Whistle embouchure.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

My original questions were:
So.....who here is aware of their embouchure when playing the whistle?
Are you aware of what effect embouchure has on whistle playing?
Is it important?
In the first question I was not talking about the embouchure of the whistle but the shape of ones mouth when playing the whistle.
Playing with tighter cheeks or loose cheeks does have an effect on the sound coming out of the whistle. I can hear the difference between slack/ loose cheeks when I play and that is what I am referring to when I say 'embouchure'.
As Peter Laban pointed out:
In time you will learn to control your breath, like playing any instrument you need to listen to yourself all the time and adjust as best you can to get the best sound you're able to.
Heed what Peter says, but remember that simply controlling your breath will not get the 'best sound' on its own.

As to the second question: Are you aware, that is, can you hear the difference when you tighten/loosen up the mouth when you play?

Third question: Is it important? For me, Yes, a simple adjustment to the way a whistle is mouthed can make a difference to the cleanness of sound/tone/response. This is especially so on some ( I would venture to say most) low whistles.

It is not rocket science folks, my intent is not to over analyse, just to point out a simple adjustment to make your whistle playing even more enjoyable! :D
I am probably aiming these questions more toward the newer/less experienced type of players.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!