Silver Copeland D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

dfernandez77 wrote:
jim stone wrote:As to the top of the copeland D, one strategy is to staccato (sp?) the top notes. This is the sort of beastie you get if you are prepared to adapt to it--learn how to play it on its terms, it isn't going
to adapt to you.
Do you mean pop 'em out with a tongue articulation?
Right. Short bursts of sound, not long enough to be painful
to the ear. Cathal McConnell teaches this in his instruction
book/tape.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

dfernandez77 wrote:And Reyburns
I disagree.
~JessieD
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

jim stone wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:
jim stone wrote:As to the top of the copeland D, one strategy is to staccato (sp?) the top notes. This is the sort of beastie you get if you are prepared to adapt to it--learn how to play it on its terms, it isn't going
to adapt to you.
Do you mean pop 'em out with a tongue articulation?
Right. Short bursts of sound, not long enough to be painful
to the ear. Cathal McConnell teaches this in his instruction
book/tape.
That's one of the things I like best about playing my Copeland. It's very energetic. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

JessieK wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:And Reyburns
I disagree.
You know - thinking about it - you've got a point there.

My Reyburns are loud for sure, and solid. But the tone does have complexity - not complexity like a Shaw or O'Brien - but I wouldn't say it's on the high end of pure.

Of those you recommend, I've played the Sweetheart Pros and the Thin Weasels. Both very nice and meet the criteria you present, "a loud whistle with a solid, pure tone."

Copeland and Rayburn are both less than pure - Reyburns being complex and Copelands being breathy. But I prefer a less pure tone.

Cheers,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Here's a pretty accurate recording of a brass D Copeland (if you haven't had a chance to hear one in person):

http://www.greylarsen.com/extras/toolbo ... dbrass.mp3

and, Susatos actually fit the description of what you're looking for pretty well, and are cheap enough to try out:

http://www.greylarsen.com/extras/toolbo ... _s_hid.mp3

-Brett
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

You guys were on the topic of silver Sindts earlier. I would love to see one of those, could someone please post a picture?
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

silver sindt

Post by sponge »

HOPEFULLY MY ONE WILL ARRIVE NEXT WEEK, WHEN IT DOES I'LL GET SOME PICS UP

SPONGE
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have one but no ability to take or post pictures, I'm afraid.

These are very simple, a silver tube and a black delrin head.
They look a good deal like Gary Humphrey's whistles,
head-wise, but the tube is silver. Actually very lovely
in their simplicity.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Mikepaul wrote:but it's not possible that the material is immaterial since it is the instrument itself. If that were true, you should be able to get a nice tone out of cardboard.
Cardboard really isn't dense enough to work, I don't think.

But in all honesty, before I decided to spend money on lathes and stuff (big expenditures), and because it was late at night and home depot was closed, I *did* make a whistle out of construction paper and brass that didn't play great but made enough noise to prove up the concept of my build theory to me. It lived about 7 minutes before it wasn't playable due to moisture and stuff, but that was enough to leave me hopeful.

I think as thin-walled as a whistle is, any sufficiently dense material will be similar to any other sufficiently dense material. I've played brass and nickel-plated feadogs, brass and nickel copelands, Busmans of various materials (wood and delrin), brass nickel and composite burkes, and several woods of thin weasels. I'm pretty sure that the window and labium voicing had 99.999% to do with any changes in sound. When I lived in Houston, my brass copeland sounded identical to the nickel copleand that would also get played by another guy in session.

I've made whistles out of zebrawood, cherry, birdseye maple, purpleheart, pvc, and bubinga (in addition to that construction paper test whistle), and I think my voicing of the whistle is primarily what gives it the sound it has.

Really, get whatever material turns you on, and you can choose to believe the material makes a big difference, but I don't.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, this is an old discussion, as we all know.
I observe only, FWIW, that the makers of
copeland whistles disagree with you,
as the website makes plain. They do feel
that the materials have characteristic sounds
that the buyer might wish to consider.

However Michael has also said to me that he thinks
differences in voicing between whistles makes as
much difference, or more, than metals.

Still they say that brass is warmer and softer.

Nickel is brighter and louder.

And Jim R says that silver has its own sound.

My experience is consistent with this, FWIW.

But, you know, we've been here before...
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Doc Jones has one up for sale...

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
eskin

Post by eskin »

I just horsetraded for the silver Copeland offered at the Irish flute store, it arrived today. From just a few minutes playing it in the car on the way to work from the post office, its clear its a completely different beast than my older brass Copeland, which is my primary session instrument.

My brass has a clear flutelike tone, nearly devoid of chiff, the silver sounds very breathy and more complex to me. The pressure requirements are very different. Of course this is in the acoustic environment of my car, will see how it sounds at home and when recorded.

I'll post some comparisons this weekend.

Cheers,

Michael
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

That Copeland's whistles can sound different is not in question. Could he make the same whistle at the same time, using say brass for the first and silver for the second, and have them sound close? I think the answer is 'yes'.

Do whistles sound different from makers, especially when they are made several years apart with a new 'design' and even using the same material? 'Yes' to that, too.
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Silver Copeland

Post by Gaaslaj »

I have a silver D Copeland too. I had a nickel model and sold it. A friend of mine has one that isn't as good, so voicing is important. I usually play my Burke at sessions, it seems to carry in the high range better. Sometimes I play the Copeland if someone else is playing whistle too. If the two whistles are not exactly in tune together, it sounds better with the Copland, it has a broader and fuller sound spectrum I think, and doesn't clash as much. I have kind of a unique whistle with a white delrin plug. Only two were made like that, the rest are black. I may not play it much, but it's such a beauty that I don't want to sell it! J.
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Sindt

Post by Gaaslaj »

I sold my Sindt high D brass and got a Burke instead. I found that the Sindt was just too piercing, like a knife! The Burk sounds mellower to me. There's someone I know who plays a Sindt and uses a whole lot of cuts, torture! All my opinion of course, J.