The Generations Test!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The Generations Test!

Post by david_h »

Thanks pancelticpiper.
People who liked Jerry Freeman's post may like the drawing here:
http://www.archive.org/stream/onsensati ... 3/mode/1up
Could require a wet towel round the head to follow how it is derived though !

Helmholtz took great care to separate acoustics and physiology (which is where the ratios come from) from aesthetic (including cultural) aspects. What a Generation whistle should sound like is probably among the latter.
arnie
antispam: No

Post by arnie »

I tweaked mine, a Gen G, Bb and D. All of them have become good whistles. I'm getting a F, with which I'll do the same. Jerry, still another question for you: is there a way to get just a bit of chiff out and get a somewhat purer tone, like is done with the Sindt (which sounds like a very pure sounding Generation)?
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

thanks for the link to Helmholtz - my copy is lost somewhere - and it is nice to have an searchable electronic copy.
and to Jerry's long !! list

a little clarification on the C# my -14 cents and pancelticpiper's -11 cents both result from using a 15:8 ratio (a 5:4 third times a 3:2 fifth gives 15:8 seventh) the difference in cents arises from my starting from a -2 cent D (a just fifth below A440) and rounding errors.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks Jerry for all that!!

What's sort of odd about the old tuning of the Scottish pipes is that they used the sharp 27/20 fourth. Nowdays that's been universally replaced by the perfect fourth.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

pancelticpiper wrote:Thanks Jerry for all that!!

What's sort of odd about the old tuning of the Scottish pipes is that they used the sharp 27/20 fourth. Nowdays that's been universally replaced by the perfect fourth.
Aren't Scottish pipes deliberately "out of tune" with themselves, playing two tones at once, or am I being over-simplistic?
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Scottish pipes are tuned to Just Intonation, where every note of the scale is a precise beatless consonance against the harmonics produces by the drones. The drones produce the collection of notes called the "harmonic series" and each note of the bagpipe chanter's scale is tuned to these notes.

To hear what this sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BXXRIqQkPo

The only note that's "out of tune" to the drones is the highest note of the chanter (the thumb note). Pipers prize a reed which produces a multiphonic on this note which pipers call the "crow". Note that while overall the note appears to be flat against the drones, there's a core to the note that's in tune with the drones. Non-pipers usually don't like this effect.

Note that the Major Sixth above the tonic/drones is 16 cents flat of Equal Temperament but blends beautifully with the drones.
Likewise the Major Third is -14 cents etc etc.

Uilleann pipes, and indeed any sort of bagpipe or other instrument which has a drone, must be tuned Just or the notes of the chanter will be out of tune against the drones. (Uilleann pipes don't have that "crow" on their thumb note however.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MacNeil

Post by MacNeil »

giedosst wrote:Hi all!

Just got a red-headed Generations whistle set and was wondering how one goes about testing to see if the whistles are duds or the few rare good ones? As far as I can tell the D, Bb, C and F all play pretty decently, but what do I need to look for to see if these are keepers?
As far as I can tell, the general rule is "does the whistle have a Jerry Freeman "mouse" sticker on it? If so, it's a keeper. :D
Raven Falls Photography
www.ravenfallsphotography.com
arnie

Post by arnie »

You don't see it, you can only hear it. The whistles are manufactured and some are ok, others not. You can't see from the outside. You can tweak them though to make them sound more stable. Lots of threads about that here. Generaly a Gen Bb is known to be ok often, don't ask why.