Which tin whistle should i get?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Which tin whistle should i get?

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote:So the point of my advocating of learning to play a cheap whistle well is that you will develop skills that will enable you to determine what it is you are looking for in an instrument and subsequently which instrument will fit your preferences.
This is the whole deal. And Mr.Gumby also hit the nail on the head about preferences, instead of playing to some vague notion of what a "better" whistle is. If you can't play well, there's almost no way on Earth you're going to know what is superior or inferior in a whistle, much less why. And a "better" whistle isn't going to help you play better. No, sir.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Nanohedron wrote: And a "better" whistle isn't going to help you play better. No, sir.
I think we have to avoid absolutes here. I could make you a cheap and unplayable whistle (I have had some practice at that :lol: ). If you then got a better whistle you would instantly play better.

At some point near the bottom of the quality scale the whistle will be the limiting factor. Sometimes it is a mass-produced whistle that just needs a little tweaking, sometimes it could be a whistle that is unplayable because the tube has been made too short (in order to fit in the pre-designed packaging).

When I was starting I found it reassuring to buy and learn on a whistle good enough to know that I was the limiting factor. For a high D whistle that point might be somewhere around the Dixon Trad/Jerry Freeman price point. If some beginner was foolish enough to ask for my advice that is where I would point them.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Mockingbird wrote:
I also have several of those $5 red "Mel Bay by Clarke" whistles (same as a plain cheapie Clarke as far as I can tell) that I bought for my kids. Some are better than others. I still play those too.
Are they all sharp? Mine is about half way between D and Eb (with the head pulled out). Plays pretty well though.

I disagree with those who seem to think that a difficult to play whistle is equally suitable for a beginner to learn on as an easy to play whistle. It's true that an expert can play any whistle well, but you'll make better progress faster on one that's easy to play.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

DrPhill wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: And a "better" whistle isn't going to help you play better. No, sir.
I think we have to avoid absolutes here. I could make you a cheap and unplayable whistle (I have had some practice at that :lol: ). If you then got a better whistle you would instantly play better.

At some point near the bottom of the quality scale the whistle will be the limiting factor. Sometimes it is a mass-produced whistle that just needs a little tweaking, sometimes it could be a whistle that is unplayable because the tube has been made too short (in order to fit in the pre-designed packaging).
Fair point. :)

Of course I was off in a slightly different direction, though, and made a point of putting quotemarks on "better" to try to touch on the psychology that may sometimes be at play in these things. Hope that got through, anyway. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You'll have to specify that a bit. In my experience Generations, Feadógs, Oak etc are the easiest playing whistles you can find. And also the cheapest.

Many of the more expensive whistles are in fact harder to play than your standard mass produced ones. I have come across quite a few I thought extremely poorly balanced. Balancing the sound and the wind requirement between the octaves, and especially for the notes above g' is the biggest challenge for a whistlemaker in my opinion. Very few actually manage to strike a good balance from what I have seen. Having a strong lower end AND a sweet higher register and retain character with it. That's your holy grail if you're making whistles.

I realise it's all a matter of compromises and each skilled player will have their own preferences with regards to the choices made in the design of their whistle of choice. But there's the crux of it again, you'll have to have the skill to arrive at those preferences in an informed fashion. So, pick a not too expensive decently working whistle and play it, just play it and stick with it for a while. When you're ready, see what else you can drive.
My brain hurts

Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Nanohedron wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:So the point of my advocating of learning to play a cheap whistle well is that you will develop skills that will enable you to determine what it is you are looking for in an instrument and subsequently which instrument will fit your preferences.
This is the whole deal. And Mr.Gumby also hit the nail on the head about preferences, instead of playing to some vague notion of what a "better" whistle is. If you can't play well, there's almost no way on Earth you're going to know what is superior or inferior in a whistle, much less why. And a "better" whistle isn't going to help you play better. No, sir.
There's a story that gets told in photography circles that seems relevant here.

A photographer was having a meal at a friends' house. When the host's wife saw some of his pictures she said 'Wow. You must have a really good camera to take pictures like these' to which he replied 'And you must have a really good set of saucepans'.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Hotblack wrote:There's a story that gets told in photography circles that seems relevant here.

A photographer was having a meal at a friends' house. When the host's wife saw some of his pictures she said 'Wow. You must have a really good camera to take pictures like these' to which he replied 'And you must have a really good set of saucepans'.
:thumbsup:
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I think one thing that cannot be dismissed is wanting to play an instrument. Seem like human nature that if you like the looks and feel of something you might be more likely to play and practice it. Heck, I removed the sticker on my oak for mostly esthetic reasons. Really is $30-50 in the grand scheme of things a huge commitment? Sure it is double or more Clarke, but for the scratch, you'll quickly spend more on sheet music, music lessons, or pints at the session (depending on your learning style). Seems like unless there is a reason not to, there is nothing wrong with getting something like a Shaw* that seems to fit the bill.

* I have never played one.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Hotblack wrote:

I never heard that story, but it's great :thumbsup:

But both observations were probably true -- the photographer probably did have a good camera, and the wife probably did have a good set of cookware. Good quality tools are a good thing for an artist to have.
osage59
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by osage59 »

""Good quality tools are a good thing for an artist to have...""

Amen to that, I say.
I'm right on the verge of upgrading too.
The main thing (for me, anyway) is to have fun.
No one besides me cares if I play a whistle or a fig.

I wish you luck in your purchase.....there's a lot of cool & helpful vendors out there.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think anybody would agree about the tools. It's determining what the good tools are that's the point of contention.
My brain hurts

highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I don't think anybody would agree about the tools. It's determining what the good tools are that's the point of contention.

I doubt it's all that contentious. But just as in any other art there are some people on the edges.

I bet you can't find any decent cook who would say an All Clad pan is no good, and you'd be better off with generic thin stainless. You probably can't find any professional photographers who well tell you a Nikon camera is junk, even if his preference is Canon.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Yes but we're talking about whistles aren't we? Different playing field, finest players quite happy to play on an instrument that cost a fiver and all that.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed May 11, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

ducks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ducks »

well, having just bought a whistle that's definitely better than I am, I think it will make me a better player. It's really obvious when I'm going wrong, it's a pleasure to play and it's a real, HUGE incentive to improve. To actually practice rather than just tootle.
It is, however, loud. Now, I clearly need another really lovely, but quiet, whistle. For when the kids are asleep and I don;t want to annoy the neighbours. And stuff. No, really, it makes perfect sense. Honestly.

Get whichever whistle YOU want. Play a few. Listen to a few. Don't listen, necessarily, to anyone else...
sophie
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Yes but we're talking about whistles aren't we? Different playing field, finest players quite happy to play on an instrument that cost a fiver and all that.

If I had the opportunity, I would ask those fine players:

a) how many did you buy before you got the one you play now (having read stories of players in the old days buying Generations by the box)?

b) what do you recommend for your students?