Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Post Reply
User avatar
AuLoS303
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 2 recorders, 2 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.
Location: Darlington UK
Contact:

Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by AuLoS303 »

I didnt know if this was the right place to post videos, or even if there is a right place...anyway.
I have a cheap tin whistle. It aint great but it was spotted at a gift shop in a museum and so I bought it.
https://youtu.be/jlMXrw_fkro

https://youtu.be/jlMXrw_fkro
Last edited by AuLoS303 on Wed May 03, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
andrewgibson
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:20 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played bagpipes and saxophone over 30 years. I'm too old and tired for saxophone and have discovered a love for the sound of the tin whistle!
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by andrewgibson »

I enjoyed your recording of amazing grace! I'm a newbie whistler so don't feel able to comment much. I've played bagpipes for many years and the saxophone also.

One thing I learned was not to get too hung up on the quality of the instrument, sure it helps a lot; but getting the basics of tone, clean fingering and rhythm is most important; which is what I'm working on!
User avatar
AuLoS303
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 2 recorders, 2 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.
Location: Darlington UK
Contact:

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by AuLoS303 »

andrewgibson wrote:I enjoyed your recording of amazing grace! I'm a newbie whistler so don't feel able to comment much. I've played bagpipes for many years and the saxophone also.

One thing I learned was not to get too hung up on the quality of the instrument, sure it helps a lot; but getting the basics of tone, clean fingering and rhythm is most important; which is what I'm working on!
Thanks. Its not a great instrument to be honest. When I play a scale on it its ear piercing! Thankfully I have a better one on the way
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
User avatar
Chifmunk
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:40 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com
Location: Germantown, NY

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by Chifmunk »

And I really enjoyed the beautiful tone on your Aulos 211 tenor recorder. Keep up the good work! :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
User avatar
AuLoS303
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 2 recorders, 2 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.
Location: Darlington UK
Contact:

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by AuLoS303 »

Chifmunk wrote:And I really enjoyed the beautiful tone on your Aulos 211 tenor recorder. Keep up the good work! :D
Thanks! :D
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
User avatar
pancelticpiper
Posts: 4974
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.
Location: WV to the OC

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sorry but as the resident Hymn Pedant I must interject :)

Amazing Grace is a hymn, and a hymn is a set of words. (Pardon if you know all this stuff, many people aren't aware of it, even musicians sometimes.)

To sing a Hymn you have to pair it with a tune; traditionally any tune with a suitable meter is just as proper as any other tune with said meter.

I became aware of this from doing Church gigs. The choir director would tell me "we're singing such-and-such" (Hymn) and I would then have to ask "what tune?" or I might be ill-prepared for the gig (it happens).

So... Amazing Grace is usually heard sung to the tune NEW BRITAIN (tune titles are traditionally rendered in all-caps) but here is Amazing Grace sung to a different tune, FIDUCIA, my favourite version of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFKZmcGAW0

And here's Amazing Grace sung to the tune KINGSFOLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCBrdCK7u9c

About your playing of NEW BRITAIN on the whistle, aren't you overblowing from time to time? People coming from other wind instruments often have a hard time getting used to how little wind many whistles take.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
User avatar
AuLoS303
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 2 recorders, 2 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.
Location: Darlington UK
Contact:

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by AuLoS303 »

pancelticpiper wrote:Sorry but as the resident Hymn Pedant I must interject :)

Amazing Grace is a hymn, and a hymn is a set of words. (Pardon if you know all this stuff, many people aren't aware of it, even musicians sometimes.)

To sing a Hymn you have to pair it with a tune; traditionally any tune with a suitable meter is just as proper as any other tune with said meter.

I became aware of this from doing Church gigs. The choir director would tell me "we're singing such-and-such" (Hymn) and I would then have to ask "what tune?" or I might be ill-prepared for the gig (it happens).

So... Amazing Grace is usually heard sung to the tune NEW BRITAIN (tune titles are traditionally rendered in all-caps) but here is Amazing Grace sung to a different tune, FIDUCIA, my favourite version of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFKZmcGAW0

And here's Amazing Grace sung to the tune KINGSFOLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCBrdCK7u9c

About your playing of NEW BRITAIN on the whistle, aren't you overblowing from time to time? People coming from other wind instruments often have a hard time getting used to how little wind many whistles take.
Probably yes, but I'm only a beginner and this was from last year.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
User avatar
Chifmunk
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:40 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com
Location: Germantown, NY

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by Chifmunk »

People coming from other wind instruments often have a hard time getting used to how little wind many whistles take.
Also people coming from never having played a wind instrument at all... as I can vouch. :lol:

Thanks for the info about a 'hymn' being the words only, which can be set to various tunes. Good to know.
Reminds me of how non-musicians tend to refer to all tunes as 'songs' even when the tunes are completely instrumental.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
User avatar
AuLoS303
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 2 recorders, 2 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.
Location: Darlington UK
Contact:

Re: Amazing Grace on my cheap tin whistle

Post by AuLoS303 »

I will just stick calling the tune Amazing Grace seeing as I dont sing. Not keen on those other versions, although the banjo music itself was nice
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Post Reply