Maybe Not So Controversial Musician Stops Making Music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Hi Tal,

I was sad to hear you've stopped playing for now, but I am glad your medical problems are improving.

I was also glad you enjoyed your visit to Arkansas! I live in the Ozarks, and even though Conway itself is sort of flat, you can't drive 5 minutes out of town any direction without being in the middle of some really pretty country. Right now the leaves are changing and the colors are spectacular. There are old rolling green hills, the remains of ancient mountains that vast amounts of time has smoothed out and greened over.

Arkansas is one of the best-kept secrets in the country: much of it is still beautiful, clean, and unspoiled. Somtimes it's easy to take that for granted, when you live in the middle of it and see it every day. Then you get reminded by someone new to it just what a nice place it really is, and you start noticing it all over again.

Best wishes to you, and thanks again for making me remember how lovely these old hills really are.

--James

P.S. Here's some pictures from a vacation we took a few years ago, starting at Hot Springs, and just sort of meandering around up Route 7:

Talbert St. Claire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Hi Tom,

It's actually several things.

1- I have developed some bone spurs in my neck & back area that are shooting intense pain to my hands. I literally have to drop the whistle after a minute of playing. It's really touch at the moment.

2- I also have something called, "Candida"!! A number of people are getting this strange illness.

3- Along with "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)". The fatigue is starting to subside but the pain is at times unbearable.

Hi James!

The pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing them :) A lovely place!

P.S. If you all have anything that perhaps would help my condition please feel free to drop a message. I would be really greatful!

The strange thing is that even though I have these major issues I am still quite happy at times. I need to stay positive.

Thanks

Tal
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

talbert st.claire wrote:Hi Tom,

1- I have developed some bone spurs in my neck & back area that are shooting intense pain to my hands. I literally have to drop the whistle after a minute of playing. It's really touch at the moment.

2- I also have something called, "Candida"!! A number of people are getting this strange illness.

3- Along with "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)". The fatigue is starting to subside but the pain is at times unbearable.
Hi Tal. Sorry to hear about your illness. Have you tried accupuncture? If you can find a good Chinese Accupuncturist I believe that they coud do a lot for you. My wife has had some chronic health problems and had great success with accupuncture - it might be worth a shot.

All the best.

Gerry
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hi Tal,
It's obviously more than a little tendinitis. I've known people who've come through chronic fatigue and were fine afterwards, so there's hope. And I know what you mean about happiness. The human spirit is odd at times. In circumstances where one would expect happiness there's none, and in tough circumstances there's often happiness.

(BTW Omar, it's "Genitive" with a "e" on the end.)
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Whitmores75087 wrote:Hi Tal,
It's obviously more than a little tendinitis. I've known people who've come through chronic fatigue and were fine afterwards, so there's hope. And I know what you mean about happiness. The human spirit is odd at times. In circumstances where one would expect happiness there's none, and in tough circumstances there's often happiness.

(BTW Omar, it's "Genitive" with a "e" on the end.)
True, thanks whitemare.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

One more thing: www.dictionary.com defines "Tendonitis" as "Variant of tendinitis."
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

talbert st.claire wrote:
P.S. If you all have anything that perhaps would help my condition please feel free to drop a message. I would be really greatful!

The strange thing is that even though I have these major issues I am still quite happy at times. I need to stay positive.

