usefulness of low D in sessions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
the_instrument_player
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by the_instrument_player »

Not that I really have a lot of session experience... but one of my common philosophies with music in general is that an instruments doesn't necessarily have to be "heard" individually in order to make a useful contribution. Sometimes the way it blends with another instrument creates a whole new, unique timbre that enhances the sound. For instance, even though a low whistle might not be heard above the violin, it may blend with it to create a new sound-- because you don't just hear the violin alone anymore, you hear it blended with a touch of low D beauty. =) Ok, so I like low whistles, but anyways, that is my 2 cents worth.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Well, my only problem with that is that when I can't hear myself, then playing well enough to blend with others is virtually impossible for me. Others may be able to do it, but not me. I don't care to be the loudest person in the room, that's bad mojo, I just need to be loud enough to hear myself so I can fit in and be a positive contributor to what's going on, and that's not always possible when playing low d, but then that's just me.

Loren
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Same for me, Loren -- if I can't hear myself, I can't play.
Jo C
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jo C »

If you have a good strong low D, like an overton ar Kerry Pro, they're useful for knocking out offending bodhran, guitar or flute players.