Reasons for owning/playing Low D & Low F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Reasons for owning/playing Low D & Low F

Post by hans »

I think Overton and Kerry whistles have used the same size of alu tubing for low G and low F. Many other makers have not. I started out with using the same tubing, but now use tubing of different size for standard low G and low F (about 18mm ID for low G and 20mm for low F). The thinner tubing for low G certainly helped for an easier top end. That said I just finished another wider bore low G as part of a low G/low F combo set (one head two bodies), which handles very well in the top end, and with the increased power a wider bore can offer. I guess much depends on window dimensions, finish and voicing, and does not depend solely on wider versus narrower bore. Apart from how well a player can push the high notes, if they need pushing.

I love playing both low G and low F, really impossible to say which I prefer. Perhaps F# ? :lol:
Brigitte

Re: Reasons for owning/playing Low D & Low F -(me may be a CP?)

Post by Brigitte »

Peter Duggan wrote: But I'd suggest you also take a look at what the likes of Fraser Fifield's done with Fs (we're on a whistle forum here, not just an Irish trad forum, right?) to see that 'sweet spot' being exploited in ways which probably just wouldn't work with other sizes (or indeed other players!).
Just to clarify here so you would not expect a standard whistle to perform like Fraser's whistle.... The F whistle you see and hear in the two videos is not a standard F whistle as it has additional tone holes and blowing specifications to Fraser's wishes. As far as his other Low whistles made by Colin, they also all have been customized this way to suit his needs.

Also regarding the Alto G whistles to correct Hans, Colin makes two different bore models, in the standard Alto tubing and a small bore version and does so for some other keys as well.

Greetings
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
cunparis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

Brigitte wrote:Also regarding the Alto G whistles to correct Hans, Colin makes two different bore models, in the standard Alto tubing and a small bore version and does so for some other keys as well.
I saw that Colin has the different bore choices. Can you explain what the impact of the different bore sizes will have on the whistles? That's why I plan to wait a while before ordering one so I can learn more about it and decide what I want.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Usually the small bore models can be easier players than big bore models, especially in the high end of the second octave. They also can be quieter and may not have the full fat sound of the big bore models. Depending on the preferences or the music you play one suits better than the other.

Greetings
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Brigitte wrote:Just to clarify here so you would not expect a standard whistle to perform like Fraser's whistle.... The F whistle you see and hear in the two videos is not a standard F whistle as it has additional tone holes and blowing specifications to Fraser's wishes.
Ah, that's interesting because Phil Hardy told me (when I asked a few months back) he was playing a Kerry Pro F in those videos! But perhaps that was my fault for trying my own research first and prompting him with 'Google suggests he may be/have been a Kerry Pro player?'

Might add (back to edit this about 45 mins later) that I'd wouldn't expect any whistle ('standard' or not) to perform like Fraser's whistle without Fraser to play it, but saw no reason (from my own experience of both low whistles and 20th century recorder techniques) why someone of his talent couldn't be getting these sounds from a standard Overton, Goldie or Kerry Pro, and still think his choice of the F significant (for these pieces anyway) in terms of that 'sweet spot'.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
voggy_dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by voggy_dog »

Thanks. Just when I thought I had enough whistles.....
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

voggy_dog wrote:Thanks. Just when I thought I had enough whistles.....
Resistance is futile!
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Actually, if I had pick 3 whistles for a desert island deal, it would be High D, low F, and low D, probably in that order.
voggy_dog

Post by voggy_dog »

Feadoggie wrote:
voggy_dog wrote:Thanks. Just when I thought I had enough whistles.....
Resistance is futile!
*Sigh* I guess you're right. Low F whistle on the way. When does it end?
scottie

Post by scottie »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:take a look at what the likes of Fraser Fifield's done with Fs
Not saying he doesn't play anything else (!), but this is the kind of thing I mean...
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movies/FraserFifiled07.wmv
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movies/Fra ... eld07b.wmv
Thanks Peter for posting the audio files. They are great. Love this kind of music. The first time I heard some of this on the Kerrywhistles site I got hooked.

scottie
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

whistle1000 wrote:
There's just something about that F key. I read somewhere here about Bflat being the tone of the " universal vibration " . Dude, you'd be in harmony with the universe! Lol. I'll save that mumbo jumbo for my Ai (harmony) Ki (energy) Do(the way).

Seriously though, you'll love the low F.

This quote may seem a little new-agey but it's so true and I've been saying it for the better part of two years. The Low F is a unique whistle. Most folks for whom I play like it better than the low D. Of course it could be my playing too.

The first low F I owned was by Domnahl na Gruen and the first time I played a tune where that Bb note was held for bar or two, (Amhrán na Leabhar) my neighbor looked over the back fence to tell me that note was "magical". I convinced Michael back in April to make for me a Copeland brass low F and that magic Bb became cosmic. Yes, I'm an old hippie.

Dale said
Actually, if I had pick 3 whistles for a desert island deal, it would be High D, low F, and low D, probably in that order.
FWIW, I'd choose high D, alto A (I know, it's a little redundant but I love the low end) and low F.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ecohawk wrote:FWIW, I'd choose high D, alto A (I know, it's a little redundant but I love the low end) and low F.
Think I might too, but must add that I can't see anything remotely 'redundant' about alto A when it's just not possible to play some tunes (like Donald Shaw's Calum's Road, which fits beautifully, or a huge slice of D major fiddle repertoire) nicely on whistle in their original key without it!

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:a huge slice of D major fiddle repertoire
I wonder if the slice might seem more huge if the focus is on Scottish fiddle repertoire, like JS Skinner tunes that embrace the G string with abandon. As a generality (not a rule, of course) Irish tunes tend to avoid the basement, and wind players are used to folding up anyway. The range of many D tunes will land you in trouble on A whistle on the high end at (concert) G and above, so you end up having to fold down.

Maybe Scottish players sense an affinity between A whistle and GHB chanter (though lacking the bottom note)?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:I wonder if the slice might seem more huge if the focus is on Scottish fiddle repertoire
Perhaps, yes...
like JS Skinner tunes that embrace the G string with abandon.
But it's not just Scott Skinner (who, despite tunes like The Bonnie Lass o' Bon Accord being a perfect two-octave fit on the A whistle, is probably one the less 'whistley' Scots fiddle composers).
As a generality (not a rule, of course) Irish tunes tend to avoid the basement, and wind players are used to folding up anyway. The range of many D tunes will land you in trouble on A whistle on the high end at (concert) G and above, so you end up having to fold down.
Granted, but some tunes fold up nicely (eg The Mountain Road, which is Irish) and some get utterly destroyed. On which note (to head off at a slight tangent), who could ever be happy with the 'normal' (folded up) version of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto after hearing it restored for basset clarinet?
Maybe Scottish players sense an affinity between A whistle and GHB chanter (though lacking the bottom note)?
Maybe... or maybe not! Because surely most of us still play pipe tunes with standard D whistle fingerings rather than changing to lower-register pseudo-chanter stuff?

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Maybe Scottish players sense an affinity between A whistle and GHB chanter (though lacking the bottom note)?
Maybe... or maybe not! Because surely most of us still play pipe tunes with standard D whistle fingerings rather than changing to lower-register pseudo-chanter stuff?
PS Another reason to get a low F might be to play along with this lovely performance (great pipers, both of them!) using standard D whistle fingerings...

:)

Master of nine?