manners question re: loud music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Re: manners question re: loud music

Post by slowair »

Rando7 wrote:
Take the high road, be a nice person and hold things down during the services. There's nothing wrong with being considerate even if you don't feel it's reciprocated.
Amen. That's what I would do.
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

Rando7 wrote:Take the high road, be a nice person and hold things down during the services. There's nothing wrong with being considerate even if you don't feel it's reciprocated.
That's a very sensible course of action, not because it is particularly noble or ethical, but because it conveniently avoids confrontation.
markv

Post by markv »

Ridseard wrote:
Rando7 wrote:Take the high road, be a nice person and hold things down during the services. There's nothing wrong with being considerate even if you don't feel it's reciprocated.
That's a very sensible course of action, not because it is particularly noble or ethical, but because it conveniently avoids confrontation.
Psalms 37:11

"But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. "

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Monster wrote:Motorized upaya. You are driving through a parking lot and are obeying the conventions of the particular lot, following the arrows etc, when all of a sudden someone comes cutting across the aisle, speeding, weaving around parked vehicles etc. and almost runs into you. You deftly avoid the errant vehicle and go about your business; hey instant upaya! No fingers are waved, no shouting at the driver of said errant vehicle, you just go about your business and nobody notices.

My question, is this upaya, or is it something else?
Monster, upaya as I understand it has more to do with empowering insight in others via skillful means. Some might argue that out-and-out manipulation could fall within the definition. :lol:

I think that what you have described above is, by one definition, the Tao at work. In any case it is the dynamics of peace and a peaceful center. Should insight happen on the part of another driver because of one's driving, I would call it an unintended and unlooked-for event. If you've caught any of my more pugnacious posts, you'll see that I know little about this sort of thing. :lol:

Love your tuba.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

a mexican indian once told me "i respect the church, but it's not my problem" 8)
(he was a medicine man)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

"it looks like I"m going to Michigan"

You're not, like, going to the Univ of Michigan, are you? Cause that would change my answer.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Michigan? Where in Michigan?

Whatsa matter FJohn? Do you not like UofM. I've always liked UM but I may have to change if my daughter goes to MSU.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ somebody, sorry, I forgot
"it looks like I"m going to Michigan"

You're not, like, going to the Univ of Michigan, are you? Cause that would change my answer.
No, I'm too poor for that, but I think I may have been there before. I'm going to try to stay with my aunt after she comes in for Thanksgiving. She lives like, near Detroit I think. I'm really bad at places and distances, but I know it's close to Windsor, cause I've been there before too when I was at her house and it didn't take long to get there.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

**decided to email my response to Cranberry instead of posting it**
Susan
Monster

Post by Monster »

Martin Milner wrote:You could start your own church...
Right! You could name it " Tin-Whistler's Tautology" or maybe "Pure Drop Parish". You could have famous guest speakers come in and give long winded talks on ornamentation and their effects on the Chakras. (if anyone starts dozing off you can have a deacon lightly rap them on the back of their head with a Howard low D) I think Martin's idea is brilliant, look at it this way Cranberry, you can go to church and play the tinwhistle at the same time! Another positive aspect is that it's tax free.

This is such a good idea, I might start something like this out in Phoenix,maybe we'll call it the "metaphysical musicians movement" or something, but instead of whistles, we'll have drum corps style bugles and we'll start up around 5:00 A.M. Sunday morning after some hell-bent for leather all night partying carried over from Saturday night. We will welcome any deep-bass driven drive- by rappers and incorporate them into the service, a sort of improv if you will. (although some of them may be trying to sleep by then) Beleive me, at my church, we aren't gonna complain about somebody playin their whistle on the front porch. Perhaps we'll see if we can get Boeing Aircraft to come out and test a few 757 engines, wouldn't it be cool to tune them up in Major fifths and play "Also Sprach Zarathustra" along with them? Anybody's grandmother is welcome to attend!

Any way I think I might be a little off topic. I am not a deep philosopher here Cranberry, but I do think you get back the same as you put out, so the hard part is deciding what you want to project, and then you must stick with it for a while, until you get some effect. Kind of like an echo, YO-DA-LAY-EEE- HOOOO! (a few seconds of pause, then) yo-da-lay-eee-hoooo!
insert uber smart comment here
glauber

Post by glauber »

Cranberry wrote:It does bother me a little bit that nobody from church besides her has ever said anything to me, and if they wanted to, all they have to do is walk over here and knock.
It seems that your attempts to get their attention are not working very well. You probably should just introduce yourself ("Hello, I'm Cranberry and I live behind your church."). :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
scottadm

Post by scottadm »

If your music was so loud that it can be heard INSIDE the church, then I could see it as being an issue, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. A parking lot is about as accousticaly dead of a space as you can get. Your music would have to be pretty loud to actually be disruptive, so unless you are amping a Susato in the third octave, I doubt it really carries very well. Someone would have to be pretty retentive to complain about it. Besides, should you have the irresistable urge to blast Metallica on the hifi at full volume on a Sunday morning, you could always shut the windows.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Now you've done it, Cranberry.

For days, ever since you commented about it, I haven't been able to get "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" to stop going through my head.

Grrrr. Don't make me come down there.