I've been away a long, long time

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Clogger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

I've been away a long, long time

Post by Clogger »

Hello, my name is Martyn and I'm returning to C & F after what seems like an eternity. I remember having to make sure my wife didn't need to use the phone before unplugging it to get connected on a big noisy modem. If my memory serves me right that was back in 1999 or 2000, but this forum only seems to go back to 2001; maybe C & F has moved to a new platform or I'm just plain wrong. However, I can find no evidence of my membership on this forum, I've even registered using the same email address.

Anyway, years ago my wife got so sick of me playing the whistle that she banned me from playing in the house. She felt so guilty that she bought me a mandolin, something I could tinkle away quietly on without waking the dead. I became rather good on the mandolin (strictly my own opinion) so I transferred my new found musical skills to the fiddle. The fiddle has been my main instrument for many years now; I play in a ceilidh band, and old time American music group, a fiddle band and in a church worship group. I've played for morris dance, various styles of clog and sword dance and even busked on occasions.

In the last 12 months I have had difficulty playing the fiddle due to stiffness and pain in my hands and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. A few months ago I finally hung my fiddle up for the last time, no longer finding playing enjoyable.

I'd given up all hope of continuing to play music and decided to pack all my instruments away and put them in the loft in case the grandkids show any interest in music. It was then that I found the bag of whistles I used to play, a bit dusty and a few dead spiders, but I seem to be able to play a scale with no pain. Maybe this is the way forward; even my wife says that hearing me play whistle again has got to be better than seeing me down in the dumps. So, I'm back playing whistle again, so glad this place is still here and going strong!
Coffee

Re: I've been away a long, long time

Post by Coffee »

Welcome back Clogger.
Whistles are, if nothing else, fun.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Brus

Post by Brus »

Clogger wrote:maybe C & F has moved to a new platform
Yes, it did.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Welcome back to the whistle forum and yes whistles are fun.

For homework you should read all of the whistle threads since you left just to catch up... just kidding there. :D
johnnytheshamrock

Post by johnnytheshamrock »

Music is balm for the soul.