Watchya listenin' to?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

dubhlinn wrote:
izzarina wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:That gig in Coventry (Vermont, not the Coventry just up the road from Swindon) looked to have been Phish's last. It would seem that Phish have had their chips...
and ate them too??? :P

H
A chip eating Phish......
Will one of ye tell her whats goin' on here....
I'd be too embarrased.....

Slan,
D.
:roll:
Peter's reference at least is to An Phis Fluich, which means "the wet, um, phis" and which is also called O'Farrell's Welcome to Limerick or sometimes The Choice Wife by those who have both a knowledge of Gaelic and a sense of propriety.

Great to hear that I am not the only one who like Mary Coughlan. I agree that her singing is remarkably emotional and powerful. I love the bluesy, languid early stuff.
/Bloomfield
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

Peter's reference at least is to An Phis Fluich, which means "the wet, um, phis"
Someone (possibly on IRTRAD? Can't remember) referred to that tune as "The Poor Little Kitty that Fell in the Bog."

I've got Miles Davis' Kind of Blue on now...
markv

Post by markv »

I've been drifting away from ITM a bit farther north. A fellow band member has been doing more Scandanavian fiddle tunes than anything else and they are starting to rub off. Groupa's "Lavalek" and Vasen's "Gront" are currently swapping places regularly in the car. Also two Taraf de Haiduks cds are getting fairly consistent play because the kids and I love 'em.

Other than that, just various different folk tunes from around the world.

A lot of my musical tastes can be summed up by this quote from Neal Stephenson, "...like all ethnic groups that have been consistently screwed for a long time the Qwghlmians have great music." Just substitute various cultures for Qwghlmians.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Dervish
CobraCmdr

Post by CobraCmdr »

GaryKelly wrote:That gig in Coventry (Vermont, not the Coventry just up the road from Swindon) looked to have been Phish's last. It would seem that Phish have had their chips...
yes indeed....there will be no more live Phish. It's a good thing there are literally hundreds of perfect soundboard recordings of their shows available for download. God bless bands with open taping policies. I've got 10/04/90 workin right now :)
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I've been listening to a couple of cds all summer and I'm still not sick of them...

Musiq Soulchild, "Juslisen" (yes, I know nobody else here listens to hiphop). :P

John McSherry & Michael McGoldrick,

and right now I'm listening to Bruce Molsky, my favorite Old-time fiddle player.

Most of the time these days I just listen to the session tapes I made last summer (trying to pick up tunes).

Justine
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Bloomfield wrote:Peter's reference at least is to An Phis Fluich, which means "the wet, um, phis" and which is also called O'Farrell's Welcome to Limerick or sometimes The Choice Wife by those who have both a knowledge of Gaelic and a sense of propriety.
Ah...seems I'm showing my ignorance again...mea culpa! :wink:

H
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I've been listening to Natalie MacMaster's live CD for the last couple of months. (It's a good thing you can't wear out CDs!)

If you like fiddle music you've got to listen to her playing. She da bomb!

Aldon :D <-- still my favorite emoticon!
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

markv wrote:I've been drifting away from ITM a bit farther north. A fellow band member has been doing more Scandanavian fiddle tunes than anything else and they are starting to rub off. Groupa's "Lavalek" and Vasen's "Gront" are currently swapping places regularly in the car. Also two Taraf de Haiduks cds are getting fairly consistent play because the kids and I love 'em.

Other than that, just various different folk tunes from around the world.

A lot of my musical tastes can be summed up by this quote from Neal Stephenson, "...like all ethnic groups that have been consistently screwed for a long time the Qwghlmians have great music." Just substitute various cultures for Qwghlmians.

Mark V.
LimuHead wrote:I've been listening to Natalie MacMaster's live CD for the last couple of months. (It's a good thing you can't wear out CDs!)

I agree about Natalie! I also have this CD set. Very nice! :D :D

Both of you may also want to check out Annbjørg Lien's "Prisme" album. To me, the sound is like I would imagine if Väsen and Altan joined forces. (Not O.T., either - there's some good high and low whistle playing on some of the tracks.)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i love david hasselhoff
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

amar wrote:i love david hasselhoff
This thread isn't about sexual attraction, it's about what music you're listening to. :P
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Brian McNamara's 2 solo recordings are getting real steady playing time lately.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

LimuHead wrote:I've been listening to Natalie MacMaster's live CD for the last couple of months. (It's a good thing you can't wear out CDs!)

Nuttin' like Cape Breton fiddlin'. I only have blueprint, but there are a couple keepers on that.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Maybe someone can help me here. Anyone know whether Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh has any solo cds? Or any cds where she is heard more than she is with Danu? Preferably Irish songs since I've heard that she also does some gospel type stuff.[/i]
glauber

Post by glauber »

OnTheMoor wrote:Maybe someone can help me here. Anyone know whether Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh has any solo cds? Or any cds where she is heard more than she is with Danu? Preferably Irish songs since I've heard that she also does some gospel type stuff.
There is one, but it's out of print and it's heck to get a hold of. The Dingle Record Shop had a few copies (that's where i got mine), may still have a couple. It's called "The Morning Star", and it's wonderful. Unfortunately no whistle there, just voice and flute. All Irish stuff. I read somewhere it was a college project.

Oh, and in http://www.whistleanddrum.com , the sound clip demo for the O'Briain high D is by her.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--