Wide-body D for beginner?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Wide-body D for beginner?

Post by ytliek »

Wood whistles are generally wider so might be a consideration, although wood whistles are not everyone's cuppa.
Garick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: New whistle player looking to upgrade from a mass-produced whistle to something intermediate. Apparently that didn't equal 100 characters or more, but I have little to add other than that I am currently playing a Clarke original, Freeman tweak.

Post by Garick »

Sedi wrote:Ehm, sorry but I cannot explain how to make a good whistle in like a couple of sentences. I've been doing that for 5 years and it took me a half year and more than 20 prototypes to perfect the square whistle. So you would have to learn the necessary skills and make yourself familiar with some tools like a "flutomat" software to calculate hole-size and other measurements. It would be all but useless if I gave you some calculations if I don't even know what type of material (wall thickness, diameter, etc) you'd be working with. Every millimeter difference would make new calculations necessary. So I guess your best bet is to buy a Susato with a thumb rest. It's not like I have some "secrets" I don't wanna share but it takes time and effort to come up with a good, in-tune whistle. There is more than enough material online on how to make whistles. And there is no geometry needed to come from 12x12 mm to a round diameter. The formula for the area of a circle is r^2 times "pi". And 2 times r is the diameter you need for any flutomat software. So I use tubing with 14 x 14. Inner diameter 12 x 12 (not 13 as stated above, my bad -- wall thickness is 1 mm)
12 x 12 = 144
144/pi = 45.8366236
square root of 45.8366236 is 6.770275 -- take it times 2 and you get the inner diameter of a round tube which you can then put into a flutomat software to calculate the hole sizes and spread of the holes. 13.54055 mm is the number you'll get. This is the formula you need when using a flutomat software with a square tube. Basically just translating the square profile into a round one.
Sorry, I didn't mean that I'd ask you to calculate it for me. I meant that if I could get square tube identical to yours, would you be willing to share the hole locations and sizes that you used? That said, the tubing you're using appears not to be a standard size in the US, so since I don't think I can get identical tubing, the question is moot. Also, the part I was worried about was the conversion issue from square to round, and you just gave me that, so I think I can figure it out from there. Thank you.

In the meantime, my Walton's Mellow D arrived, and I'm quite happy with it. Thanks for the suggestion RoberTunes and TxWhistler. It came tune-able out of the box (actually, wrapper) and has a very nice sound. Practicing on this should help me be prepared if/when my Mellow Dog arrives.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Sorry, I didn't mean that I'd ask you to calculate it for me. I meant that if I could get square tube identical to yours, would you be willing to share the hole locations and sizes that you used?
That might work. But you're probably right about the different sizes EU vs. US. The tube I use is not even standard here with 14x14mm on the outside. A standard size would be 15x15 but I couldn't find the right square connectors that I use for the mouthpiece. And the app I'm using never gives me the correct overall length -- so that is more or less trial and error by cutting off small pieces till I have the right length. The calculations for the holes that the app does, are correct however but the app is intended for flutes and not whistles and the mouthpiece screws everything up when it comes to overall length.
ltwhistle
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish whistle for nearly 20 years. My favorite brand is Overton. I also like high whistles more.

Post by ltwhistle »

Waltons Mellow D is a great wide-bore whistle, I think the only one among beginner (inexpensive) options. If you are aiming for loudness, you can go with a Susato (also wide-bore but it's a bit more expensive). There's a good tin whistle buying guide you may want to check for some more options too.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Garick wrote: I am a new whistle player who has a thumb injury that makes holding a narrow-body whistle very difficult. I'm currently playing a tweaked OG Clarke that I've glued a big leather pad on the back of to be able to hold it.
This thread came up again and I wonder what you came up with. Nothing to be ashamed about if you make a frankenstein whistle by the way. It is the music that counts, not how they look.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Garick wrote:I will admit to a prejudice against plastic instruments, as I always fear they will sound like the elementary school recorder of my youth.
I, too, used to harbor the same prejudice. Now I have a plastic recorder (that cost me next to nothing). I like the way it sounds, but not its right-handed setup. I also have a Dixon DX026, which is plastic, and I like its sound, too. Quality plastic whistles are terrific, in my opinion!
ytliek wrote:Wood whistles are not everyone's cuppa.
I've never played one. Someday I intend to, but right now I can't give a fine wood instrument the care it deserves.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have a few plastic whistles, & most sound mellow, but louder, than your average recorder, but a couple sound similar to a regular whistle.

I, personally, think that delrin sounds very close to wooden, so will never buy a wooden flute/whistle, & so I will never have to worry about its care.
Delrin is much easier to care for.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Garick
Tell us something.: New whistle player looking to upgrade from a mass-produced whistle to something intermediate. Apparently that didn't equal 100 characters or more, but I have little to add other than that I am currently playing a Clarke original, Freeman tweak.

Post by Garick »

busterbill wrote:
Garick wrote: I am a new whistle player who has a thumb injury that makes holding a narrow-body whistle very difficult. I'm currently playing a tweaked OG Clarke that I've glued a big leather pad on the back of to be able to hold it.
This thread came up again and I wonder what you came up with. Nothing to be ashamed about if you make a frankenstein whistle by the way. It is the music that counts, not how they look.
I went with the suggestion of a Waltons Mellow D. It's got a nice sound for a cheap whistle, and as the basis for the Freeman Mellow Dog that is hopefully coming my way eventually, it makes sense to me to learn on a similar instrument. I also added the Monster Grips recommended in another thread (https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 1&start=45) as thumb pads, and it has made my grip much more solid, especially on the C#.

I also did the blue-tack tweak, which has helped with the airflow, especially stability in the higher notes. While it's not my dream whistle, it's not bad. I am squeaking and skronking more and more rarely.