Tin penny whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeeky Elf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Tin penny whistle

Post by Squeeky Elf »

Anyone who doesn’t think that the whistle is fully panchromatic clearly hasn’t heard John Coltrane play it.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It's sensitive to all visible light?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Peter Duggan wrote:It's sensitive to all visible light?
Well spotted! Thanks for shining a light on a multiple use of the word "chromatic". In the shade of the musical instrument world, we have long-established the naming of harmonicas that play all the established notes, as a "chromatic" instrument, VS the more whistle-like "diatonic" instruments in keys. I'm wondering if some weird kind of synesthesia was involved, or lack of a local dictionary in harmonica-maker homes, or photography inventors homes, but we're stuck with the streamlined logic of it. They missed their chance to clarify some things with better labels. Frequencies being the determining factor in both light colour and sound "note", there is a bit of logic of allowing "chromatic" to serve for both sound and light.

When the good folks at Pantone start designing ukulele's, or whistle makers design acrylic paints, we're in for a ruckus. They'd say, "this instrument is tuned to play Cerulean blue, cobalt orange, Spanish rose red and Lush Meadow green." In music though, it's still a deception; any instrument that is pre-set to play notes or has frets, isn't "chromatic" unless you alter the mechanics by bending a string or bend a note on a harmonica. So "chromatic" is relative, not absolute. It's very deceptive marketing. If words mean anything at all, Suzuki and Hohner "chromatic" harmonicas are not chromatic unless you the performer bend the notes regularly. They also aren't diatonic, because they have more notes than diatonics. A talented diatonic player can play just as many frequencies as a chromatic harmonica player, just not as easily. So those "chromatic" instruments are as yet not named properly, and buyers should be demanding 35% discounts.

"Haydn said that he was sure Mozart PhotoShopped half his andantes.".........Beethoven
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

It gets even more complicated because the so-called "diatonic" harmonicas are not even completely diatonic. They are missing a few notes. The so-called Richter-tuning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_tuning
But there are also normal diatonic harmonicas without those missing notes. Completely threw me off when I tried to play one.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

RoberTunes wrote:I'm wondering if some weird kind of synesthesia was involved, or lack of a local dictionary in harmonica-maker homes
Harmonicas are only following established musical convention re. the chromatic scale.
In music though, it's still a deception; any instrument that is pre-set to play notes or has frets, isn't "chromatic" unless you alter the mechanics by bending a string or bend a note on a harmonica.
It's not a deception at all; if you can play all 12 semitones, it's musically chromatic. Just not panchromatic!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:Just not panchromatic!
That would be your slide whistle.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Or the humble noseflute:
https://youtu.be/kuCzbae7VWM
mac4nine
Tell us something.: I have a brass whistle with an eagle sticker on it and it appears to be tuneable as it splits in two. It’s brand is eagle and key of D. It is a traditional Irish whistle.

Post by mac4nine »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I have a eagle penny whistle but I don’t know it’s history however it is modern construction ie plastic mouthpiece and I’d looks like feadog Irish traditional D it also splits in two.
Any ideas?

Nanohedron wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:54 pm
What1cand0 wrote:There was one listed on eBay, but it has been sold and is no longer available.
Because you said "tin", I assume the metal was either indeed