What inspired you to play the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

There's a handful of reasons which I've started on previous discussions, but I'll limit it to two.

1. I was emotional scarred because I could play the saxaphone in fifth grade(truth be told . . . we couldn't afford one and they didn't have a rental program). :sniffle: I now play tin whistle, and I don't feel so bad about the saxaphone. Although NOW I regret never learning the flute . . . but what do you know in fifth grade?

2. I found a cheap souvenir tin whistle in a drawer that I had bought in Williamsburg, VA back in 1988. Picked it up, played a tune or two. The rest is history.

It took me a long time to find chiff and fipple and the message board. Dale inadvertantly scared me away when I read through his website and talk of the Crystal People. I thought he was into some weird new age religion.:boggle:
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

mamakash wrote:It took me a long time to find chiff and fipple and the message board. Dale inadvertantly scared me away when I read through his website and talk of the Crystal People. I thought he was into some weird new age religion.:boggle:
:lol:

Yeah, I had the same reaction to that part of the site when I first stumbled across it.

Why did I learn the tinwhistle?

I've always wanted to play music of some kind. I learned recorder in the third or fourth grade, then started saxophone a couple of years later. Played sax in junior high, but was only so-so (and we had a large sax section) - when our band leader was trying to find anyone willing (gullible?) enough to play oboe instead I volunteered. Bad decision. Traditionally, the devil is shown playing a fiddle - but if he were to play winds, he'd probably pick the oboe. Not hard to finger, but that @#%$ double reed requires much more in the way of embouchure than a sax does, then rewards you for your hard work by splitting (itself, and your lip!) in the middle of a concert. I ended up with enough of an aversion that I dropped out of band altogether.

Fast forward a few years - I was in college, and still playing recorder a little, but I wanted to try a new instrument - ended up with classical guitar. I actually got reasonably decent (could play pieces listed as "intermediate" level) but had two problems. a) I broke my left index finger as a child, and it's still weak today - makes playing bar chords difficult, and even playing classical pieces (melody, harmony) ends up hurting after 15-20 minutes. b) If you play a guitar, people expect you to *sing*! From the Welsh part of my ancestry I inherited a fine, LOUD voice; unfortunately, I didn't inherit the range and control to go with it. I may not have the control needed to shatter glasses at the bar, but I can sure rattle 'em. Pain (my own, and my listeners) persuaded me to drop the guitar. :sniffle:

Fast forward many years more - I'm over 40 now, and still playing a little recorder (maybe a couple of times a week), but not really thrilled with the available repertoire (seems like most sheet music is either baroque or pop); even though I enjoy listening to classical music, I spent far more time with folk and folk/rock (Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Martin Carthy, the Clancy Brothers . . .) - not exactly Irish traditional, but with some overlap. And I was noticing those nice, flute-like sounds in the background more and more. Then two more things happened: I discovered Chiff & Fipple, and got sent to my company's Irish facility for 3 weeks.

So I've been moderately obsessed with tinwhistles for 9 or 10 months now. I don't have too many (well, only 16 at this point - Eb, D, C, Bb, low D), and nothing higher end than a Dixon Low D, but I probably spend around an hour a day practicing - not great, but getting better. Don't have a huge repertoire yet (maybe 40 tunes I can play well from memory - around half from the Bill Ochs book, the rest from here and there) but I'm adding to it at a tune or so a week. I've got a LOT more Irish trad CDs (and non-trad things like Flook or Phil Hardy's Whistleworks). And I almost never play the recorder these days (I suspect with a couple of days to practice I'd be better than I've ever been, though - even with the different fingering, a lot *does* carry over).

Long-term goal? Improve my playing, increase my repertoire, and maybe find a local session to join. And, perhaps, pick up the Irish flute, too.
olehan

learning Whistle:

Post by olehan »

Although NOW I regret never learning the flute . . . but what do you know in fifth grade?

Right on.

After being tortured by a flutophone chorus in 5-6th grade, I went on to play percussion for the next 5 years, while my friends chose the sax and clarinet and trumpet.

A few years later-1976- someone loaned me a stack of Chieftains records. (God bless you, Elizabeth Sage). Enter Sean Potts and Paddy Malony, who are still, to me, paragons of expresive playing.

My local music store had a rack of generations- brass and nickle- and I learned my first airs trying to copy the sounds that Mr. Maloney made.

The best part of this story is that I got to thank him for getting me started, rank amateur that I am, when I ran into him and Derek Bell, wandering around the World's Fair site in my hometown of Knoxville, with a pint in their hands.
pipingturtle

Post by pipingturtle »

Davy Spillane.

