Recorder versus whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

corinthia wrote:The thing about recorders is, they can sound quite nice... But they just don't have that QUALITY that whistles have, that... lovely mournful sound when playing slow airs.
Different, yes, but a recorder can sound every bit as mournful as a whistle. The adagio movement of Telemann's concerto for recorder and bassoon is one of the best tearjerkers I've ever heard, and written specifically to take advantage of the sound of the recorder. (Many of Telemann's pieces were generic -- like the "Quartet for two violins or two oboes and two bassoons or two cellos, the second of which may be replaced by basso continuo or eliminated entirely." I think I have that one with oboe, flute, cello, bassoon, and continuo, which sounds great.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mignal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mignal »

. . . or Bachs Sarabande from the partita in A minor played on alto recorder. Perhaps one should not see whistle/recorder as some form of competition, much better to like them both for their particular strengths.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Playing recorder give you hairy finger pads.
Don't ask me how I know.