Looking to upgrade

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
custer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been learning to play the whistle and my teacher recommended this site to me. I am currently looking to upgrade the whistle I have currently and would like to gather as much info on what other players are using.

Looking to upgrade

Post by custer »

Hello all, I'm new here and could use some advice about choosing a new whistle.
I am a beginner and have been playing for a little while now. I currently play a
tweeked Blackbird. Nice whistle but its not really the sound I am looking for.
I would like to move up to something in the intermediate or advanced range of whistles.
I have been looking at Abell, Impempe, Killarney and some others. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Daeld
Tell us something.: Well, as you can see I have Compulsive Whistle Acquisition Disorder, although I am reforming and I have managed to get rid of a couple.
Location: Escaping from the Whistle Acquisition Disorder Rehab Centre

Re: Looking to upgrade

Post by Daeld »

Welcome to the forum!

As many people will point out, this will largely be a personal choice. In my experience, upgrading was partly based on sound quality and partly on practicality and lately on playability. When I first upgraded from mass-produced whistles, I went for a metal hand-made whistle and then to pvc and delrin. This is because I was worried about not having time to maintain more wooden instruments than I already have.
But recently, I have fallen in love with the sound quality, worksmanship and beauty of wooden whistles.

After all that, may I respectfully make the following suggestions for whistles to look at (depending on what you're after)

Wood - Oz Whistles (if you're looking at Abell, the price difference is not much and in my opinion the Oz Whistles gives you a better sounding whistle with slightly better playability). Great balance of backpressure and ease of play and loudness. These whistles can sweep you off your feet with the possibilities.

Delrin/Wood or full Delrin - Milligan Whistles - Absolutely top notch whistles; if Oz Whistles did not exist, Milligan would be my favourite wood whistle (I prefer it to Abell and it's less than half the price). Has a delrin head, which makes maintenance just that little bit easier. Also comes in Dyamondwood (spelling?) and All delrin for the lazy among us (I have them in delrin and also in cocobolo). Air requirements are a little greater than some other high-end whistles, but you get used to it and it gives you great control when you do.

Metal - I love the sound of the Syn whistle. It won't break the bank and has a great sound. It does need a little nursing in the second register (but this is common for many whistles) and has good amount of backpressure, which might take a bit of getting used to but it will give you a great deal of musical flexibility once you're onto it. Some might also suggest Burke Whistles, which are certainly great-sounding whistles, but I personally prefer my Syn Whistles to my Burke Whistles in any key.

Another thing to consider might be to try Becker Whistles (PVC). Very cheap but top quality hand-made instruments that have high-end sound and playing characteristics.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Your milage may, of course, vary.

If you have a session near you, may be able to go there and ask other whistles if they will lend you their high-end whistles; there's nothing like actually putting a fipple in your mouth and blasting away some tunes.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

What do you really mean by upgrade? The Blackbird isn't a bad whistle, so what would you prefer with a different whistle?

Playability is one thing. But I think the biggest reason to choose different whistles is sound characteristics, which is why I ask you think about your preferences. Expense is a measure of hand-craftsmanship, rather a measure of quality.

Do you want a "woody" sound or a "metal" sound?

Do you want clean tone or windy tone?

Do you want it louder for a big session, or sweet?

Do you want the upper register clean or cutting?

Answer those kinds of questions to help understand what you are looking for. Admittedly that might mean trying several different kinds of whistles. And, your taste is likely to change with experience.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Incidentally, I really like my Killarney for being very sweet and super-easy to play. It is fine for anything but a crowded session.

Coincidentally, I like my Gene Milligan for being woody sounding with a little wind-chuff and stronger volume across lower and upper register. It takes a little more breath.
Last edited by tstermitz on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Welcome!

i think the argument could be made that there is no such thing as intermediate or advanced whistles. it is more accurate, i believe, to recognize there are beginner, intermediate and advanced players.

If you want to layout the money for a high end whistle, you absolutely should. but.... it aint the whistle, it's the player. search through you tube and you will see countless amazing players using feadog's, gen's, shaw's, clarke's and the like.

if you are after a particular sound... again, listen to the vids on you tube. when you hear "that" whistle, you will know. when you ask for suggestions here, what you will get are the opinions of people. all of whom hear differently than you. that which sounds sweet to me may sound horrid to you. but, i won't hesitate to tell you how great my preferred whistle is and how horrid the others are...... it's just the nature of the beast when you pose a question like "what do you recommend...."

absolutely every whistle made is wonderful. and if you wait long enough, you will find an avid believer of every single one. some whistles enjoy a better, and arguably well deserved following. but, at the end of the day..... my ears are different than yours.

instead of asking us which whistle.... go listen.... a lot.... if possible, go to a session in your area... and listen... a lot.

when you hear that whistle.... you will know because it will sound right to YOUR ears, not mine or anybody else's.

