Posted my first tune.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Sorry about the delay. Technicalities, you see. First, I didn't get to leave on time. Five minutes before I was supposed to leave work, they asked me to give a demerol shot to someone. That went fine, but the paperwork really held me up (namely, because I didn't know how to do it, and the person showing me barely knew.) You're thinking I gave myself the leftover demerol. Shame on you. Then, I got an order from home to stop by for burritos for everyone. Then, by the time I ate mine, I had to lie down. (Eyes bigger than my stomach, you know.) Lying down at this stage is not recommended, for future reference. To make a long story less long, I finally booted my son off the computer and got to work. Well worth the wait, I'm sure you'll agree. I can't wait to hear the added whistle when Laura does that.

So, go listen, you guys!
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2003-02-17 23:12 ]</font>
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Tony,

The work you've done on Clips 'n Snips is just wonderful.

I can't afford to buy CDs at this point, and it will probably be some time before I can. It's not only a great pleasure and resource to be able to listen to the playing of many of my new-found friends; thanks to you, the availability of so many recorded clips is really helping me learn to play and to understand different whistles.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well, it was certainly worth the wait.

Laura, that was simply wonderful. Please post more, if you can.

Best wishes,
Jerry
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks, Jerry. It's nice to get your feedback. I get emails from people expressing their gratitude and enjoyment. I certainly enjoy getting the tunes in my email and uploading them. Sometimes, I have time to write back to the people who send tunes; lately, I've been under more time pressure and feel a little guilty not responding. I get a weekly counter tally by email saying how many hits/day and per week. It goes up to 50 a day; miniscule by some standards, but hey. I know the project is not a waste of time, so it seems worth the effort.

It's made the world a smaller and more friendly place, news notwithstanding. People are sending in tunes from most places on the globe. (Nothing from mainland China or the former Soviet Union, so far, but just about everywhere else.) We've got Xavier in Singapore, Tuaz in the Philppines, a handful of Aussies, most of Western Europe is represented, South America popped in a couple of times, not to mention the North American Continent. MurphyStout of 'you'reafrickenloser'fame, I've met. He's done a collaboration with Xavier. I've done a collaboration with a limey and others. Sending in your tunes makes it more real for me. Remember The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? The Mexican guy is taking a bubble bath upstairs and a bounty hunter gets into his room to kill him. This bounty hunter stands there menacing the guy. He has a gun under the bubbles and shoots the bounty hunter. He says, "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk about it."
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Laura,

That was really great! You sound like a pro! How long have you been playing the dulcimer? Did you learn on your own or did you have a teacher?
I really enjoyed listening to it, I hope you will be sending in more clips for us to enjoy.

Thanks,
Kathy

Edited to tell Tony publicly, I appreciate all the time you take to put all the clips and snips up so we can all enjoy them. I told him this in an email but I think we should all thank him for the time and headaches he endures to help make this site even better!

Edited agin cuz I ken't spel

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chattiekathy on 2003-02-17 23:44 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chattiekathy on 2003-02-17 23:46 ]</font>
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Very cool! Dulcimer is one of my favs. I play here locally w/ a dulcimer group (that I have shamelessly dragged into my upcoming "hoolie" group) and whistle sounds great with them too... when I'm not overblowing resulting in squeaks, or missing the changeup! :smile:

And I agree.. Thank you Tony for keeping the site going and going and going.... It's great to have and I am always trying to learn tunes I hear on the site.

And thanks to all the contributors to the site!! Great stuff for me to work on and hopefully someday learn well enough to nag everyone into playing it with me! :wink:

Take care!

John

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McHaffie on 2003-02-18 00:29 ]</font>
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

On 2003-02-17 23:35, TonyHiggins wrote:
...It's made the world a smaller and more friendly place, news notwithstanding. People are sending in tunes from most places on the globe....We've got Xavier in Singapore, Tuaz in the Philppines, a handful of Aussies, most of Western Europe is represented, South America popped in a couple of times, not to mention the North American Continent....."
Tony
Tony, I'm from Singapore as well. It's Tots who's in the Philippines. You're not the first person to confuse the names, so don't worry about it.

Tots has contributed tunes to the old Clips and Snips site, but it's been some time. He's more often found on the flute forum now. michaelS (flute forum) and I did meet up with Tots when he was in Singapore abt 2 yrs ago.

Tuaz
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Laura! Tam Lin was super!

Redwolf
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Thanks to Laura for that awesomely beautiful tune and to Tony for all the work involved in making these contributions available to us.
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Blush...

Thanks.

And thank you Tony!!!

Hmm... it might be a while before I add whistle. It came more naturally to play it on dulcimer. It tis quite a ruff range for whistle... Hmmm... perhaps a bit of inspiration will settle in and I can do a bit of improv.

As for how long I have been playing.... you got a minute? I will make the story short... really I will.

I discovered the magical dulcimer at one of those reenactment shows back in September of 1990. I fell in love with it. At the time I was pregnant and coming out of some rough emotional tramas... My hubby bought me one.

What they say about music and babies in the womb is true. Very settling to the infant. And having the soundboard right there beside her was met with much approval from my baby.

I never took a lesson, however later on down the road I joined a dulcimer club and started attending festivals. Learning from jamming with others. Very valuable tool.

Now if only I could find a local session. :smile:

Thanks again for all of your possitive support.

OBTW... out of all three of my children, my youngest is the only one showing a strong interest to music. Hmmmm....

Laura
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Tony, I'm from Singapore as well. It's Tots who's in the Philippines. You're not the first person to confuse the names, so don't worry about it.
Urk. I always do that. Sorry, bro' Haven't heard from Tots in quite a while. Four letters, starts with a T. More than my brain can keep organized...Hope all is well with you.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Laura, I've only just listened to your Tam Lin clip - it's very well done! And I like the chords that you used.

On another note...
On 2003-02-18 18:45, TonyHiggins wrote:
Urk. I always do that. Sorry, bro' .... More than my brain can keep organized...Hope all is well with you.
Tony
I'm fine, Tony, this sister is fine.
:smile: