tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

A LEVEL DESIGNER!!!!! My dream job. I've been designing scenarios for games for so many games and for so long I can't remember them all.
I even once wrote an essay on the pros and cons of various level editors which I posted somewhere but can't find.

On another note, what is the name of your band? Do you have a web site?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

pthouron wrote:I am amazed and envious when I see there still are people who've had the same job for twenty years or more... Can't seem to be staying in one place for too long (sometimes my choice, sometimes not :D )...
Sometimes, you don't have a choice. I've been working in Silicon Valley since 1980, and the job picture is . . . variable. I tend to think of myself as a pretty stable guy, but in that time I've worked for 9 different companies (8 different jobs - one company got bought out). Never been fired, but been laid off three times, all by companies going under (the last time was this spring). Longest time on the job - 7 years. Shortest time - 5 months (startup company). Charted, it looks something like this -

2 years - .5 year - 1 year - 6 years - 7 years - 3 years - 3 years - 1 month (current)

I like where I am now - a lot. And I like the idea of staying here for a long time. But I'll be *amazed* (and pleased) if things remain stable enough I'm still working here in 10 years time.

(I'm a Software Engineer, for the curious, mostly specializing in device drivers and embedded systems. Currently working on high definition digital TV.)
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Seems like computer related stuff is popular around here, maybe cause it's a website...

Anyway I'm a hardware tech who does consultant work. I like smelling the roses & having the option of moving on before monotony sets in. I just started moonlighting as an apprentice for Skip Healy as well.

When it comes to work, I'm a happy guy. Not always the case though, I did work for a big corporate bank that made the movie "office space" look like an orientation video. After that I vowed never to work a job where I wasn't happy at least 90% of the time. Life is too short for that kind of BS.
:evil:
janice

Post by janice »

I've been a band director for the past 20 years, the first 8 as a middle school band director in Texas and the last 12 as a high school band director/music teacher in Ontario. I went back to school 3 years ago to get a Master's degree in Conducting, and I'm now doing a Phd in Music Ed (seems that once I went back to school, I just couldn't stop...)

I started playing whistle 20 years ago and purchased my first set of pipes in '91. I never in my wildest dreams figured that I'd ever use my 'hobby' in my professional life, but I'm gonna integrate Irish trad with my research interests, as y'all have seen from other posts. Does it get any better than that?
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

geek4music wrote:A LEVEL DESIGNER!!!!! My dream job. I've been designing scenarios for games for so many games and for so long I can't remember them all.
I even once wrote an essay on the pros and cons of various level editors which I posted somewhere but can't find.

On another note, what is the name of your band? Do you have a web site?
it's pretty fun, have you had a chance to play with siege editor?
hellbound skunk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hellbound skunk »

I just graduated from high school and will be starting college as a music major/psychology minor. I am currently working as a car washer for the police acadamy at the college. I wash the police training cars.
throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Curently public transit operator of regular and bendy buses.- Bet my accordion is bigger than yours! (but probably doesn't sound as nice) :D
-Long-time sweetheart to an industrious woman whose energy & brains
far exceed mine. I whistle better.

ex-welder
ex-pottery worker
ex student (B.A. 1983)
Last edited by brianormond on Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster

Post by Monster »

My day job is security for rather upscale residences in the greater metro Phoenix area. Sometimes I think it's interesting, sometimes it's just monotonous! Whistling helps fill the void when the monotony sets in. My latest project involves becoming much more tech-savvy, I want to build websites!

This is great reading, I skipped from the 3rd page to here, but I'm definitely going to backtrack to the missed pages to see what everyone is up to.

Seeya later,

Jeff
Last edited by Monster on Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
insert uber smart comment here
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Since it is up again, I should update my vocation... err... time mostly spent doing one thing... umm.. oh well here goes:

I am now in Electrical Engineering at the U of W (Waterloo, not Wisconsin)
I am about to start a co-op job in Sarnia for a Tower Scanning company, called Tower Scan.... Original eh? After those 4 months it's back to school for another term of studying.

I found my earlier post, and can you believe it is well over a year since this thread was started?

I was still in high school... man... that was a long time ago...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

OK, I just went thru the whole thread (!) and realized my only post was a reply to Lollycross. :boggle:

Part-time service writer in the repair shop of an auto dealership, part-time ITM performer, part-time servant to my cat, and full-time eejit.
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Hello all,
My day job is as an accounting manager for a computer company. I live in a suburb north of Boston, MA. I've been playing on a Gen D, but I'm looking to acquire some different whistles to see how they differ. I guess that puts me on the verge of a case of full blown WHOA!

Brewster
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

NicoMoreno wrote: I am about to start a co-op job in Sarnia for a Tower Scanning company, called Tower Scan.... .
If you pass by London on your way to Sarnia, stop in for some tunes.

Steve
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I was a Major in Army Intelligence and now I teach History at the local Community College. I like teaching history much better.
alex

Post by alex »

I just read thru this entire thread spread over the course of three days. Cool stuff.

Me, I'm entering my senior year of undergraduate work. I am getting a self-designed major - "Writing and Society" with a minor in Women's Studies (I love being in a room where I'm often the only guy - girls are so much cooler!) and a certificate in Medieval Studies. I'm hoping to move onto grad school where I want to do medieval studies or medieval-focused English literature, thanks to my Robin Hood obsession. :D

I hope to get a PhD and then teach at the college level. But otherwise, I'm owned by the family cat, am an officer in the student pagan organization, and a member of the campus GLBT group. I've been whistling for off and on nine or ten years, still suck, but am quite in love with my Dixon low D.

For pocket and textbook money, I'm a cashier and cashroom assistant at the university bookstore. Yay retail hell. At least my coworkers are an interesting lot. :boggle:
"Land of Song!" cried the warrior bard,
"Tho' all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful whistle shall praise thee!"
Paul

Post by Paul »

On Aug 23rd i'll be 37. I've been working in the same place for 23 years including my high-school car washing days. :o