play long... play loud... play like there is no tomorrow and aint nobody listenin'
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome to the C&F whistle forum.
custer wrote:Hello all, I'm new here and could use some advice about choosing a new whistle.
I am a beginner and have been playing for a little while now. I currently play a
What exactly is the sound you are looking for?
maki

Post by maki »

custer wrote:Hello all, I'm new here and could use some advice about choosing a new whistle.
I would like to move up to something in the intermediate or advanced range of whistles.
I have been looking at Abell, Impempe, Killarney and some others. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.
In my opinion the Blackbird is an intermediate/advanced whistle. That its not the sound you want is another matter.
Best advice is to see if you can try some expensive whistles in person.
Or, as has been discussed many times in similar threads, buy any upper end whistle and if its not the ONE, you can trade for just about anything.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
An Abell would be a great starting point, and may be the one you seek.
Best wishes.
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

If its a wooden whistle you are looking for ,you wont get much better than a MCMANUS wooden whistle
a lot cheaper than the Abell or Oz.

Search the forum or google for reviews.
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

The only one of the whistles you listed that I own is the impempe. Its a powerful whistle but has a great sound, especially in the lower octave. Its a wide bore and has a pretty sizable breath requirement, especially in the upper octave. I would describe the sound as edgy and powerful, it is quite pure as well without much chiff. I can really blast on it at a big session and completely cut through. I only use it at big sessions though, its too loud to play at home without my wife hitting me with something and I don't like it in smaller sessions either.

I really like my Gary Humphrey D+ Stealth. Its got a great sound, it was a great price and its not as loud as the impempe but very like the impempe in tone. This is my primary instrument at sessions.

I mostly play my little TJ potter at home though. Its quiet, has a nice birdlike pure sound. To me it sounds quite traditional. Great instrument but its a little too quiet for most sessions.

For me, these are all great whistles. I think there are many people who would hate them though. I find people vary widely in what they like in a whistle. So I'll echo the advice here. try a bunch and get to know what you like.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Where are you located, custer? I have a slightly cosmetically damaged Killarney I've considered trying to sell.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Like others have said, each person might have a different favorite whistle. After purchasing/selling close to 10 different maker's whistles a number of years ago, I stuck with Humphrey whistles and haven't looked for another D whistle since. I have both the wide and narrow bore models. My wide bore also has a C body that sounds great.
ScottMaurer wrote:I really like my Gary Humphrey D+ Stealth. Its got a great sound, it was a great price and its not as loud as the impempe but very like the impempe in tone. This is my primary instrument at sessions.
Life is good.
custer
Tell us something.: I have been learning to play the whistle and my teacher recommended this site to me. I am currently looking to upgrade the whistle I have currently and would like to gather as much info on what other players are using.

Post by custer »

I would like to thank everyone for welcoming me to the forum and for all of your suggestions and comments. I have done a lot of listening since I first posted and have come to some conclusions.
First, I am not sure that for me there will be any one whistle that does it all. I'm sure I will end up with at least several whistles both wood and metal. Second, I really like the sound of the wood whistles and the one that stood out for me was the Abell, so I ordered one. Third, there is nothing wrong with the whistle I have it just doesn't suit the way I play. I tend to blow hard so maybe I need something that requires more breath? Fourth, I would still like to find a metal whistle that suits me.
So any suggestion in a metal whistle that might require more breath?
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

IMO if you're looking for metal you should also consider Michael Burke. Check the whistle makers thread is good idea too if have not already done so.
I'm on it...
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

custer wrote:Second, I really like the sound of the wood whistles and the one that stood out for me was the Abell, so I ordered one. Third, there is nothing wrong with the whistle I have it just doesn't suit the way I play. I tend to blow hard so maybe I need something that requires more breath? Fourth, I would still like to find a metal whistle that suits me.
So any suggestion in a metal whistle that might require more breath?
Good call on the Abell. Lovely instruments, and I think you'll like the breath requirements. Metal whistles you can push more than the Blackbird would include Burke (even the narrow bore, which is my favorite of his line), or even another Freeman--the MellowDog or maybe the Bluebird. Since the Blackbird requires such a light touch, you'll find most whistles will accommodate a bit more breath (within reason--we're still talking about whistles here!). Or if you really want something you can lean into, a Goldie might suit. (But since he can tailor how the whistle plays, it might be best to get a better feel for what you really like before going that route.)
twil
Tell us something.: After a holiday in Ireland, I started playing. I enjoy the sound the flute makes. I'm looking to progress my playing as much as possible.

Post by twil »

Sorry for hijacking, but I'm in a similar boat looking for suggestions and didn't want to make a new thread.

I've been playing on a Walton D whistle I bought at a gift shop in Ireland for a bit and want to upgrade. I want to stay in D. My budget is 50-150 USD.

Will I feel/notice a difference between my 8$ Walton and something of higher quality in the 50-150$range?

Or, should I save a little more and bump up to the Burkes/MKs/Overtons?