What is the best narrow bore whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
saintninian
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What is the best narrow bore whistle?

Post by saintninian »

Folks, I'm looking to invest in narrow bore high whistles, one in D, and one in C. My preference is metal (aluminum, brass, silver, it doesn't matter), and whistles that require little to medium air to play; and price range for each whistle can be up to US$300. If you have a favorite narrow bore whistle that fits that description, your comments and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: What is the best narrow bore whistle?

Post by plunk111 »

Mack Hoover used to make a superb brass narrow bore whistle, but I can't find it online right now. It takes very minimal air and is fairly quiet but has a really nice sound. I have one and like it a lot - it's certainly not a session whistle, but would sound fine in a mic'ed situation. When I say narrow bore and minimal air, btw, I really mean ultra narrow bore and ultra minimal air! If you have difficulty controlling your breath on the low notes, you will have problems.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Mike Clougherty
Tell us something.: Well, what can I say, I love whistling and the culture that surrounds it. I've been reading this forum for about a year, which is the same time that I've been playing the whistle, though I've been exposed to ITM for most of my life. With a name like Michael Patrick Clougherty who could've guessed? Haha. Anyway, I love this forum and the people that populate it, and I look forward to participating!

Post by Mike Clougherty »

Mack still makes the brass narrow bore whistles, I just ordered one a little while ago. Just ask him for that when you order. He's a fantastic guy to work with, very nice and quick responses!
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Are you looking for a whistle that is entirely metal? If a metal body is enough, I really like my Humphrey narrow bore. It has a metal body and delrin head. The narrow bore has a lower air requirement than my wider/session bore whistles.
Life is good.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Though what is "best" is entirely subjective- If I had to choose one, it would be the Sindt, in either key.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sindts are nice, but the current prices are a bit silly and perhaps overvalue the instrument. There are several I'd put on par: Gary Humphrey's Trad/Narrow Bore Stealth and Cillian O'Briain's improved Feadog are both excellent. I just got a Killarney and am utterly charmed with it. (The sound samples on their website are a good representation.) I also like the brass narrow bore Burke. Jerry Freeman's Blackbird and Bluebird are nice, too. (Sound samples are on his eBay listings.)

Speaking of Mack Hoover, I remember his whitecap being a sweet-sounding whistle, although it's been ages since I've had one. There are likely others that will be mentioned, but any one of those might fit the bill for you.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

tin tin wrote:Sindts are nice, but the current prices are a bit silly and perhaps overvalue the instrument.
Current prices are around the 200 dollar mark- well within the OP's price range, unless they are bought on eBay. Which, is admittedly still overpriced if one thinks the same of Burkes, Goldies, etc.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't know what counts as a narrow bore whistle, but I reckon the best whistles you can get at the moment are the Killarneys. I don't mean the best for the price - I mean that I think they're the best. I can't really see the point in paying more.

[edited to add] Of course, as ever, YMMV.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:I don't know what counts as a narrow bore whistle
Ditto. Need to clarify the question by defining your expectations of 'narrow bore'... Hoover-style ultra-narrow/delicate or just not 'session bore'/cannon/blaster.
but I reckon the best whistles you can get at the moment are the Killarneys. I don't mean the best for the price - I mean that I think they're the best. I can't really see the point in paying more.
For that style of whistle, I'd tend to agree. Though I'd still reach for my Bracker narrow bore as often and my Bracker standard bore more. (Don't personally need much else in a high D!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sirchronique wrote:
tin tin wrote:Sindts are nice, but the current prices are a bit silly and perhaps overvalue the instrument.
Current prices are around the 200 dollar mark- well within the OP's price range, unless they are bought on eBay. Which, is admittedly still overpriced if one thinks the same of Burkes, Goldies, etc.
That's better, and on par with Burke, Goldie, etc. I was remembering some that sold for $300-$400. (Pity the fool who sold his Sindt a decade ago--probably for less than $100. That would be me.)

Although I think benhall.1 has it right that's there's not much need to pay more than the $80 a Killarney costs. (But then need and want are two different things, and of course different whistles offer sounds that may be more or less desirable to one player or another...)
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

Thanks folks, these are all great suggestions. I do note a consensus forming around the Killarney brass D as a good whistle, and at a great price. Thanks for keeping your suggestions within the realm of attainability, also! Recommending whistles like a Kerry Songbird or a Water Weasel etc. would be understandable, but not practical for someone looking to buy, as they are no longer manufactured.

Please keep the recommendations coming! :thumbsup:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mike Clougherty wrote:Mack still makes the brass narrow bore whistles, I just ordered one a little while ago. Just ask him for that when you order. He's a fantastic guy to work with, very nice and quick responses!
Yep, Mack is still around. Check his web site for a listing of his whistle options and contact info. And I've found that he's sometimes open to recreating some of his "no longer listed" whistles as Mike mentions.

On a separate, but related note, Mack has given a lot over the years, both to whistlers and other causes. He's presently helping to raise funds for a veteran's art center to purchase a laser cutter/engraver. If'n you're so inclined, here's a chance to help Mack help others.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.