Best High-End Whistles these days?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JTU
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Re: Best High-End Whistles these days?

Post by JTU »

Peter Duggan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:57 am
JTU wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:34 am By the way why don’t the quotes I use come out in the message with a yellow cream background like everyone else’s?.
Because you're missing a bracket here:

Code: Select all

[quote= Mr Gumby

Thanks Peter
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

Peter Duggan wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:57 am
Because you're missing a bracket here:

[quote= Mr Gumby
Which should be:

[quote=Mr.Gumby]
Although the spaces don't affect the code and the period's just restoring how he styles his username.

If you leave the full thing:

[quote=Mr.Gumby post_id=1251867 time=1644050845 user_id=14893]
You get a clickable link to the post you're quoting, although it's just the username and post_id you really need for that.

Thanks Peter
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

JTU wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:34 am Mediocre players like yours truely , in the knowledge that we don’t sound that good, are always looking for another whistle because we “secretly ” think there might be a whistle out there that makes us sound better.
Some whistles are definitely easier to play and will make a less good player sound better than they did without it. Which wont all of a sudden make them a player of legendary caliber. But for playing basic things in tune, no horrible squeaks, etc, some whistles help. Like in my case, I got my Burke A pretty early on in my whistle life. and it was extremely noticeable, that everything I played just sounded better. It was much easier to play in tune. And now all my whistles have this tuning style. The question is how good does a player need to be to stop benefiting from an easier to play instrument. My playing is constantly improving but I see no reason to go to something that's harder to play in tune.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I actually quite like a whistle that takes no effort at all to blow, that is agile, nimble and highly responsive. That, to me, sums up a whistle that is 'easy to play'.

Ofcourse that is also the sort of whistle that will immediately let you know your breathcontrol is not up to scratch or your fingering isn't clean. :poke:
My brain hurts

Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

what's neat in the whistle world is how peoples top priorities in a whistle vary. To me my #1 is ease of playing in tune. I didnt grow up playing Gen and Feadogs, so to me makers who try to sharpen the second octave to give a more conical effect are significantly easier to play in tune. But I guess a large part of it is just muscle memory. If I played the gen style for years they would probably be the ones that feel right. But a lot of good makers seem to do this so I wonder if its technically easier to play, even if its not actually needed.

My #2 is a strong low end. I hate when whistles have a weak low end that's super quiet, creating a larger volume gap between the low and high ends. So that kills any hopes of me liking easy blowing whistles. I will agree though that softer blowing are easier to play, and definitely seem to be more popular, likely for that reason.
Dreday
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

Post by Dreday »

I would like to recommend Alex DeWilde from https://www.hhfi.biz
He made a collection of stainless steel whistles with custom cases and also a couple of three piece whistles. You can check out his whistles he made for me on YouTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UCaPMLOoh0lKxF4XZyFGy6PQ

His prices are super reasonable and the quality is outstanding! He is also such a nice person and is a true pleasure ordering custom whistles from him. He keeps you updated on the progress. His turn around time is quick too.

When I mean quality I really mean quality of every aspect of the instrument. Intonation, tone, playability, strength and looks.
Damian Thompson
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Post by Damian Thompson »

I would just like to say that I have been making wooden whistles (alongside flutes) for about the last year or so.
I'm confident based on responses so far here in Co. Sligo (& further afield) that they are regarded as top quality.
Here's a link to my website- https://www.thompsonflutes.com/whistles