This bothers me

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
NancyF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by NancyF »

On 2002-08-04 16:59, DavidSchulz wrote:

... oh sure well go ahead and
mispronounce Uilleann...
:roll:
So David, how DO you pronounce Uilleann? I thought I knew, then heard someone say something else recently.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Someone told me it was "ill an"
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

The US Treasury minted a steel penny in 1943. I will trade anyone who has one a whistle for it made from whatever material you choose. Well, maybe not wooden. I retired from woodworking.
Mack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2002-08-08 23:45 ]</font>
Bassoonistling

Post by Bassoonistling »

Mack I have pennys from 1935,1942,1952,1953,1953, Will these work?
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Mack I've sent you a couple emails in the last few days, one tonight about this. If you haven't been getting them please let me know, thanks.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Houston,
They will if you bring them in person to my shop. But then I give a free whistle to anyone who visits my shop anyway.

Beth if you do procure those three I'll trade. I have gotten your emails. Did you get mine?
Mack
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

I got the one today about the pennies, but no other ones since the 24th which was about the celt fest.
Mack.Hoover

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Beth,
I guess that covers them, if I remember correctly.

Mack
computer-mom

Post by computer-mom »

A couple years back, I told my cousin that I had played pennywhistle in the Anchorage Fur Rondy Talent Show. She asked me what a pennywhistle was. When I went back to Indiana for a visit and showed it to her, she said, "That's a flute!"

Everybody at my workplace calls it a flute too. So I call it a whistle or a pennywhistle when I'm around Irish music fans, but refer to it as a flute when talking to other folks. However, if anybody sees me playing and asks what it is, I say, "A pennywhistle. It's a type of flute used in Irish & British folk music."

The schools here (in Anchorage) teach the kids to play recorders, so a lot of people mistake it for one of those.
Bassoonistling

Post by Bassoonistling »

I am sorry, I am not planning a trip to colorado anytime soon... and also what kinda deal is that?... I could get a free whistle anyway lol
Whistling is to Boredom as Kryptonite is to Superman
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

This is kind of off topic but since we are talking about Mack's whistles I figured he would get a kick out of this. I am fairly new to the forum and am just learning about all the different makes of whistles. On the first few days I was on the forum someone mentioned something about a "Hoover" and I couldn't figure out what in the world vacuume cleaners had to do with playing penny whistles. Well, I just had to share how dumb I was, I got a laugh out of it, I hope you do too. And Mack, if I ever get to Colorado, I will be sure to stop in and get one of the free ones you give out.

Cheers
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

You have no idea how right you were...

<center>Image</center>
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

On 2002-08-09 22:25, avanutria wrote:

Wow!!! I'm not as dumb as I thought I was! Ha Ha! That's just so funny, How am I gonna got to bed now with that picture in my head! I will be having vacuum cleaner nightmares! Ok now tell me did they make any music with those things? And if they did how did it sound? Got any clips?

Edited to ask another question: Which one is Mack?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chattiekathy on 2002-08-09 22:33 ]</font>
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Mack's in the middle. I dunno, I wasn't there at the time. Got the pic in an email from one of the other two clowns in the pic. I'll let them come forward themselves though *grin*
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

On 2002-08-09 22:25, avanutria wrote:
I had one of those and it sucked.

(Disclaimer: This opinion did not come from a certified whistle testing committee of trained professionals)
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>