First Low Whistle: Dixon or Susato?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Anyanka
antispam: No

Re: First Low Whistle: Dixon or Susato?

Post by Anyanka »

My two-pennies-worth comes free of any great technical knowledge, just personal recommendation: Dixon, anytime anywhere.

I like the sound of my Dixon polymer low D, but would like to replace it with a Dixon alloy low D because I like that even better. It's brighter, very clean. I've tried some of the more expensive makes, such as Chieftain, MK and Howard and wasn't bowled over by the sound or the feel of them. Didn't like the Susato low D at all.
I also have a Susato low G, and would swap it for a Dixon any day. I find the sound unpleasant, kinda nasal/choked. They're loud alright, but that's about all.
osage59
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by osage59 »

Can I ask a dumb question?

As I have been gaining more exposure to this new whistling world out there I find myself drawn to the tone of the low whistles. I'm not really in the market (yet) for a new whistle (or two), but can I use a low whistle to play the same songs etc out of my growing collections of whistle books?

Told ya it was a dumb question! :-?
Whistle Free or Die

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

Repeat after me.
" There are no dumb questions"

Close your eyes and click you whistles together.
"There are no dumb questions"
Susan
trill

Post by trill »

Whistle Free or Die wrote:Close your eyes and click you whistles together.
:lol:

Osage: If you've learned a tune on a high-D, The same fingering sequence will work on a low-D just fine. The tune will be in the same Key, just an octave lower. It's one piece of "the magic of whistles" !

The only caveat is that the "reach" on low whistles is different than high whistles. It took me a while to get used to it. Also, I've found that the hole pattern varies by maker. So, depending on your hand size and proportions, a "pipers grip" may be needed.

trill
osage59

Post by osage59 »

Close your eyes and click you whistles together.

Hey...just one more whistle to go and I can click 'em :)
osage59

Post by osage59 »

Osage: If you've learned a tune on a high-D, The same fingering sequence will work on a low-D just fine. The tune will be in the same Key, just an octave lower. It's one piece of "the magic of whistles" !

Thanks Trill. I had a hunch that was the case, but I thought I'd put my plea to the universe, as it were! :wink:
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

osage59 wrote:

As I have been gaining more exposure to this new whistling world out there I find myself drawn to the tone of the low whistles. I'm not really in the market (yet) for a new whistle (or two), but can I use a low whistle to play the same songs etc out of my growing collections of whistle books?
You can (as explained by the previous poster) but the flavour of the low whistle is quite different. I prefer playing fast stuff like jigs & reels on the high whistles, and slow airs on the low ones. I find the fast tunes technically harder on the low whistle, too: running out of air and all that. Of course you can always slow the fast ones down, which changes them completely.
osage59

Post by osage59 »

Thanks Anyanka. Sounds like good advice. Maybe a low whistle is the way to go - someday. At this point in my life and at my low skill level I don't see getting near any reels except for those on my fishing poles! :)
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

At the NAMM show in February I met the man himself and got a chance to extensively play Tony's prototype conical plastic Low D whistle. (Not to be confused with any whistles Tony has made in the past. This one is new.)

If they're in production now, and if the production models play like that prototype did, that would be my choice for a $100 Low D whistle.

The whistle had a very special sound and more importantly a great "action" or voicing. I switched back and forth between it and my beloved MK (in my opinion the best Low D bar none) and there was the distinct feeling of switching between types of instruments, rather than switching between two Low D whistles. I was very impressed!

Not as loud as the MK, but very special.

Now this prototype was one piece, but Tony said it will be available in a tunable two piece model.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

osage59 wrote:Close your eyes and click you whistles together.

Hey...just one more whistle to go and I can click 'em :)
Ooommmm. What is the sound of one whistle clicking?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

osage59 wrote:At this point in my life and at my low skill level I don't see getting near any reels except for those on my fishing poles! :)
There are plenty of reels that benefit from a slower speed....more than I had realised. No need for speed.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
osage59

Post by osage59 »

No need for speed.

Hey Phill, thanks! I bookmarked the link and will delve into it.
I just "discovered" the Sessions website a few days ago :)
Magickdancer

Post by Magickdancer »

I read all the above posts, and no one yet has mentioned the Kerry Low D, for £50, made by Phil Hardy. It's aluminum with a plastic fipple, and I have had no trouble at all getting beautiful sound out of it.

I have had to send back my Susato F whistle for repair, because the end of the top half of the whistle cracked at the joint. I've had no problems with any of my metal whistles, so I would say for basic sturdiness I would choose metal over plastic.

Kristen