Thanks

Tal
Hi Tal,

Mi mother had symptoms pretty much like yours a couple of years ago, she is better now... I myself have been ill for quite a long time several years ago, but I'm great now. It's my experience that many times the illness is just our body talking to ourselves. I'll do my best to explain myself but I find it quite difficult because english is not my primary language.
I found that the illness disappears (just like that) when you stop seeing it like something bad; when you start accepting it like... let's say, a "characteristic" (sorry, can't think of a better word). Everything we have, everything we are, is a gift. It's not a right, it's a gift. By the time I started looking everything this way, all my illness just disappeared. I had back problems, but right now I feel great (sleeping on the floor over a thin futon did the trick for me). I had anemia and low pressure problems, now I'm just fine (just started doing some exercise). I had kidney problems, one of my kidneys works quite bad... still have that problem, but it did got a lot better, I don't take any more medications for it...the exercise helped I guess :)
Of course it didn't happen in one day, it took some time, but the "decision" of not seeing the problems like problems took less than a second. It's not actually a decision, it's something like a "positive let go". I was so depressed... and one day I just thought "Ok, that's it, I won't fight anymore, I'll just accept whatever happens to me, because it must be a reason for it", just after feeling that, I felt a big knot being untied inside me, and slowly but steadily everything got a lot better, in all aspects.
So I hope you'll start seeing your problems, your illness, like a chance to reborn, like a chance to stop and start again. For the Spring and Summer to exist, there must be a Fall and a Winter before. There's nothing wrong with it, it is beautiful in a different way. It's something completely natural, so... relax, enjoy this time you're spendening in a different way than before. It's like the night, you have to sleep to be able to rise again tomorrow, we're just talking about a different time range. And as a consecuense, when you start playing the whistle again, your new tunes will become even deeper :)

Best wishes,
Cristian Feldman
amar

Post by amar »

Whitmores75087 wrote:One more thing: www.dictionary.com defines "Tendonitis" as "Variant of tendinitis."
wonderful
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Talbert, I am a great believer in exercise and diet. I had a heart attack 2 1/2 years ago. I was 80 pounds overweight and did no physical exercise to speak of. My ejection fraction following the heart attack was 18%. Following the bypass surgery I began to do a lot of walking. I started lifting weights. I began to eat a very low fat and very low sodium diet. I lost 50 pounds and went from being able to bench press about 20 pounds to being able to bench press 300 pounds. My ejection fraction now measures between 45% and 50 % which is just about normal. I know this is not your problem but I believe many illnesses can be controlled by exercise, diet and following your doctors advice. I hope you can find what works for you. As you know I am not much of a new age type guy but I do like your playing very much. I hope you can return to playing soon.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Ron,
Good advice.
Tom.
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Gerry, Whitmores, Amar, Feadin & Ron,

The information that you have provided is very helpful and I thank you for it! All your points are well taken.

My doctor's have advised me on certain things. But, what's interesting is that the more that you listen to your own body this is where the real progress comes from. Doctors can at times be very unreliable in terms of information. Not to mention expensive.

P.S. I am definitely watching the diet & exercise thing. This is a major part of everything.

regards

Talbert
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

peeplj wrote:Lots of nice folks come across as very abrasive or even just rude in email or on forums.

There are many fine folks who are wonderful people, but shouldn't be let near a computer keyboard without a keeper and a large glass of whiskey.

Unfortunately, I am one of those. 8)

--James
Keep the keeper and give me a double...

Sorry about your grandfather Keith; a fine tune to remember him by.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Hi James!

Thanks

Tal
2. Candida is worsened if you eat a lot of dairy products. If I remember correctly its some kind of bacteria in your intestines and can be quite uncomfortable at times.

3. Is it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or is it Adrenal Faitgue? My dad has the latter and I have a piper friend who has the former. Awful stuff, my prayers go out to you.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Sorry to post off topic but I haven't been here in quite sometime so was surprised to see Amars new avatar pic. Amar, are you really Dudley Moore ? :D
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
amar

Post by amar »

michael_coleman wrote:

Hi James!

Thanks

Tal
2. Candida is worsened if you eat a lot of dairy products. If I remember correctly its some kind of bacteria in your intestines and can be quite uncomfortable at times.

3. Is it Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or is it Adrenal Faitgue? My dad has the latter and I have a piper friend who has the former. Awful stuff, my prayers go out to you.
Michael, Candida is actually a fungus, there is a drug called diflucan, it should really take care of it. I'm sure Tal's doctor has thought about that too.