Davy Spillane Low D Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Well, that'll motivate you to keep on livin' if nothing else will. :lol: :lol:

"Stuff" really is quite a big problem. It is actually good to get some laughs out of it!

[Oh, I just figured out what hijack and endjack meant.]
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have read this post over twice now just to see where everyones responses are heading, where they have been and how they got to where they are now.

I still don't understand how Phil's first response to the thread was taken as a self-promoting post and a thrashing of a competitor. Heres my reasons why and a couple of suggestions:

1) Davy Spillane Low D......was to be this whistle of all whistles and its not...its an extreme disappointment.
2) For the cost of $200, one would expect a whistle that would resemble what Davy plays which is a solid aluminum whistle and not a Howard look a like. (Nothing wrong with Howard's at all, I own one) but just expected this whistle to be different.
3) In NO WAY can the abilities of Davy and his whistle making be compared to Phil and his abilities. Phil has manufactured 1000's and Davy has manufactured 1 that we know of. So in no way can Davy be seen as a competitor to Phil.
4) I don't know what the history is between Bernard Overton and Phil. I careless. Damn let it rest...Given a piece of aluminum....I challenge every maker out there to come up with a unigue design. The difference between the maker is in the sound the whistle produces and thats it, I don't give a flying %&^$ of the science behind the design, where the design originated or how similar it is to another maker, other than producing a unique sound, they all have six holes, a window and mouth piece. In regards to Overtons and Kerry's I have played them both...they are both great whistles... and both makers sell a lot of them. End of discussion.
5) I don't run this forum and I wouldn't want the responsibilty of doing so, but my suggestion would be to ban all commercial posts of all professional makers and musicians from this site, this would equalize everything. As an alternative to finding out whats new, the maker or musician can send out a email which some chose to do or If you want to know whats new go the makers site just as you do this site and see whats new. Its a pretty simple and sound solution.

The above is just my opinion without slander to any parties and protection guaranteed to me under the 1st amendment.

:)
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

KDMARTINKY wrote: 3) In NO WAY can the abilities of Davy and his whistle making be compared to Phil and his abilities. Phil has manufactured 1000's and Davy has manufactured 1 that we know of...
Out of curiosity, I thought this was not a hand made whistle anyway (this Spillane model) rather that it was machine produced to some pre determined specifications. We know that the Kerry Pros & Overtons are more than that. Numbers aside, it seems that here would be no competition here with this "new" design from Spillane. Yes? :-?
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Agreed!
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
dapple

Post by dapple »

Davy Spillane Low D......was to be this whistle of all whistles . . . .
What has made people think that when Spillane offered a whistle for public consumption it would be a whistle to rival the best? Did he say that it would be Overton-like or the same whistle he used years ago to make his fame? Did he say that it would be the same whistle he currently uses to record? I’m relatively new to Irish music and to Chiff & Fipple; I only know what I have read here during the past year and a half, but I had the impression that Spillane hasn’t said much of anything.

The price certainly would lead a trusting buyer to believe that he is getting a top-of-the-line whistle, but Spillane simply seems to be selling his name along with his whistle.

That said, I appreciate Bloomfield for having personally invested in and investigated this Spillane whistle controversy.
~ David
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

[quote="Stu H"][quote="cavefish"]all i can say is that i had my whistle made from bernerd overton himself [/quote]

Would this not be a bit messy?[/quote]

say what ever you need to say , i know what i know and you know what you know, if it builds you up , oh well
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

quote from peeplj. "cavefish, you've had an interesting history in the short time you've been on the boards. I was looking through your previous postings, which anyone on the boards can do. It makes for interesting reading. "

is this supposed to be a verbal hit, i suppose you are all that, mister PERFECT, HUH.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Caveish,
Go to Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options...
Click on the content tab, select the button marked "My Profile"
See if "Sense of Humour" is checked.
(It is normally the default setting)

Smoot
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

10-4
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

cavefish wrote:as far as proving it , the only way to prove it is to bring names into the picture, somebody already did this with colin goldie, and it did not please him , all i can say is that i had my whistle made from bernerd overton himself through a mutual friend who knows and played with spillane i have had his phone number given to me from spillane,and was told to call if any advice was needed, - i have never called on that subject because it was never any of my buisness, although i tend to believe my friend and what i have seen in the past, spillane is one of the best innovative players around , and like all people in the lime light. someome else always thinks they have found the secrets to their success and that causes rumours. Davy,s whistles are all aluminium (tweeked and natural). with reverb and echo and a very good control of air expansion. like i said he is a pro thats his secret. not the whistle

Well, I'd like to point out to you that Davy Spillane (not someone speaking as him, but Davy Spillane himself) has stated categorically that he plays his own whistles and he has always played his own whistles.

Not that everybody believes him, but if it were true, there would be no reason to assume that the whistles he sells shouldn't be all aluminum, like the ones he says he makes.

So, your initial comment just doesn't make any sense.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

my conections are friends with overton and spillane and that is what i am told . as far as if it is true , maybe he learned how to make them from overton , who cares . i play overtons made from the same , as far as trying to win this argument , do what ever makes you feel good, i got it from the source not from things i read
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well.

My sources can beat up your sources!

PPBBBTTHHHHH.

So there. Smartypants.

Best wishes,
Jerry
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

cavefish wrote:my conections are friends with overton and spillane and that is what i am told . as far as if it is true , maybe he learned how to make them from overton , who cares . i play overtons made from the same , as far as trying to win this argument , do what ever makes you feel good, i got it from the source not from things i read
I don't doubt that, but so did we.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

"so did we" whats we ,you got a mouse in your pocket
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think the only real argument, at least up till now, was rather the thing really existed.

Bloomfield bought one, answering that question but raising others.

Perhaps your perspective would be more clear if you made clear what the nature of your relationship with Mr. Spillane is. Are you a student? Someone he has recorded with? A fan of his work?

--James