$5400 Raffle - What a great community! :)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

glauber wrote: You sold it to me :) and it's my favourite session whistle. Actually i put a bid on it on eBay just to help raise the price, not hoping it would end up within my price range, and i ended up getting a good deal! :lol: I'm glad you replaced it now.
Yup, it's a good brand of whistle...complex tone and strong. My only complaint was that sometimes one of the notes made one of my fillings hurt! How weird is that? It must have resonated at just the right frequency..none of my other whistles (loud or soft) have ever done that. If it hadn't had that bit of strangeness, I probably would have sold something else first when times were tight.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I don't play it much at home, but it allows me to play fast and aggressivelly in a session environment, without having to worry about notes squealing, etc. Very reliable and fast, and with that extra "pop" in the attack that helps you hear it even when buried under a sea of accordions.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I'm hoping the Silkstone Alloy C is as good as the Ds you guys are talking about. :)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

ACK! The three chiffers I was with on Friday ALL won something....ack ack ack!

{sniff} but not me :cry:

Fran....congrats! You're gonna LOVE it!
Bloo. . .I just want you to know in ALL seriousness, I had already said
that if I won and got the whistle you wanted, I was gonna donate it to your worthy cause. Isn't it nice to know I'm not going to have to live up to that promise?
Jon...does this mean I get to try another new whistle next time I come north??

Congrats to all of you! Specially Jerry and Arleen! (and Jessie and her family for surviving this!)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyghress, sorry you didn't win. Like you've never won anything before. *cough cough :)

Speaking of that ErikT and Patrick Bingham: You wanna trade a Mad4Trad tutorial for the Low Whistle Book & CD? :)
/Bloomfield
anticDevices

Post by anticDevices »

Bloomfield -

Sorry, no trade. I have no low whistle ambitions in the immediate future. Practicing last night I came to the realization that I could use all the help I could get. Not only is my playing going no where, but I don't know how to get there. The Mad4Trad just might turn out to be quite the blessing.

But the next time you're going to be in the Big Easy be sure to let me know. I'll treat you to a drink or two at O'Flaherty's - or the pub of your choice.

- Patrick
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
carrie

Re: $5400 Raffle - Prizes and their winners announced here!

Post by carrie »

JessieK wrote: WINNERS AND THEIR PRIZES:

51 - Carol Skinner

~Nadine Laughlin's CD, Beautiful Mystery
Thanks Chris and Nadine for donating this beautiful music. I won!

Carol
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

My Goodness! The Nadine Laughlin CD! I am so pleased!!! :party:

Thank you!!!

And I haven't seen such a beautiful baby since my own were little!!!!!!!

Mary
DebbieM

Post by DebbieM »

Jessie -- You are simply amazing!! :) Way too organized for a new mom --and you even took time out for a "vacation" in the hospital. :o You've done a fantastic job with all of this and made it possible for us all to be a big help to Jerry and Arlene. Thanks for making it easy for us to help out.

Debbie

P.S. Beautiful baby! You're going to have so much fun with her. :)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

A new whistle for me - and one I'd never even thought of! It'll be fun giving it a try.

Susan
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

This is great! Some people I really like won my mom's CD.
To those of you who won the CD, I just got home from Costa Rica last night and will be sending the CDs out over the next couple of days. You should all have them by next week. I hope you enjoy them :)
Best,
Chris
Azathoth

The Amazingly Serendipitious Raffle

Post by Azathoth »

Hi Folks,

I can only repeat the speechlessness of the ppl here who won -- I did too, and, ALSO like a lot of people here, it seems to be weird, how:

-- I didn't get like the first or second choice, BUT
-- I got exactly what SUITs me in the current stage of my ITM-ness

I have been wanting to get going on Low Whistle for a few weeks now, and what do I get -- a tunable Dixon Low D. Perfect for a beginner on the Low Whistle like me!! Unbelievable -- and it will also go nicely with my Dixon polymer flute :D

So: I think NOT only does one have to take all the hats off one possesses to Jessie for showing organisation, patience and ingenuity beyond the call of duty, but also a surprisingly APT ticket-drawing which seems to have landed quite a few instruments exactly where they were needed!!

Simply: groovy :)
Berti66

I agree

Post by Berti66 »

I fully agree with azathoth...........isn't this a surprising coincidence.......seemed to have worked out for many......got my third choice a tallgrass Eb flute and was planning to take up flute......

berti
Darwin

Re: I agree

Post by Darwin »

Berti66 wrote:I fully agree with azathoth...........isn't this a surprising coincidence.......seemed to have worked out for many......got my third choice a tallgrass Eb flute and was planning to take up flute......
I've been thinking about a G whistle and also about flute, and I got a G flute. Now I'll never need to buy another whistle or flute. (Yeah, right. :P )
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

I've been playing my Hoover high D pretty much exclusively since I got it back in January. It's the only whistle quiet enough for me to play in my apartment and I absolutely LOVE the sound of it. I've been wanting to expand my Hoover collection beyond just one so, a few days ago, I ordered a new low F from Mack.

Today, I got an email from Jessie saying that I had won the Hoover low G that Mack donated to the raffle. I'm pretty happy.

It's funny how life works sometimes.