I have a bad case of WhoA!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

riverman wrote:Straycat,
Thanks for that very depressing, hilarious, and totally true depiction of my whistling future!!
:D indeed, I especially get a kick out of the Ebay listing thing. I've seen at least a half dozen of those since I became interested in whistles. Funny thing is, most of them looked like they could've been brand new out of the box Clarkes... yet some poor sap probably actually paid $30+ dollars for what he thought was a piece of Irish history when he could've gotten one for himself for $10 bucks at a local music shop.
He's going to be extremely disappointed when he takes it to the antiques road show! :lol:
walrii

Post by walrii »

I somehow managed to avoid purchasing any whistles for almost a year. I've got the usual batch of cheapies, a Hoover whitecap/Feadog and an O'Brien nickel-copper. That plus the recorders have kept me busy. Then three things happened in the same week: 1) I finished a homemade PVC low-D that played but barely; I got to thinking if I had a "real" low D, I could figure out how to build one. (But if I have a "real" low D, why do I need to build one? If you have to ask, you just don't understand.) 2) Slowair puts, among others, a Dixon aluminum low-D for sale on C&F. 3) My wife, studying the calendar, innocently asks what I'd like for my birthday.

Ahh, it feels so good to be back!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Freddo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Freddo »

I'm in error, Ive not bought 5 whistles but 6. Ive forgot my first, the one I hid in the trunk of the car. The notorious, infamous low D, that requires 1000 cf of air to play , its silver plate some what tarnished, a sad sight for something that once held hope, the one I occassionaly try hoping for a miracle that it will actually play. The clanging constant reminder every time I hit a bump or take a curve.
Ive resolved to turn it into a sprinkler head for my lawn, I couldnt in good coincience sell it, the thought of some poor slob suffering from hyperventilation while trying to play the Salley Gardens-no.

Yes the slippery slope- good jig title. But I am having such a wonderful time. one more month and I hope to order a Sweet Heart Pro. Then on to ?

By the way what do you folks do with whistles that are not playable?

Time to wonder off in to the woods for a good practice.

Patience is not indifference
dDave

Post by dDave »

fred bechtoldt wrote: By the way what do you folks do with whistles that are not playable?
Tent stake.

Best,

Dave
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

fred bechtoldt wrote: By the way what do you folks do with whistles that are not playable?
I tweak them until they are either playable or completely ruined and beyond repair... at that point, I don't really know. I was trained- I mean raised to not be wasteful so I always feel guilty throwing one away.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Give them to your grandchildren. It's a good way to pay back your children! "I'm just trying to introduce them to the joys of music while they are young."
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Yeah, get 'em while they're young! I wish my whistle playing had started when I was younger. Not only that but I had no idea what I was doing for about the first year or two and didn't even get around to playing ITM until about three and a half into playing. I knew nobody else who played and I hadn't yet discovered C&F so I wasted a lot of time... to think how much better I could be now if I had those three years back is depressing :)
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

straycat82 wrote:Yeah, get 'em while they're young! I wish my whistle playing had started when I was younger. Not only that but I had no idea what I was doing for about the first year or two and didn't even get around to playing ITM until about three and a half into playing. I knew nobody else who played and I hadn't yet discovered C&F so I wasted a lot of time... to think how much better I could be now if I had those three years back is depressing :)
Cool sig.
Nick Metcalf

Proud of my success

Post by Nick Metcalf »

I am proud to say that I have not purchased a whistle now for over 8 months. That is a record for me, one which my wife appriciates. Just for the record though my musical career started with a clark whistle and has expanded to 79 whistles and various flutes and any other thing I can get that makes cool noises. I think in total I have spent a good $15,000 on musical stuff and it's all the whistle's fault!
Nick Metcalf

You can find Nick's music online at:
http://www.deluxband.com/store.html
CRC

Post by CRC »

Good job Mr.Metcalf and welcome to the Whistleholics Anonymous Group. :D