Game changer in low D whistles - new video

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greylarsen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Game changer in low D whistles - new video

Post by greylarsen »

I’ve just posted a new video (about 11 minutes long) demonstrating what I feel is a true game changer in low D whistles, the Carbony Celtic Winds Low D with close finger hole spacing via chimney extenders. Its holes are as close together as those of a low G whistle, so people with hands of almost any size can easily play this low D. And it sounds great. I hope you’ll watch the video and post your comments. I feel this innovation will open up low whistle playing to a whole slew of new players, which is a great thing. (This whistle also comes in low C, E-flat, E and F.) Here’s the video link: https://youtu.be/abTsfOVPwPo
Blower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Re: Game changer in low D whistles - new video

Post by Blower »

Very clever. The only issue I would envisage is cleaning the bore. The acute angle between the "chimneys" and the tube wall could build up some nasty gunge over time and be hard to remove.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great idea, and it's likely going to be adopted by some whistle and tenor recorder makers, pronto.

There are two parts; the angled tone hole, and the addition of a tone hole tube. For some instruments and keys, just having the angled tone hole may be enough of a difference.

The tone hole tube going into the bore: this had to have an impact on the harmonics, in some way, because simply by being present as an obstruction, the vibrating wave pattern in the tube is altered. Put in 6 of those and you've got an obstacle course. In the video link, I watched it three times, and I think I hear a slight reduction in the high harmonics in the whistle with the adjusted/angled holes. But it's not a negative, it's just different.

There are two ways to do this; by using a general tube thickness that's wider throughout, OR, by adding width to the tone hole side only (out of consideration for wanting to keep total instrument weight minimized, and material mass/instrument most efficient). I'd think that aluminum and plastic/Delrin whistles would easily find ways to adopt some version of this idea. Brass being much heavier, a brass tube that's 2X or 3X or 4X as heavy might sound great, but the instrument will be of considerable weight overall once you get into keys lower than about alto A.

Another application of this idea might be to put MORE distance between tone holes on the high F and high G whistles which are so short now, cramping fingers, and where even a tripling of instrument weight would not be an issue.

And yet another application might be to allow the use of from 7 to 10 holes on a whistle, with all the finger holes most comfortably placed, on the alto and "low" keys especially.

Three thumbs up! is my reaction.
jimhanks
Tell us something.: I play lots of instruments including several wind instruments like recorder and Native American flutes. I'm looking to expand my horizons and learn more about whistles, especially wooden ones.

Post by jimhanks »

Following. I recently looked at this option and determined the ergonomics were likely to still not work for me due to the reach to the holes. (I have some RSI issues.) It looked like the E was as big as I wanted to go for both reach and spacing issues. I'm still saving for a Carbony E.

Are you saying the chimney extenders are now also available in C, Eb, E, and F? That would be new information to me.
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

jimhanks wrote:Following. I recently looked at this option and determined the ergonomics were likely to still not work for me due to the reach to the holes. (I have some RSI issues.) It looked like the E was as big as I wanted to go for both reach and spacing issues. I'm still saving for a Carbony E.

Are you saying the chimney extenders are now also available in C, Eb, E, and F? That would be new information to me.
Yes, that is correct. And if you like, you can specify that the close hole spacing be implemented for just the top or bottom hand. Personally I have it for both hands on my low D, plus I have the two thumb holes for C and F.

As shown in the video, the hole spacing on the close-spaced low D is equivalent to the spacing on a normal low G, which is quite a big improvement.
robgandara

Post by robgandara »

Blower wrote:Very clever. The only issue I would envisage is cleaning the bore. The acute angle between the "chimneys" and the tube wall could build up some nasty gunge over time and be hard to remove.
Its important to swab your whistle from both ends. The Fipple is not only tunable it removes for cleaning. I like a microfiber swab but if you can also use a chanter brush as well.
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

Blower wrote:Very clever. The only issue I would envisage is cleaning the bore. The acute angle between the "chimneys" and the tube wall could build up some nasty gunge over time and be hard to remove.
By the way, the chimney extender tubes are installed only on holes 1, 3 and 6.
facet
Tell us something.: A whistle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no whistle.

