Calling all players - Recording project!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Aodhan »

Hey all-

After reading some posts, I had an idea. It might have already been done, but I'd like to try it anyway.

I want to build a "beginners archive" of clips. Get together with a few players, and have each player record 10 or so different tunes, on the same whistle. (I.E. All tunes from one player are on the his/her favorite whistle, not switching whistles between tunes.)

They would be recorded as "naked" tunes, one time each at slow, medium and session speeds.

I would also need a couple intrepid players to do different speed recordings of flicks, cuts, rolls, with a voice explanation of what they are doing. Something along the lines of "A cut is when you are playing a note, and tap a finger on the next lowest note briefly to 'cut' down and back up. Here is a G note with an F cut."

This way a beginner can download a sheet music GIF, and be able to play/listen to it in 3 different speeds.

Anyone that is interested, please contact me off the board at Aodhan at gaeliccrossings dot com. I think about 4 players to start (That would give us 40 tunes as a basis) should be sufficient.

Oh, and any thoughts anyone?

Aodhan
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Sounds very good to me, Aodhan. I'd like to participate, however I'd have to round up a recording setup...

Would it just be Whistle info, or would you want other instruments as well??
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

That sounds like a terrific resource.

I assume you mean, have established players record the tunes, for the benefit of those of us who are learning. Yes?

If there are some who would be willing to spare the time and effort I, for one, would be grateful.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

I would be interested. Next on my to do list is actually a brief tutorial/introduction to the whistle & bodhran on our site anyway... so I could kill two birds!

By the way, if you have the Amazing Slow Downer you can slow down tunes and save them that way. That way you could just play it up to tempo and then save the files at say 50% speed for beginners. That would save you getting a bunch of good takes.

We just put up the Amazing Slow Downer purchase info on our site. We don't make a bunch of cash for selling it (basically a small referal fee) but it helps to pay the bills! It is the same price as anywhere else but you support a whistle related purpose!

Do you need server space? I'd be up for donating...

Cool idea... I'll think of what tunes I want to post... We'll need to get on the same page...

As far as the quality factor... It might be good to have a "quality czar". One problem that I see with people learning tunes off of tin whistle tunes is that the range of ability varies quite a bit. A total beginner would not necessarily be able to decifer a good setting/interpretation of a tune... We might want to get someone who has dedicated themselves to learning tunes in a session environment and who learns mostly by ear from good sources... That is how I learn tunes myself and I am dedicated to learning common settings as I play in a session every week. I'm not suggesting that it be me by the way... Although I'm not opposed... I wouldn't mind being subjected to the approval of a "quality czar" at all...

Great idea!
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2003-02-20 12:46, The Whistling Elf wrote:
Sounds very good to me, Aodhan. I'd like to participate, however I'd have to round up a recording setup...

Would it just be Whistle info, or would you want other instruments as well??
Initially it will be whistle and flute, although I wouldn't be adverse to adding other instruments down the line. :grin:
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

That sounds awesome! It would be great to have some tunes to learn at different speeds, to work up to. Since I have no idea what "session speed" means, it would be very educational.

Robin