduce it more quickly and accurately, is all.
So I'd like to hear informed opinions on this topic. Just what is an advanced whistle player?

Technical mastery is a given, of course, but what does this include? Would it include little-used techniques such as cranns? L. E. McCullough thinks so:

How I became L. E. McCullough
Learn every single type of ornament possible, even if you later decide not to use them. See if you can play into the third octave — just because it’s there.
So what can an advanced whistle player do? Pick up anything by ear in one or two listenings? And then switch from the key of D to the key of G? Play fast as blazes in proper rhythm? Have a huge repertoire? Sound just like Micho Russell and then sound like Mary Bergin?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
RoberTunes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: So just what is an "advanced whistle player"?

Post by RoberTunes »

I'm not going anywhere near the "what is" kind of thing, but I'll post a high-risk comment about the "how" side of things.

Advanced players are actively committed to developing their ability in musical learning, understanding, playing and proactively generating opportunities to do more of that for themselves and others where that's part of how things work. Multi-dimensional. They have chosen to persist through challenges and difficulties, to realize some gains. Results and preferences vary, naturally, but their intention is typically far more resolute through long periods of time, than a person who never has or hasn't yet, developed their ability to "advanced" through sustained effort. At minimum, to earn the label "advanced", something will have been gained above the average, be it performance skill on an instrument, knowledge of and promotion of music, both, or ability to assertively associate with pub owners in the interests of getting the best gig times for sessions and thereby become a popular musical carouser.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Meaningless - it's just a label. It's not like you get a "black belt" in whistle playing.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kenny wrote:Meaningless - it's just a label. It's not like you get a "black belt" in whistle playing.
It's an interesting question, though. I should think that you could be called advanced were you to tell people you're going to teach, and no one points out that it's way too early in your career for that.

That said, I agree that labels such as "advanced" are on their own merits dicey. Of course we aspire and one compares oneself to others, but as I indicated above, rank is best conferred, not claimed. The first is public opinion, the other only one's own, so always beware the Dunning-Kruger effect, and - I know it's the last thing a developing musician wants to hear - not give "being advanced" too much weight. Am I advanced? To some, yes, but what happens when I'm compared to the greats? Not to sound mystical, but it's true: Always be a beginner. Even if you can play rings around Mary Bergin, still consider yourself a beginner.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Brus wrote: Just what is an advanced whistle player?

Technical mastery is a given, of course, but what does this include? Would it include little-used techniques such as cranns?
I would not consider myself an "advanced" player by any means, but I use crans a lot - not what I would call a "little-used technique".

Other than that, I have nothing to add to the topic. Makes no difference to me what labels or titles others use for themselves or me; I play for my own enjoyment and always have. I do however enjoy practicing and getting better.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

RoberTunes wrote:I'm not going anywhere near the "what is" kind of thing, but I'll post a high-risk comment about the "how" side of things.

Advanced players are actively committed to developing their ability in musical learning, understanding, playing and proactively generating opportunities to do more of that for themselves and others where that's part of how things work. Multi-dimensional. They have chosen to persist through challenges and difficulties, to realize some gains. Results and preferences vary, naturally, but their intention is typically far more resolute through long periods of time, than a person who never has or hasn't yet, developed their ability to "advanced" through sustained effort. At minimum, to earn the label "advanced", something will have been gained above the average, be it performance skill on an instrument, knowledge of and promotion of music, both, or ability to assertively associate with pub owners in the interests of getting the best gig times for sessions and thereby become a popular musical carouser.

I was with you until you got to the "At minimum" sentences. I have played with players who are advanced by the definition you lay out, and others you may consider expert by those criteria that have not chosen to be performers. I think you are, after that sentence describing people who have a drive to perform or become professional musicians. These can be advanced, expert or mediocre, depending on the town or audience. :D
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Brus, there are two distinct topics you bring up:

1) The ability to pick up tunes by ear on the fly.

2) Knowing how to play crans, and knowing how to play 3rd octave notes.

About #2, generations of Irish whistle and flute players have had played their entire lives, and been regarded as excellent players, without knowing how to do either of those things.

About #1, many excellent players (of all instruments) are good at doing that, and many other excellent players are not.

Personally I would look slightly askance at the term "advanced whistle player" because I wouldn't know what it was supposed to mean.

Whatever somebody's instrument, the questions for me are

1) do they play in time?

2) do they play in tune?

3) do they play in a reasonably traditional style?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The old musicians always talked about having the ability to 'bring over a tune'. Which involves having a full understanding of the music and the ability to 'bring it across' to the listener or dancer.

That covers a multitude.

I have seen the label 'advanced' used as a label for grading classes/workshops: being able to play certain tune types using a degree of ornamentation/variation and that sort of thing. Outside that context it's as Kenny says.

I don't think ornamentation count is a criterium to use: Micho Russell didn't play rolls and I have yet to hear Mary Bergin use a crann. There are stylistic choices to be made and I wouldn't rate rattling out cranns as a marker of ability.

Taste, understanding, knowledge and the ability to put those together to produce music that speaks with emotion. That's the thing to aim for.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Reminds me of the "Sligo flute controversy" video on YouTube. I think James Murray says at one point: "I've been playing for 20 years and I didn't know what a roll was."
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's an article I have linked on several occasions over the past twenty years or so but Pat Mitchell's Rhythm and structure in Irish Traditional Music deals with a few issues that, while written for pipers, translate well to whistle playing. Advanced or otherwise.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks for the link. Downloaded it to read later :).
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Advanced whistle playing is like ρσяиσפядρђψ in that my fiancée prefers I wear headphones while watching it.*

Er...

I mean...

I know them when I see them!*

I don't know if any list of qualifications could completely codify an "advanced" player vs one that isn't advanced, despite Comhaltas and others wanting easy-to-define categories for lessons and such. But I'm sure many people here could very easily pick "advanced"/"accomplished"/"great"/etc. players out just by hearing them play. Channel your inner Potter Stewart* and just embrace the undefinable!

*For the non-Americans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

bigsciota wrote:I know them when I see them!
That's pretty much all one can say about it, isn't it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Ultimately, the one at the head of the line.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

If you can play a tune, and it sounds like music to someone else, then you're "advanced". If you can play a tune, and it sounds like music to someone who plays tunes, then you're "advanced". If you play a tune for Cathal McConnell, and he says it sounds like music, then you've arrived.