Has Chiff and Fipple become a SH whistles Sales site?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
wizzywig

Has Chiff and Fipple become a SH whistles Sales site?

Post by wizzywig »

I have noticed that this site has become more of a second hand whistle sales site.
Any comments?

wiz
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Has Chiff and Fipple become a SH whistles Sales site?

Post by benhall.1 »

Why? Do you have some for sale? :wink:
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

No I don't, but it seems that many posts are now about selling rather than playing and sharing info.

wiz
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Putting my serious hat back on ... I think it's something that goes in waves. There was a spate some years ago - from memory about 2008 to 2010 - when everything seemed to be a 'for sale' post. I'm sure it wasn't the case, but sometimes that's how it felt. Maybe we're in another wave.

... or we could talk about whistle playing, tunes and whistle technique. Just looking through recent posts, there seem to be quite a few about such things. I can't find it now, but there was one recently where someone suggested maybe we should all play like pipers. That was interesting, I thought.
megapop

Post by megapop »

wizzywig wrote:No I don't, but it seems that many posts are now about selling rather than playing and sharing info.
Maybe it's just that everything essential concerning playing has been said (several times) and can now be accessed via the search function. Now and then a new maker will be discussed or someone is waxing lyrical about their latest acquisition, but apart from that... all quiet on the western front, I suppose. The information is already there.

As for sales, why not? Might be useful for some. Personally, I just find those multi-posts a bit annoying since they unnecessarily clutter the "active topics" view. Why not confine these posts to the UIE? But oh well.

Anyway, so what do you want to talk about, wiz? :)
return null;
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Actually, I thought it was becoming a piping site :P . Lots of posts about chanters and sets. I'm ignoring those because I know my limits.

In part, I think C&F has a lengthy enough history that some of the members might have realized:

1) After a long time, they still can't play worth a darn, so they're quitting or at least cutting back on instruments. Of course, a certain number of us like to try different whistles and flutes, and keep changing our minds which we prefer, or keep our funds tied up in.;

2) They want to devote some $$ and effort to other activities/interests. That interest could possibly be other instruments or accessories. I'm fixing up a couple of electric basses, looking for new (lighter) cases, maybe a beater guitar;

3) Family comes first, and maybe it's better to spend some time with them. Or it's third. Here it's third.;

4) Health constraints - their own or in care of others. My dad just had his 98th birthday.;

5) Financial concerns. Or Greed, yeah, greed. Money...want. Could be for those topics above. Or chocolate. Prices keep going up.

6) Cats. OK, maybe that's just me. I spend considerable time and $ on trapping, neutering, taming, medical, etc. If you're in/near Los Angeles, I have kittens (and even fine adult cats) that could use homes. Let them suck YOU dry for a change.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

megapop wrote: Maybe it's just that everything essential concerning playing has been said (several times) and can now be accessed via the search function.
The search function has been a great tool, especially for someone like me. I still consider myself a newbie to the music and instrument, and try not to bother the more experienced players more than I already have. Many have helped me out, and it's greatly appreciated, so I try not to ask the same things they've read/heard probably a hundred times already.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Newbie-ish kinda guy here. The secondary market doesn't always appeal to me as I prefer a new build and in wood. I do have used wood whistles purchased. The whistle forum does have a sales flavor, but, not entirely and I've learned a lot about different types of whistles available from reading the threads even if I'm not interested. I think SH has a place and I've seen trading whistles as another means to try a particular whistle because the music stores don't carry large inventory and usually not the custom made crafted whistle.

I certainly appreciate all the long-time members who have chimed in on topics as I find the "search" feature hugely valuable and I use it almost daily. I also appreciate all the help along my whistle way.

So the real meaty topic threads come along when they do and play out. Meanwhile whistles are being moved around globally. It is what it is.

So what is the current state of pure drop Irish Trad?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's something to be said for, with the buy and sell forum functioning well enough, diverting all adds for buying and selling to the instrument exchange forum. Especially all the posts that only provide a link to that forum anyway.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

What's wrong with having sales and requests for whistles? It's cheaper than selling on eBay and provides a service to the worldwide whistling community. Chiff & Fipple was always about whistles so why limit its scope.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's nothing wrong with it, but if the sales start outnumbering the threads that have an actual subject we can discuss the forum is in trouble. Diverting the trading to the Instrument Exchange Forum (should the mods take that route, I was just thinking out loud) is hardly banning it, is it? All in its own time and place and all that..
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Sorry, I'm multi-tasking here and didn't fully understand the discussion. No, I think you're right. Confining all buying and selling to the UIE and banning links to the UIE from the main forum would certainly clean it up a lot.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mikethebook wrote:Sorry, I'm multi-tasking here and didn't fully understand the discussion. No, I think you're right. Confining all buying and selling to the UIE and banning links to the UIE from the main forum would certainly clean it up a lot.
Nope. That can't work without additional policy changes and loss of functionality. Currently we are not allowed to add comments to a UIE thread, only the OP and mods can. Posts in the Whistle, Flute or other forums allows discussion, questions, etc. that can at times be valuable.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I'm all for the UIE and if replies could be made there the whistle, flute, pipes forums would have much less baggage. Cross-posting just seemed to allow broader exposure for those individuals who don't follow multiple forums.

Cross posted with kkrell.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

I agree. I'm not sure why replies etc, discussions are not allowed in the UIE forum. I'm sure there must be a good reason.