What is the Best Irish Beer?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

My favourite Irish beer? Hmmm.....the one that is almost empty in front of me!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

[quote="Jeff_H
I agree about the current crop of microbrews. I have a brewery in my town that does in fact brew a really nice tasting stout. It's more in the English or American style of stout though without all the nitrogen found in Guinness which is more a cream stout and pastuerized.

Jeff[/quote]

Jeff- Are you talking about Hylands? They make some pretty good brews. I like the Amber Ale there, also.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Phil Hardy

There isn't one!

Post by Phil Hardy »

I have spent more than 15 years in Ireland and can sadly say "There Isn't One".
All the pubs are controlled by the beer giants so NO CHIOCE unless you happen to be in Cork or Dublin in which case you may drink a draught of posh beer and extreme prices.
The rest is sh*t.( washing up liquid)
Phil.
Jeff_H

Post by Jeff_H »

TomB wrote:[quote="Jeff_H
I agree about the current crop of microbrews. I have a brewery in my town that does in fact brew a really nice tasting stout. It's more in the English or American style of stout though without all the nitrogen found in Guinness which is more a cream stout and pastuerized.

Jeff
Jeff- Are you talking about Hylands? They make some pretty good brews. I like the Amber Ale there, also.

Tom[/quote]

You betcha. Great guys there. Good beer and fresh as can be. I like the fact that you never know what they may have available on any given day. Most Saturdays I make a quick trip there and get my growlers filled up. The amber is excellent. They sometimes have a good ESB and the octoberfest they brew is phenominal when they have it.

Jeff
TomB

Post by TomB »

Jeff_H wrote:

Jeff

Tom
You betcha. Great guys there. Good beer and fresh as can be. I like the fact that you never know what they may have available on any given day. Most Saturdays I make a quick trip there and get my growlers filled up. The amber is excellent. They sometimes have a good ESB and the octoberfest they brew is phenominal when they have it.

Jeff[/quote]

I've had the Octoberfest, actuallly, tasted great. I get there now and then, particularly if I'm in town visiting the folks on a Saturday.

Tom
Jeff_H

Post by Jeff_H »

TomB wrote:
Jeff_H wrote:

Jeff

Tom

Jeff
I've had the Octoberfest, actuallly, tasted great. I get there now and then, particularly if I'm in town visiting the folks on a Saturday.

Tom[/quote]
And the bakery upstairs makes some great stuff too...
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:The human problems with alcohol are not only medical. Children are beaten and molested, spouses are murdered, and car crashes are more deadly all the time because of alcohol.
I think it's wrong to put the blame for a person's actions on an OBJECT. This is just like the whole theory that guns kill people. Yes, in a way that is correct, but in the end, it's PEOPLE that kill people. If stupid people have guns, then other people get killed. It's not the gun per se that does the killing, but the person behind it. The same holds true with alcohol. Alcohol, when drank in moderation, is not evil. The problems arise when you have people, for whatever reason, drink far too much, and then do stupid things. I would tend to think that there were OTHER problems involved before there was ever a problem with alcohol in the instances you brought up.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
TomB

Post by TomB »

[quote="Jeff_HAnd the bakery upstairs makes some great stuff too...[/quote]

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try.

Tom
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I agree with blackhawk's ranking of

1. Beamish
2. Murphy's
3. Guinness

I'm not as fond of lagers, so can't even rank Harp.

But I was lucky enough to acquire my taste for Beamish while working in Cork. Here in the US, it's harder to get any of them on draught, and when you do it's often the case that the bar doesn't know how to serve them (I suspect that many cases of "bad stout" are nothing more than good stout going through poorly maintained taps).

For a good, no-nonsense American Stout, Sierra Nevada's is actually very drinkable, as is their Porter. I'm also fond of Anchor Porter, though it's got a much higher level of hopping. But any of those three, served at proper cellar temperature, is a very respectable pint.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

1) Guinness
2) Smithwicks
3) Harp

Caj - the best American stout, hands down the best in my opinion, is Kansas City's Boulevard Dry Stout. On tap, I think it's better than Guinness. After 3-4 years only selling it on tap, they now export to the midwest in bottles. While bottles are not quite as good, all Boulevard beers are bottle conditioned instead of force carbonated so it's still very, very good, but don't expect a huge head. I don't drink Guinness anymore unless the bar doesn't carry Boulevard stout.

Eric
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cranberry wrote:.

The next time somebody asks me that, I am going to cry. It is Rachel Dratch from Saturday Night Live. She is so ugly (but one of the funniest people in the world). It makes me sad when people think it's me.
Terribly sorry Cran. I presumed it wasn't you because I can't recall that you've ever posted a picture of yourself. I don't watch SNL anymore so I didn't know who it was. I shall refrain from asking such a question again.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm