Sindt Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Sindt Whistles

Post by MTGuru »

ecohawk wrote:For those of you who don't know, John uses standard off the shelf sizes for the brass tubing in his whistles. He just shaves a tiny peel off the last inch or so on end that goes into the head to make a tight pressure fit. You could probably do it with sandpaper. In fact IIRC there is a thread on here somewhere about someone who used a Gen tube which he sanded to fit his Sindt head.
That would be Bloomfield and Raindog:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8978
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3372

And Bloomie's linked article (below the pic) is still available on his site.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

MTGuru wrote:That would be Bloomfield and Raindog:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8978
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3372

If I wanted a MUTT I'd go to the dog pound!

Ah yes, take a masterpiece apart. What does that say to one's consideration for the master craftsman John Sindt? Often imitated, never duplicated. If you could, ya would.

To do this speaks volumes about one's own sense of craftsmanship and respect for the whistlemakers.

No thanks, I'll wait for the real thing.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

ytliek, if that is intended to be an insult I'll just let it lie out of ignorance.

FWIW, it was John himself who suggested that I do that and gave me the instruction on how to do it.

So if the master suggests it, grasshopper, who am I to argue? :)

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

ecohawk, no insult intended. I don't know circumstances with you and the master craftsman. However, either it is or it iSindt, just saying
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ah yes, take a masterpiece apart. What does that say to one's consideration for the master craftsman John Sindt? Often imitated, never duplicated. If you could, ya would.

To do this speaks volumes about one's own sense of craftsmanship and respect for the whistlemakers.

Isn't it a bit odd the forum has this obsession with whistles that have to be tweaked to be playable while in this case doing just that gets your knickers all in a twist?

The thing with Sindt whistles and particularly the D is that they are tuned very rigorously to an equal tempered scale. That doesn't suit everybody's ear and, again in the case of the D, the voicing of the F hole that follows from the scale has a strong effect on the fingering of the C natural. Again something that doesn't suit everybody (and let's face it, it's a pretty idiosyncratic set up. Anyone who is a bit of a whistleplayer can work around it handy enough but while some whistles manage a perfectly in tune and clear toned C natural when played cross fingered. The Sindt D is not one of them). So what to do? Yes, use a tube designed to give the result you're looking for. Why fault that?
My brain hurts

FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

ytliek wrote:
MTGuru wrote:That would be Bloomfield and Raindog:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8978
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3372

Umm, this is marginally ridiculous. And I can tell you you're taking a great deal more umbrage about this than John would. Plus, many people have been know to put Sindt heads on other whistle bodies- like John himself for starters...