The Inner Light

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

The Inner Light

Post by AuLoS303 »

This piece featured in an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation with captain Picard playing a Bressiken Flute as he calls it (played on an Ocarina here). It's a lovely piece but is it based on a traditional Irish song?
There's elements of Danny Boy in there but I'm not sure.

https://youtu.be/ykDot7OyXZY
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: The Inner Light

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:This piece featured in an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation with captain Picard playing a Bressiken Flute as he calls it (played on an Ocarina here). It's a lovely piece but is it based on a traditional Irish song?

It's a Ressikan flute.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
AuLoS303 wrote:This piece featured in an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation with captain Picard playing a Bressiken Flute as he calls it (played on an Ocarina here). It's a lovely piece but is it based on a traditional Irish song?

It's a Ressikan flute.
Indeed. But quite obviously a tin whistle. But what about the music?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

AuLoS303 wrote:Indeed. But quite obviously a tin whistle. But what about the music?
I've always assumed that it was written specifically for the programme. It certainly doesn't sound traditional. I must admit, I'd be surprised if it was. Let's have a Google and see what we can find ...
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

From this site:
◾ Jay Chattaway composed the music for this episode, including the Ressikan flute solo played by Kamin and Picard. Chattaway later expanded this piece into a six-minute orchestral suite for The Best of Star Trek, Volume One. The Ressikan melody has similarities to the Scottish tune Skye Boat Song, also known as Speed Bonny Boat. (citation needed)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Indeed. But quite obviously a tin whistle.
This has been discussed on the whistle forum (why is this on the Irish Music Forum now , I wonder?). I don't see the particular interest but that's probably just me. The Ressikan flute used in the tv series was sold at auction some years ago (do a forum search), it was not a whistle, it was a stage prop, not intended to make any sound at all.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
This has been discussed on the whistle forum (why is this on the Irish Music Forum now , I wonder?). I don't see the particular interest but that's probably just me. The Ressikan flute used in the tv series was sold at auction some years ago (do a forum search), it was not a whistle, it was a stage prop, not intended to make any sound at all.
I don't think it's just you. It would be much better on the whistle forum, so I'll move it there now.

There! Done. :)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

On the whole, TV and movie producers tend to prefer to pay a composer for a piece of original music rather than hope that a "trad" piece really is traditional, and not a more recent composition that's circulating anonymously but for which a valid, and expensive, copyright claim might one day appear.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I did post it to ITMF but it appears its been moved here!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

I dont understand how this ended up in here! I coukd have sworn I posted it in ITMF!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

AuLoS303 wrote:I dont understand how this ended up in here! I coukd have sworn I posted it in ITMF!
It's because The Powers That Be, well, Be. And sometimes, Do. Look above a few posts and you'll see one of the Moderators (and contributors) moved the thread over here. You're lucky, it could have been moved into the Poststructural Pub.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:You're lucky, it could have been moved into the Poststructural Pub.
Word.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

I dont mind it being here but the funny thing is people on here are surprised its here too!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

AuLoS303 wrote:I dont mind it being here but the funny thing is people on here are surprised its here too!
Judging by the evidence, so far I think you're actually the only one.

The reason it got moved was that the tune isn't Trad, so it doesn't go in the ITM Forum. You'll note that discussion on this thread led to the confirmation that it isn't a Trad tune at all, and Ben saw fit to correct the error. This is part of a moderator's job, and moving topics isn't all that unusual even if it's not often that we have to do it. Strictly speaking, it could just as well go in the World/Folk Winds Forum because not only is the tune not Trad, she's playing an ocarina, not a whistle - but maybe Ben was tired, or he felt that the fictional Ressikan Flute concept made the ocarina irrelevant. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:but maybe Ben was tired, or he felt that the fictional Ressikan Flute concept made the ocarina irrelevant. :)
It was the latter.

Meanwhile ...
AuLoS303 wrote:I dont understand how this ended up in here! I coukd have sworn I posted it in ITMF!
Earlier in the thread:
benhall.1 wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:
I don't think it's just you. It would be much better on the whistle forum, so I'll move it there now.

There! Done. :)