Nuff said.
french

Post by french »

no time to keep an embouchure up.
can play without the neighbours complaining.
fits in the glove compartment.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

french wrote:no time to keep an embouchure up.
A few less syllables and you would have had a haiku, French! :lol:

OK, let's make it into one:

Embouchure no sweat
Play without complaints next door
Fits well in glove box
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
french

Post by french »

BrassBlower wrote:
french wrote:no time to keep an embouchure up.
A few less syllables and you would have had a haiku, French! :lol:

OK, let's make it into one:

Embouchure no sweat
Play without complaints next door
Fits well in glove box
thanks for the edit!
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Ooh, got another haiku . . .

My bird is screaming
Won't let me play one more note
Wish she would shut up
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
merlinthedog

Post by merlinthedog »

Wanted to learn Celtic music - thought the whistle would be easy - it is (too play the notes) but hard (to play the music!)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Great thread.

I heard an radio interview with Joanie Madden on NPR. It caught my attention. I've always liked the idea of inexpensive and portable instruments, but never really took to the harmonica. I'd dabbled with recorders 25 years ago. After I heard the Joanie interview I bought a tinwhistle in Bob Tedrow's shop. Clarke Original, unfinished. But, none of these things really hit me like a ton o' bricks. I put the Clarke in the sunvisor of my car and played around with it while waiting for my daughters' soccer practices to end. It just gradually caught up with me and then ruined my brain.
desert_whistler

Post by desert_whistler »

A few years back, my wife & I decided to travel to Ireland. My great-grandparents were from there, and I was interested to see my heritage. As a side-effect, I started listening to Irish music and became hooked. I started going out to the pubs here in Phoenix, AZ and checking out the local Irish bands (believe it or not, we have some really good ones -- pretty odd, since we live in the middle of the Sonoran desert, as far from Ireland as you can get!)

On our last trip to Ireland (last fall), my wife & I were on our way to a pub in county Kerry. We passed a music store and decided to stop in. My wife is an Oboe player, and immediately made a bee-line to the Tin Whistles. She bought a Generation D. I said "what the hell" and bought one too. I've never played anything you have to blow into in my life. But that was the beginning of my obsession! I've never looked back.

I still totally suck, but harbor dreams that I might become middlin' competent one day. Either way, I'm enjoying the journey.
"Let your life proceed by its own design"

-The Grateful Dead
Henkersbraut

Post by Henkersbraut »

I've always loved Irish/Scottish folk music, but used to have a 'crush' on the bodhran... Never got around to start playing it, though. Music has recently become very important in my life, and I decided I wanted to play an instrument, something that I've always regretted that I didn't learn as a kid. So it was either the hurdy-gurdy (that I currently 'have a crush on') or the pennywhistle. I tried asking around a little to find anyone in the country (Norway) that plays hurdy-gurdy but never did find one, so I settled for the whistle.

I'm very happy with my decision now, it's a small instrument that doesn't require a lot of looking after. If my kid plays (with) it, she virtually can't break it, and even if she does - it's not the end of the world (just remembered I actually dreamt that last night!), I can afford a new one (but a hurdy-gurdy costs about €1200).
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Some friends, my wife and I took a three-week trip to Ireland shortly after 9/11. We were amazed at the hospitality and sympathy shown us by many folks we encountered there. To make a long and memorable story short, it was our custom to end each day’s excursions with a pint or two (or three or four) in some local pub. Heard a lot of music, some recorded and some live and fell in love with the sound of the whistle. Having never played any musical instrument in my life but, feeling sure of my intellectual powers, (especially after several pints) I says to myself, “How hard can it be to play that little thing”? Brought home a Feadog high D, a Walton high D and a Chieftain low D along with several instruction booklets and ITM songbooks.

I’ve been completely and utterly obsessed ever since. I now have half-a-dozen additional whistles, still sound like someone beating a sack full of cats but can’t stop. A curse on all the Irish for unleashing this music on us and making me a prisoner to this infernal device.

:P
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
jen f

Post by jen f »

I have always liked Irish music, but recently I heard a concert by an Irish Arts School, and the director said that all their students start out on the tinwhistle because it only costs a few dollars. It was mostly high school students, but they had a couple of 5-year olds performing too just to show that even very young children can learn to play folk music. I thought, "Hey, if they can do it, I can do it."
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-A medley with whistle in it on the old David Bromberg album "Midnight On The Water"-