Let me live vicariously....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

Re: wood instruments improving over time: I believe that they do. I have a Powell (Boehm system) African Blackwood flute that's one year old, and just sounds better and better, unlike my silver flute that doesn't seem to change. The tone on the wood flute seems to become more colorful, and smoother with age. I have an old Powell piccolo (1958) that I could sell in ten seconds, if I wanted to.

(Forgive me, all for my digression from the theme of this thread).
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I have to agree with Tony about how a whistle may seem to "improve" over time. This even happens with metal whistles, which obviously has litle to do with the instrument itself, but rather with player adaptation.

IMHO, nothing in all of whistledom has the responsiveness of a good Generation, but in the search for the ultimate whistle, there may be several which have a superior tone (or at least a tone which appeals more to the player). It is definitely worth a struggle to get used to the idiosyncracies of the instrument in order to take full advantage of the tone.

Stability is another issue. Responsiveness and stability are to some extent incompatible. For example, a whistle either has very easy octave transitions (responsive), or it doesn't (stable). You can't have both. The best you can hope for is a compromise.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Abell is an understated
whistle, so that one doesn't
realize quite what it is for
awhile. Then it keeps getting
better.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Could we please not talk about Abells anymore? You're making me sad.... :sad:
Chris
lathem

Post by lathem »

Mr. Claus was exceptionally generous this year:

My O'Riordan C/D set arrived this week. The wait was long (35 months), but worth it; these are phenomenal whistles.

Also, though not exactly whistle related, I found a copy of Akira Tsumura's "1001 Banjos" under the tree this morning. For you poor unfortunates who are unfamiliar with things banjo, this is a limited-print, 900+ page, 18-pound tome chock-full of photographs of some of the world's rarest and most beautiful banjos. Excruciatingly expensive, but also worth it.

Happy Holidays!

--
Mark
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

• The Ungrateful Wretch (just kidding!) graduated college last May and decamped for the other coast, so it's my first Christmas alone--ever.
• The guitar-playing friend is keeping Christmas with his 95-year-old Quaker mom.
• Sisters and Mom are 700 miles away.
• Spent the day snowed in.
• The big dinner with the neighbor's family is postponed until clement weather.

On the other hand, I spent a restful, pressure-free day, did some laundry, some reading, and talked to family far away (including said Ungrateful Wretch). Last week I got an unexpected year-end bonus at work so I paid some overdue and worrysome bills.

The cats think the bows from packages are the greatest toys ever and carry them around so they can then bat them across the floor.

Life is still good!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Ah, Christmas. I think my wife's buying me a low d tinwhistle she found on ebay. I have no clue who the maker is, but since I'm a newbie to whistle playing, it really doesn't matter, does it? hehehe.

Merry Christmas!!
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

On 2002-12-25 19:09, littlejohngael wrote:
...since I'm a newbie to whistle playing, it really doesn't matter, does it? hehehe.

Merry Christmas!!
It does... don't impulse buy
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-25 19:23, Tony wrote:
On 2002-12-25 19:09, littlejohngael wrote:
...since I'm a newbie to whistle playing, it really doesn't matter, does it? hehehe.

Merry Christmas!!
It does... don't impulse buy
Ah, Scrooge, it's a GIFT, and it may even be fine.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

I guess I look at it differently.
One good whistle is better than a drawer full of bad ones.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

What fun reading about everyone's whistle/music gifts-- thanks for sharing your fun!! :smile: Marguerite, your day sounds like it was very nice indeed; peace and quiet is good for the soul! Though I'm sure you missed your Ungrateful Wretch just a little bit... maybe? :wink:

What, Tony-Pie, no whistles in your stocking this morn?

Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Tony

Post by Tony »

no Andrea, I'm awaiting more pipes though...
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Well, that's a happy thing then! Enjoy them when they arrive... :smile:

Have a great night all-- I'm off to rest my achin' back from cooking and slaving all day, with no whistle for pay. :razz:

Hugs and whistle-dreams,
A ~*~
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Inside the card from my parents was a slip of paper reading: "Gift certificate for one tinwhistle, key and maker of your choice." Woohoo! Now I just have to decide between an Elfsong, a Hoover, a Sindt or maybe an Abell. I've been dying for an Elfsong but I'd also really like to try a wooden one. Decisions decisions! I know you guys are sick of hearing this question, but any suggestions? :grin:
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

Aderyn:
Of COURSE I miss her, but I figure I did my job if she's happy, independent, educated, and employed. I wouldn't want to end up like those moms on Dr. Phil who couldn't let the kids go! Besides, I'll get to go see her his summer--maybe she and her sweetie will have furniture by then. I've never been to San Jose, so it'll be fun.

Soineanta:
I've got three Elfsongs and I couldn't be happier. Well, if I had 5 or 6, I COULD be happier... I can't offer an opinion on the other whistles, though. (What colors? A clear-coat C, a metal-flake ruby D and a metal-flake emerald D.)

I gave the Ungrateful Wretch a matched emerald C and D for college graduation, by the way. Her fiddles are sitting neglected in my living room, awaiting shipment.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg