Sweaty Fingers and Slippery Nickel? A Simple Solution

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Sweaty Fingers and Slippery Nickel? A Simple Solution

Post by Mikethebook »

I have the same problem with my aluminium Low D and, of course, with the weight, the slippage is much more pronounced. I like the idea of the rubber finger tips and will give that a try. At the moment I have cushioned sticking plasters attached where my thumbs go, though the grip won't be as good as rubber finger tips. Christophe can you tell me more about the grip tape and where you bought it?
Christophe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Sweaty Fingers and Slippery Nickel? A Simple Solution

Post by Christophe »

Mike, it's just a basic anti-slip tape I bought at the hardware store. I used to use these tapes when I was a teen for my skateboard... which takes us back some time ago. I think 3M calls it Safety Walk Slip-resistant tape. There are various grain sizes, just like sandpaper. I use a medium size grain. It tends to get smooth due to sweat over time, so it has to be replaced once a while.