Whistle Review: Katalox Hardwood D Whistle by Tyrone Head

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rubenroks12
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle Review: Katalox Hardwood D Whistle by Tyrone Head

Post by rubenroks12 »

Hello to the folks at Chiff and Fipple! As my first proper post here on our little forum, I decided to do a review on my favourite whistle.

The whistle in question is a Katalox hardwood whistle with brass ferules in the key of D. It was made by Mr. Tyrone Head, of TheFluteMaker.com and Handmadeflutes.com . Despite having gone through a handful of other high-end whistles (even more expensive), this little instrument is still my go-to whistle. Having prices ranging from $100USD BELOW, Mr. Head's single piece hardwood whistles are a huge bang for the buck. The craftsmanship and the playability is comparable (if not better) than more expensive whistles.

Apperance and Construction
Overall, the whistle is very well made. The body is made of a super dense Katalox hardwood. The ferules are made of heavy brass with a very nice Celtic knot pattern engravings. The fipple block is made of what looks to be delrin or some other dense black polymer. The finger holes are very cleanly cut and aligned well. The length and bore of the whistle is well polished and brought to a bit of a shine with oil. The only flaws I find are the small bits of stray glue near the ferules. They are barely noticeable though. The labium ramp is also not as smooth as the rest of the whistle, but I am okay with that. It tells you that hands-on care was taken when voicing the whistle.

Tone and Volume
The whistle is very sweet. Infact, it is the sweetest player that I have ever played. The tone is very pure and birdlike, yet it still maintains a distinct open and whistle-y sound (not at all like a nasal recorder). It plays with quiet to medium volume that plays beautifully when amplified through a mic. On its own, it also plays very well with medium sized sessions. The volume is very well balanced between octaves. It plays quiet pleasantly even in to the third octave. However, being voiced pure and sweet, do not expect the bell note to honk like a wide bore Mezzo D chieftain whistle.

Air Volume and Back Pressure
The whistle takes fairly little air to play. I am able to play very long passages without finding myself out of breath. It is very air efficient and feels as if all of the air pushed in is used as sound. None is wasted as white noise. This does make the whistle a little bit touchy in the bell note, but nothing that a beginner can't manage. Due to a medium-high back pressure, it provides a nice resistance that gives you a really good feel for octave transitions.

Resposiveness
The whistle is relatively responsive. It is good enough to play very fast tunes; but it is not as responsive as a Susato. It is just a few steps below it.

Tuning
Tuning is very good on this whistle, despite being a single piece non-tunable model, it plays perfectly in A440 (for me; your mileage may vary depending on how you blow). Infact, I use this whistle as a bench mark when it comes to tuning my other instruments. Intonation is spot on as far as I can tell. The second octave is well in tune with the first octave. Although I haven't tried taking a tuner to the third octave yet, it sounds okay to my tuning sensitive ears.

Wind Resistance
This maybe the only flaw with the whistle. It is not very resistant to wind. also since it is not tuneable, you do not have the option of turning the head upside-down to counteract that. It won't be a problem if you play indoors. Just don't expect the low octave to play as well when playing on a gusty day.

Conclusions
All in all, this whistle is probably the best bang for buck on the market. I would highly recommend it to people looking for a good wooden whistle. With the price-range, it is very easily affordable for beginners and would surely satisfy the more experienced whistlers. Drop Mr. Tyrone Head a line on his websites (mentioned above). He is a great guy to deal with, replying quick and detailed. He takes care of his clients well. Check out his websites HandMadeFlutes.com and TheFluteMaker.com . The whistles are listed in stock and are ready to ship. Should you want to see videos, a quick youtube search of his websites direct to how it's made videos and playing samples (including mine)

Cheers! I hope my first post here on the forum is a helpful one! :D :) :thumbsup:
Last edited by rubenroks12 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Whistle Review: Katalox Hardwood D Whistle by Tyrone Head

Post by Jayhawk »

Lovely looking whistle! I'd not heard of this maker before...truly a piece of art.
saintninian

Post by saintninian »

I checked out the two sites you mentioned, and listened to some of the videos - very nice! Thanks for a very thorough review. Do you happen to know where in the US Tyrone is located, and what the turn-around time is to receive a whistle you have ordered?
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

Hi saintninian

If I recall correctly, he works from California. The turn around time is super fast. He usually ships on the day or after the day of the payment. The instruments on his website are all on hand unless specified otherwise. That's quite a treat for a hand crafted wooden instrument.

Drop him a line! He's a great guy to talk to. If you decide to get one of his instruments, tell him Ruben sent you there :)
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Nice review, but, it could've included the fact that TH has been around C&F a lot longer than your post. His designs may have changed thru the years. Some basic "searches" using the function from the upper right hand corner would've shown plenty of TH references. Just saying.

viewtopic.php?p=952314#p952314
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

Thanks for the tip ytliek! I'm still getting used to working around the forum and all. I hope my first contributions were helpful! :)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Wow.

Love the presentation!

Here's a maker to look at.

Looking close at the woodwork - that is looking good!

Looking close at the metalwork .. it does not get better that that!

This is coming together!

For the price - this is looking like value to me.

I expect the price to rise - believe me, I know how hard it is to get presentation as good as this - it will get better .. and better .. and better.

I am looking forward to see and hear the tuneable version!

Go Tyrone!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

I just bought one of these on the strength of you review. Purchased it at 1030 and woke up with a shipping notice in my inbox with an apology for taking so long to ship.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Here TH is in the workshop. Wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9fbR52kncE
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

Got mine. Love it. Really unbeatable for the price and just a nice instrument all around.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Would love to see photos of your whistle. I know what the website whistles look like already, however...
ScottMaurer

Post by ScottMaurer »

I'll be happy to post some pics. I don't have an easy way to do that at work but I'll see what I can do later.
rubenroks12

Post by rubenroks12 »

Hello CF Folks!

Sorry for not have gotten back to the forum soon enough. I was busy doing fieldwork for my thesis.

Anyway, I am very happy about the warm welcome to the forum. I'm glad that my review had some influence.

Mitch, the whistles are the best value I have encountered myself. About the tuneable versions, they pop up on the websites from time to time. Naturally, they are priced higher than the non-tunables. I'd suggest dropping Mr. Head a line if he has any in stock. :D

Scott Maurer, I'm glad my review convinced you to get a whistle! Enjoy your new instrument. Yes, Mr. Head is a great guy to talk to. :)
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I thought Mr. Head was actually a forum member, but I, of course, might not recall correctly, as I've been stuck in less internet-friendly places for a while.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Coffee wrote:I thought Mr. Head was actually a forum member
Yes, he is. Started posting in 2010. Username is Tyiam. His last participation was in late 2012, AFAIK.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14440

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.