Which tin whistle should i get?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
osage59
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Which tin whistle should i get?

Post by osage59 »

As a newbie I still have plenty to learn with my humble Oak.
I will someday buy that second whistle - or maybe even a flute.

:)
TheFlyingScott100

Post by TheFlyingScott100 »

talasiga wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
Kypfer wrote:I'm wondering whether you want a whistle as an instrument or as a fashion statement
That's a bit harsh, Kypfer ... Just put yourself in the shoes of someone facing the bewildering choice of whistles out there for the first time. :o
I think that would be quite difficult because that "someone" comes in all shapes and sizes. For instance this one
TheFlyingScott100 wrote:........i want something a little more classy.
has class aspirations. Not everyone facing the bewildering choice brings classiness to the party (of considerations).

Ok i'm kinda disapointed in some of the community here. I was expecting help and support not people judging me on my word choices. What i meant by the above statement was that i'd like something better quality than a clark. I don't know much about whistles still (i'm new) and from what i can see there has to be better tin whistles than them. I love my clarke and all but it looks cheap. I was hopeing to expand into something of a little better quality.
Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird »

I love, love, love my Freeman-tweaked whistles. I probably play the Freeman Blackbird in D the most, because I like the sweetness of the second octave, and it doesn't require as much breath...but I love the Mellow Dog D/C set too. The C whistle especially. I also have several of those $5 red "Mel Bay by Clarke" whistles (same as a plain cheapie Clarke as far as I can tell) that I bought for my kids. Some are better than others. I still play those too.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

The community is really pretty good, just try to keep a sense of humor.

As for which whistle should you get, I really like my Freeman Mellow Dogs.
Most of my other whistles have been gathering dust since I got these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Freeman-Whistle-Mel ... 0665943150
Denny

Post by Denny »

TheFlyingScott100 wrote:Ok i'm kinda disapointed in some of the community here. I was expecting help and support not people judging me on my word choices. What i meant by the above statement was that i'd like something better quality than a clark. I don't know much about whistles still (i'm new) and from what i can see there has to be better tin whistles than them. I love my clarke and all but it looks cheap. I was hopeing to expand into something of a little better quality.
b-b-b-but there is no one right answer.

Although everyone's answer may be right for them.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
sfwhistle

Post by sfwhistle »

I've learned a lot about whistle by reading the comments on this site. I would suggest going to The Irish Flute Store and The Irish Whistle Shop to check out whistles. Both are run by C and F members. If you see a whistle you're interested in, search this site for comments/reviews of that particular whistle. And continue to ask questions. You will find that most members will be very helpful.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Denny wrote:b-b-b-but there is no one right answer.
Denny - I thought that was a chicken, not a billy goat.
Denny

Post by Denny »

We kept goats for a few years....probably do it again when we're both retired.
Dairy, need to do somethin' with the kids though. :puppyeyes:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

[Not so much a clean as a minor thread-wipe. Carry on - Mod.]
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

How classy is it to organise your whisltes in order of $$ rather than looking at playing characteristics?.

As far as I am concerned, if you can't make a cheap whistle sing, no $$ thrown at hardware is going to save you.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, I'm not sure I read it that way. For instance, I do understand that sort of cheap, lightweight, feel that a lot of the cheapest whistles have. But then, if I was into the Clarke's sound I might upgrade as far as a Clarke's Original or Victorian, say. Just 'cos they look and feel nicer. It's not that they cost all that much.

Having said which, my favourite all-round whistle happens to be a high D Reyburn, which wasn't exactly cheap. Then again, in small, intimate sessions, I play something quieter - at the moment, one of Jerry Freeman's Blackbirds. But I also have an old Generation high D that would knock the socks off either. Smooth, apparently quiet and yet the sound carries.

I do still understand the motive to have something in your hands that feels more solid than some of the cheapies, though. It's normal, I think.

In the end, the best whistlers can make almost anything sing. No argument.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

TheFlyingScott100 wrote:What i meant by the above statement was that i'd like something better quality than a clark. I don't know much about whistles still (i'm new) and from what i can see there has to be better tin whistles than them. I love my clarke and all but it looks cheap. I was hopeing to expand into something of a little better quality.
What sort of Clarke have you got? The Clarke's Originals look classy in a 19th Century throw-back way, whereas the Sweetones come in various colours and designs.

By "better quality" do you mean the feel of the whistle or the sound? The Shaw perhaps a better quality version of the Clarke in terms of materials / feel whilst having a similar flute-like sound. However, there are whistles that sound very different - perhaps take a look at some of the Youtube clips to get an appreciation for the difference in tone between a Feadog and a Susato for instance. It rather depends what sound you are looking for.

You may find that a cheap whistle will be good enough for now. You may find that a cheap whistle will be good enough for the next couple of years. You may find that a cheap whistle will be good enough for ever. Opinions here differ.

I was very happy with my Clarke Sweetone (listen to a recording on my website below - Skye Boat Song) and then I was persuaded to pay a little more for a Dixon Trad. Now I wouldn't go back and frankly I'm not as happy with the website recording as I was. Perhaps in a few years I'll be persuaded to buy a more expensive whistle, but I get very nice comments when I play my Dixon, so for now I'm content. (I also have a range of other cheap whistles, some of which I pick up occasionally, some of which gather dust).

Anyway, welcome and hope that helps.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

benhall.1 wrote:I do still understand the motive to have something in your hands that feels more solid than some of the cheapies, though. It's normal, I think.
Cheap is a duel meaning word that can mean inexpensive and/or shoddy workmanship. It all reminds me of once purchasing an inexpensive phone (one that had cords and plugged into the wall) that felt nice and heavy as if it had sturdy construction. After the warranty period, the thing was unusable. Being one of those people that takes things apart in search of wires, switches, speakers, and magnets I took the thing apart only to find a sizable chunk of cast iron bolted on the inside of the handset. The feel was fabricated and was form with the function of selling it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
killthemessenger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by killthemessenger »

Fear not. You want a better whistle - and that makes sense to anyone who doesn't believe that cheepnis is itself a virtue - by which I don't mean the little strings on the giant spider, or the zipper from the black lagoon, but poorly made instruments which are hard to play. Spend some money (100, 200 euros) on a decent instrument and enjoy yourself.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think there's a virtue in only playing cheap whistles and I'd be the last one to say they're all good. The elephant in the room however is the fact that quite a few of the 'designer' whistles don't live up to their pricetag in my experience. They do not by definition sound better and they they are certainly not easier to play. In fact most of them are not very rewarding to play at all in my opinion.

So the point of my advocating of learning to play a cheap whistle well is that you will develop skills that will enable you to determine what it is you are looking for in an instrument and subsequently which instrument will fit your preferences.

Expecting to get an easy playing, fine instrument because you throw money at it, that's not how it is going to work. Things aren't quite divided in such a simple black and white manner.
My brain hurts