Free Low-D (The Competition)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

Princess Bride, Folks!

Come (with lots of sarcastic emphasis) ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink: :wink: :D
Last edited by lordofthestrings on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

My memory is fuzzy but I think I get it now. Sorry :)
lordofthestrings

I'm sorry if I'm a little over zealous bout that. Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies!!!
- - - Spence - - -
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

lordofthestrings wrote: Princess Bride
:-? ?????????????????????? :-?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
lordofthestrings

- - - Spence - - -
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Wobbly Thread Entry # 407

"I repeat! It's a trap!

Do NOT................SEEK...............the Whistle!"

(Yes. I have forsaken the Princess, and am still....seeking...the...whistle. Brother!)
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
kevrex

Post by kevrex »

my only hope is that pastorkeith is really some kind of vegas high-roller who likes telling tales of orphans just so he can savor the sweet taste of another win. if that's not the case, i'll have to pull out the big guns. my son (yes, he has two parents and a home -- sheesh) is subjected to ukulele music every day (yes, i'm the one subjecting him, but in my state it's legal). i've tried playing the pennywhistle for him, but there's a problem. the second octave of a d whistle causes physical pain to his mom. the obvious answer is to spirit the boy away during the night, leaving the ukulele and mom behind, but i've grown fond of all parties involved. the next best thing would appear to be to snatch the low d whistle from the needy orphans and play "ode to joy," "devil's dance floor," and "those endearing young charms" (all his favorites) on it. keeps him happy, keeps his mom in his life, and lets me play a whistle. the downside is orphans with no shoes, though the more i think about it, the more the vegas high-roller story sounds like the truth.
Last edited by kevrex on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

"The Reel of Sean and Seamus", or, "Why i think i should get the whistle...."

One night, I awoke from troubled dreams and heard a strange and mournful tune coming from my backyard. A little wary of the woods behind my house, I tried to ignore the music, but it was so strange and so beautiful that I couldn’t help but investigate. Still in my pajamas but grabbing a jacket and shoes, I traipsed out into the woods behind my house, following the sound of what I soon realized to be uillean pipes.
A man of middling age sat in a clearing in the woods, playing a song so beautifully that before I realized it tears were rolling down my face and the strangeness of a stranger out in the woods behind my house in the middle of the night fled from my mind, replaced by an almost tangible curiosity. When his song was finished he looked at me and smiled a smile tinged with sadness and called me forward. A tiny fear bubbled inside me at his beckon, but he assured me that I had nothing to fear from him and begged me listen to his tale.

His name was Seamus, he said, Seamus Gully, and proceeded to tell me a tale that even now, having pondered it for months, am still not quite certain I believe, and it is only, actually since reading your post about the Low D whistle that I have actually started to believe him. I’ll relate the story he told me to you as best as I can remember it, and from that you can judge whether or not I am worthy to receive the whistle.

Long ago there were two brothers, Sean and Seamus, twin musicians that could play so beautifully that even the Fair Folk would sneak to their performances and steal an audience with the great player of the pipes and his twin, the whistler. Now even though the brothers were identical, the whistler was possessed of a disposition so sweet and relaxing that all who knew him loved him. The piper, not so affectionate, had over the years, in the shadow of one identical but much more loved, grown surly and disgruntled, though he hid it well from his brother.

It so happened that one evening, not long before the nobles of the Faerie left our world, a princess among the Fair Folk heard the twin’s music and fell in love with the whistler. She came to them, and upon seeing her, both Piper and Whistler conceived love in their heart for her. She knew that her people’s time among the mortals was coming to an end, so gave to each of the brothers a gift—to the piper a set of pipes much more like uillean pipes than the windblown ones he had played, and to the whistler a long, low toned whistle of a design he had never seen. She taught them a song that, if played in unison at midnight on the winter’s solstice, would open a doorway between the Faerie world and ours. Through the doorway she would return and take with her to the land of the Fair Folk her true love, she told them before our world, and with her departure she gave the piper the kiss of eternal youth, which would allow him to live with her forever in the lands of the Fair Folk.

Now the piper, always jealous of his brother and deeply in love with the maiden as, conceived a plan in his heart to take his brothers place. On the night of the winter’s solstice he poisoned his brother’s drink with a slow acting poison, one which did not fully kick in until after the song was played and the doorway to the land of the Fair Folk was opened. Before the princess arrived the piper switched instruments with his comatose brother (the poison only put him to sleep since he was under the enchantment of the maiden’s kiss, he said). The piper took up his brother’s whistle and waited at the doorway. The maiden came to the Faerie side of the doorway and, seeing the image of her love waiting for her with whistle and open arms, welcomed the piper into her world and the doorway closed forever. The whistler awoke late the next evening, his brothers pipes in his lap and his love forever lost.

It wasn’t long before, in the land of the Fair Folk, that the maiden realized the piper’s treachery, and though she longed for her true love, the doorway between their worlds could not be open without the song played in duet with the pipes and the whistle, and instrument forever more lost in the lands of the Fair. The piper, it is said, perished in the land of the Fair, shunned by all.

With all of her power, the only contact that the princess could make with the whistler was in his dreams, and together, over years, they figured out a way to truly be together. The maiden would whisper into the dreams of a whistle maker the secret of making a low sounding whistle that could play a song in unison with the pipes that would again open the doorway between the worlds. There would only be one made, but the whistle would be special. It would be bought but not sold, rather given away freely in an act of kindness not unlike the kindness found in the whistler who had won the faerie princess’ heart, despite its worth. It would also, she told him, travel a foreign land to a land of lakesm arriving at the doorstep of an unsuspecting whistler.

Seamus, the man I met behind my house in the woods that magical night, seemed to believe that the whistle would come to me and that I would be the one to help him open the doorway back to his love. I thought him crazy, I admit, and had written the entire experience off as a dream or a dazed hallucination. But then I saw your post, and with a flash of wonder, I believed.

I think the whistle you plan to give away, bought but not sold, is the whistle that will forever unite Seamus Gully with his love. I know it sounds unbelievable--i barely believe it myself-- but what if....what if it's true? What if that is the whistle?
ctilbury

Re: Free Low-D (The Competition)

Post by ctilbury »

crookedtune wrote:I've been done a good turn by a generous person who is no stranger among us. Now I gotta work on my own karma!
Thats really nice! Good on ya!
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

I vote for this guy! He "gets it".
lordofthestrings wrote:Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies!!!
This is the best thread I have seen for a long time.... :D
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

This is a fun idea, and I applaud your generousity!

Why should it come to me? Because most of the tunes I play are Scottish, here in the wilds of Wyoming, where there is such a heritage of Scottishness, but such an appalling absence of Scottish music. Playing "Leaving Rhu Vaternish," "Lord Lovatt's Lament," "Scarce O'Tatties" on an Alba whistle...that would have such a nice symmetry to it, don't you think?

As for the good turn for the board, I have something in mind, but I don't like asking people to count my chickens before they're hatched.

Have fun storming the castle--

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Why should I have the alba? Well let me tell you...no, it would take to long, let me sum up. Buttercup is marrying Humperdink in little less than half an hour....now where did I put my Holocost cloak? :wink:
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

MAWWIDGE.
Twue wuv is wike having a wong whistle....... wike an Alba woe D....I weckon.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Oh, and did I mention...I am a Dapper Dan Man!

Fall down six times. Stand up seven.