Northeast Whistle Gathering?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I am willing to organize something. I suggest Look Park. Depending on how many people show up we may want to rent a shelter, but otherwise just reserve picknick tables.

www.lookpark.org

I am going to be traveling and won't be able to turn to this before June. I suggest a date in late June/early July.

It's going to be a quite a cacophony with everyone swapping whistles and trying them out and people trying to find the 3 tunes we all know... so I do think we'd be better off outdoors than indoors.
/Bloomfield
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think I can make it to East Durham...that'll be fun. I used to have a show in LA at that time, but we are cutting it out because it's too much of a hassle.
~JessieD
slowair

Post by slowair »

Bloomfield wrote:I am willing to organize something. I suggest Look Park. Depending on how many people show up we may want to rent a shelter, but otherwise just reserve picknick tables.

www.lookpark.org

I am going to be traveling and won't be able to turn to this before June. I suggest a date in late June/early July.

It's going to be a quite a cacophony with everyone swapping whistles and trying them out and people trying to find the 3 tunes we all know... so I do think we'd be better off outdoors than indoors.
Go for it Bloomie!

I think you've got the right ideas. Late June/early July would give us all enough time to iron out schedules and come up with events/things to do. Plus enough time to put together a press release.

Once you firm up a date, let everyone know...if they can make it, great, if not then maybe next time.

After announcing the date, find out who will attend and then you can get an idea of how much a sheltered area would run and what each person would have to chip in. Maybe even have some kind of 50/50 or an auction to offset the cost. If we even get a shelter.

There is/was a group in this area of Native American flute enthusiasts who had/have functions. They would reserve a pavilion and have an open mic for those who wanted to get up and play a tune, then give it over to someone else.

There were picnic tables with people's entire collections. People trying out instruments. Folks swapping, buyng, trading, critiquing etc. It was fun.

And I suggest if this thing floats, some of the other locals could bring their non-whistle instruments for a big session to end the event. Either there or a local establishment. There are some pretty good places to eat drink and be merry in Northampton. Ain't cheap though.

Just some ideas.

Everyone please feel free to add your ideas.

Mike
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Last weekend in June is out for us. Char and I will be in Michigan for a wedding (daughter of Glenn Schultz!). Early July is fine.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Bloomfield wrote:I am willing to organize something. I suggest Look Park.
Look Park would be great! :)

-David
Cyfiawnder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I know I know!! Lets hold a MILLION Whistlers March in DC. We can all protest the thought of Bush being Re-elected. We have a big desk, where you sign your name card, get your number, your ear muffs, and place to stand. Then when we get everyone together we whip out our High D's and Play the second octave A in unison for hours. Until he never ever ever thinks about running for any office above frozen food section stocker again :) Yeah woo hoo. Three cheers for me..................
:cry: Are those crickets I hear??
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Cy,

I volunteer to man (woman) the earmuff table.

That makes 2 so far...only 999, 998 to go. We're coming for you George!:D

Peace,
Fran
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
meir

Post by meir »

how about meeting at the Piper's Gathering?
they do not mind, and would probably like it
our meeting could be friday night- nothing official scheduled then
www.pipersgathering.org
location is what most of you want
meeting already established
lots of whistle people already attend because of interest in pipes
lots of vendors attend, and a couple of whistle makers too
and last year there was already one whistle session

meir
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I know I'm going to be in East Durham for Irish Arts Week :) .I can't make it to anything else,though :( .
-Kelly
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Early July works great for me, I'm trying to get some time off work around then too. Pipers gathering sounds like a good opportunity for a second meeting, especially for our more northern folks. I think another festival I'm interested in may even be going on that weekend in Vermont.... :boggle:

Robin
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cyfiawnder wrote:I know I know!! Lets hold a MILLION Whistlers March in DC.
Yes. I'm with Cy. You Nor'easters are just too....northern.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

OK timing:

Let's say June is out (wouldn't want to miss Paul), so weekends in July:

3/4: July 4th weekend, probably not good
10/11: Irish Arts Week in E Durham
17/18: Irish Arts Week/Festival in E Durham
24/25: Northeast Whistle Gathering?!?

That's not really early July anymore, but seems to be the best date unless we go for

June 19/20

Let's here some views on what weekend suits. Thanks
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Bloomfield wrote:3/4: July 4th weekend, probably not good
Bloomy, you wouldnt want to have the gathering at the same time as the festival? I know a bunch of us from Montreal will be at the Catskills festival, is it the E Durham 17/18 july?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Azalin wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:3/4: July 4th weekend, probably not good
Bloomy, you wouldnt want to have the gathering at the same time as the festival? I know a bunch of us from Montreal will be at the Catskills festival, is it the E Durham 17/18 july?
Yes, that's the Catskills festival. My thinking is that people may want to attend in the Catskills and that both wouldn't work. I won't be able drive over to East Durham, but whatever works for people!
/Bloomfield
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Ahhh sorry, I thought you were suggesting those weeks, but by reading carefully I realize you were actually talking about the last week-end of the month. That's too bad you can't make it to East Durham anyway, I mean, it can't be further away from you than Montreal, can it?