Jazz/Blues Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Revdgh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play jazz and blues tin whistle and am interested in discussing this and other whistle related topics on the forum with other members. Possibly share my experiences learning to play blues and jazz on tin whistle.

Jazz/Blues Whistle

Post by Revdgh »

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum but have been playing the whistle from a good few years now. I was wondering does anyone here play blues/jazz on the whistle?

I pretty much play blues/jazz exclusively now after starting out with Irish music.

Anybody else out there?
Steve Bliven

Re: Jazz/Blues Whistle

Post by Steve Bliven »

Well, there's the whole Kwela (South African whistle jazz) school—search here and Google and YouTube—should that be of interest.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
irishmuse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by irishmuse »

Greetings Redgvh and welcome to the forum. Ah Greenloaning by the sweet Allan Water. I assume you're pretty much in Session off the A9 territory geographically and musically there. Some years ago there was a member who posted here as "educciman", he was a maker as well as a player and mainly interested in jazz applications for fipple flutes. He had a good few videos on youtube at the time playing freeform jazz but a lot of the links seem now to be dead. I don't think he currently posts here but if you google "educciman", I know he still has a website and there are several videos of him playing jazz pieces. Ditto if you use that search term in Youtube. I know this may not be much use to you if you're looking for others to play with in deepest Perthshire but it might give you some ideas/inspiration? I'm of no use to you personally as I now live in Australia (tho' I used to live in Bridge of Allan) and stick pretty much to the Scots/ Irish tunes. Anyway hope this helps in some way.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Tor

Post by Tor »

educciman still posts here, there were some postings about his ongoing research into creating a whistlehead/flute chimera, not so long ago.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I was expecting John Coltrane to appear. :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Coltrane doesn't show until well into the new year.... :wink:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Revdgh
Tell us something.: I play jazz and blues tin whistle and am interested in discussing this and other whistle related topics on the forum with other members. Possibly share my experiences learning to play blues and jazz on tin whistle.

Post by Revdgh »

Thanks for the reply I will need to check out the YouTube stuff.....yes I do live just off the A9in Perthshire. Nice to have someone on the other side of the world who knows where Greenloaning is...!!

I play jazz/blues in a duet with a guitarist who also sings. We mainly play old blues songs and jazz standards we also have played a bit of kwela too. We have posted a few videos on YouTube . If you search for "Rev Dgh" you will get an idea of the type of stuff we play.

Thanks again and regards
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hey Rev Dgh. Listened to a couple of your YouTube recordings. Great stuff, and very similar to what I've kind of stumbled into. I started playing whistle and improvising with three of my neighbors that play guitar and it ended up working really well. Then I went to the local open mic and just randomly asked some of the guitar players if I could jump in on a tune with them and that worked well too.

I did play baritone sax in jazz band in high school, so I'm not new to improvising, but that's been quite a while ago.

I was just playing along with your "Money Getting Cheaper" recording. :)

Thanks for sharing!

-Brett
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

ytliek wrote:I was expecting John Coltrane to appear. :)

Yes, I figured it was inevitable, so just wanted to go ahead and get that out of the way early on.. :)
Revdgh

Post by Revdgh »

Hi Brett....thanks for getting back to me. Glad to hear you like the stuff on YouTube. Like you I also play baritone sax but I wanted to try doing something "different". The turning point for me was meeting a blues & jazz guitarist/vocalist who was into the same music as I was.

I think the whistle works quite well on jazz and blues... particularly blues IMO.

One of the biggest issue I faced when I started playing whistle with a band was getting a decent microphone set up. I have now solved this problem with a clip on sax mic and a novel way of mounting the mic on the whistle. I can send you details/photos if you are interested?

All the best

Rev Dgh
Revdgh

Post by Revdgh »

Now that would be something......"Giant Steps" on tin whistle.....!!!
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

Les Leiber immediately came to mind :) he has clips floating around YouTube.
https://youtu.be/3vuKRiyXdxI
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Check out https://vimeo.com/63243672 for blues on a low whistle. Awesome stuff.