Post by facet »

Blower wrote:.....The acute angle between the "chimneys" and the tube wall could build up some nasty gunge over time and be hard to remove.
Considering the resin materials used to manufacture it, just spray it inside and out with Simple Green. Let it soak for 20 minutes, then hose it off and stand it on end to dry.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

facet wrote:
Blower wrote:.....The acute angle between the "chimneys" and the tube wall could build up some nasty gunge over time and be hard to remove.
Considering the resin materials used to manufacture it, just spray it inside and out with Simple Green. Let it soak for 20 minutes, then hose it off and stand it on end to dry.

I was thinking just plain dish soap would likely do the trick as well.
robgandara

Post by robgandara »

RoberTunes wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great idea, and it's likely going to be adopted by some whistle and tenor recorder makers, pronto.

There are two parts; the angled tone hole, and the addition of a tone hole tube. For some instruments and keys, just having the angled tone hole may be enough of a difference.

The tone hole tube going into the bore: this had to have an impact on the harmonics, in some way, because simply by being present as an obstruction, the vibrating wave pattern in the tube is altered. Put in 6 of those and you've got an obstacle course. In the video link, I watched it three times, and I think I hear a slight reduction in the high harmonics in the whistle with the adjusted/angled holes. But it's not a negative, it's just different.

There are two ways to do this; by using a general tube thickness that's wider throughout, OR, by adding width to the tone hole side only (out of consideration for wanting to keep total instrument weight minimized, and material mass/instrument most efficient). I'd think that aluminum and plastic/Delrin whistles would easily find ways to adopt some version of this idea. Brass being much heavier, a brass tube that's 2X or 3X or 4X as heavy might sound great, but the instrument will be of considerable weight overall once you get into keys lower than about alto A.

Another application of this idea might be to put MORE distance between tone holes on the high F and high G whistles which are so short now, cramping fingers, and where even a tripling of instrument weight would not be an issue.

And yet another application might be to allow the use of from 7 to 10 holes on a whistle, with all the finger holes most comfortably placed, on the alto and "low" keys especially.

Three thumbs up! is my reaction.
We use super thin wall carbon fiber tubes for the extended chimneys to minimize impact on the harmonics. They are very light and very strong, perfect material for this application.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

robgandara wrote:We use super thin wall carbon fiber tubes for the extended chimneys to minimize impact on the harmonics. They are very light and very strong, perfect material for this application.
How are the chimneys attached to the whistle body? Any chance they might break loose? What would that do to the tuning? And, if it affected the intonation, is a repair feasible?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
robgandara

Post by robgandara »

Steve Bliven wrote:
robgandara wrote:We use super thin wall carbon fiber tubes for the extended chimneys to minimize impact on the harmonics. They are very light and very strong, perfect material for this application.
How are the chimneys attached to the whistle body? Any chance they might break loose? What would that do to the tuning? And, if it affected the intonation, is a repair feasible?

Best wishes.

Steve
They are bonded with a two-part epoxy resin designed for carbon fiber and are internal to the bore. You would be hard-pressed to find a way to remove them without destroying the whistle. They come with a lifetime warranty so if you did indeed find a way, we will replace the instrument at no charge.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I will point out that Bulgarian bagpipes have always had a "chimney extender", though just on one hole, a tiny hole covered by the upper hand index finger. It's called the mormorka.

Though on the Bulgarian chanter it has a different purpose, which is being the chromatic-izer one could say, as opening the mormorka raises the pitch of any note further down the scale a semitone, converting a diatonic chanter into a chromatic one.

On the Bulgarian chanters I used to have the tube was brass or aluminium and just a press-fit in the hole making it easy to remove and replace.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Is it only me, or is there indeed a detectable difference in tone between the 2 whistles Grey demos in the video?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
robgandara

Post by robgandara »

kkrell wrote:Is it only me, or is there indeed a detectable difference in tone between the 2 whistles Grey demos in the video?
The E hole actually has a larger diameter on the extender model so it plays slightly stronger that on the standard model.