.4K - A Season to Be Brief: WE HAVA A WINNER

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What's the best short piece of prose?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:55 am

Cloven
9%
Annie's Baby
9%
Got a Cigarette?
2%
Zany Granddaughter
26%
Cautious Captain
23%
The Associate
2%
Blueberry Summer
7%
Sarah shuffles through fallen leaves...
7%
Our Song
9%
Dissolution
5%

Total votes: 43

Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Bloomfield wrote:Anyway, I've emailed Will O'B: he & his wife cast the last votes without realizing that I had closed the poll.
What can I say but, "Oooops!" :oops: I would like to apologize to everyone for my part in this scandal. I guess that's what happens when I conduct business on the phone while trying to vote: I miss some of the little nuances . . . like the voting is over. Personally, for what its worth, I think that both the "Captain" and the "Grandmother" were great pieces and both should be looked at as "winners" and posted in Dale's RHP. The fact that the vote, before and after the fiasco, was so close says a lot about how we all felt about both of the writings. Anyway, congratulations to both of you for some nice prose. You're both winners in my book. :)

Who knows, but perhaps chiffers in years to come will refer to this dark moment as "WILLO'BGATE." What a legacy. :roll:

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Very Worst Entry! Very Worst Entry!!

Eat my dust, Paul. :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nano wrote:Very Worst Entry! Very Worst Entry!!

Eat my dust, Paul.

:moreevil: :evil: cough! Man, I still can't believe this!

*spits out dust
:D :lol:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Sometimes I misread Cautious Captain as Captain Cautious and think it's the name of a tentative superhero.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

FJohnSharp wrote:Sometimes I misread Cautious Captain as Captain Cautious and think it's the name of a tentative superhero.
:D

CAPTAIN CAUTIOUS would like to remind you all to Be Safe! Go Slow! And Bring a Sweater!
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bloomfield wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:Sometimes I misread Cautious Captain as Captain Cautious and think it's the name of a tentative superhero.
:D

CAPTAIN CAUTIOUS would like to remind you all to Be Safe! Go Slow! And Bring a Sweater!
GRAMMAR GIRL would like to remind CAPTAIN CAUTIOUS to go Slowly, and furthermore, she recommends Gore-tex over a sweater as you can't count on the rain in Spain to stay mainly in the plain!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:GRAMMAR GIRL would like to remind CAPTAIN CAUTIOUS to go Slowly ....
CAPTAIN CAUTIOUS would like to remind GRAMMAR GIRL to look before she leaps.

slowly adv.
slowness n.
Synonyms: slow, dilatory, leisurely, laggard, deliberate
These adjectives mean taking more time than is usual or necessary. Slow is the least specific: a slow bus; a slow heartbeat; slow to anger. Dilatory implies lack of promptness caused by delay, procrastination, or indifference: paid a late fee because I was dilatory in paying the bill. Leisurely suggests a relaxed lack of haste: went for a leisurely walk by the river. Laggard implies hanging back or falling behind: “the horses' laggard pace” (Rudyard Kipling). Deliberate suggests a lack of hurry traceable especially to caution or careful consideration, as of consequences: worked in a systematic and deliberate manner.

Usage Note: Slow may sometimes be used instead of slowly when it comes after the verb: We drove the car slow. In formal writing slowly is generally preferred. Slow is often used in speech and informal writing, especially when brevity and forcefulness are sought: Drive slow! Slow is also the established idiomatic form with certain senses of common verbs: The watch runs slow. Take it slow.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=slow
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

GRAMMAR GIRL thinks idioms are for lazies.
emmline

Post by emmline »

And furthermore, GRAMMAR GIRL...just got sucked into the VORTEX OF DOOM....ouch....oof...let go of my hair...hey! Lorna's in here too!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

OK, you two; take it easily.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Sorry. My bad...ly behaved alter-ego.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:OK, you two; take it easily.
what is it that they are taking, and why must it be something that is easily taken? Why can't they take it more difficultly? Or perhaps even they should be told to take it outside...goodness knows that it's crowded enough in here for them to keep whatever it is they are taking in here! :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bloom is behaving. I was not. I time-outed myself. I'm ready to come back in.
edit:(but I probably don't even get part of the worm now.)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:Bloom is behaving. I was not. I time-outed myself. I'm ready to come back in.
edit:(but I probably don't even get part of the worm now.)
I like it better when you misbehave, of course.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

OK, let's see here. Flyingcurse and scottielvr have to be in touch with Dale about their prizes. Perhaps they don't each want the same thing, which would be convenient. Unless either of you want the tweaked whistle.

Then there is the third place. We have three third placers: em, sunfx, and LeeMarsh. Assuming that a Bloomfield tweaked whistle is the (prize) dregs, we face the unforeseen contingency of three third places and one poor overworked Bloomfield. If it were two third places, that would be easy enough: one gets the head the other the tube. Maybe I still have that hacksaw....

Does anyone have brilliant suggestions? And would scottielvr and ClyingFursor please express their prize preference, either here or privately to me.

Thanks.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield