Looking for cheap, quiet whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Jayhawk; If you are going with the Oak you might want to hit the Whistle shop for a Waltons fipple $3.98. The best thing I did for my Oak, besides sticking it in the wall was to put the Waltons fipple on. It seemed to settle it down considerably and it is my secound favorite whistle in my stable of cheep whistles. I know from the flute forume that you will soon want to tweak so that is a good start. I also have a super Gen D tweaked by a fellow Chiff and Fippler and it is the sweatest sounding Gen I have ever heard. So have fun and whistle on.:smile:

Tom
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Well, this thread had come alive again, and I thank everyone for their advice. I happen to know that Santa is going to deliver a Clarke Original to me for Christmas...the Oak "lip numbing" issue bothered me too much to go with one of those and there just are not many other whistle options available locally.

Also, I think I opted for the Clarke because if I can't afford a nice conical wood flute I can at least afford a conical whistle with wooden fipple!
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

byll has it right, hands down!!!

get mack hoover's whitecap! it is wonderful!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-12-23 17:59, tomcat wrote:
byll has it right, hands down!!!

get mack hoover's whitecap! it is wonderful!
It's what I play. Great whistle, with beautiful tone.
Reasonable person
Walden
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by E = Fb »

Jay,
I don't know if you are into tweaking whistles, but the Oak is the whistle that IMHO tweaks up to your specifications. I have two nickle Oaks in D. Both are the most flute-like whistles I've played. Both are very quiet. Because of the way I tweak them, they end up looking a bit "butchered" around the window...not great to look at. But they sound so sweet!
If you send me your address I'll mail one of them to you. If you like it you can pay be the cost of an Oak plus the amount of mypostage. If you don't like it I'd ask you to ship it back. I think you'll like it.
Tom.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tom,

I'm quite into tweaking - both flutes and whistles, and I appreciate your kind offer, but I'm going to give the Clarke that I know is beneath my Christmas tree right now a go.

I truly do appreciate the offer though!
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

Well, I have the Oak and the Clarke, they are both my favorites. The Clarke is my around-the-house player though. Much softer and more flute like. I have tweeked it some though. The Oak has a more pure tone though so that's what I use in class. The bell note on the Oak is tough to get right sometimes because it takes almost no air going in to sound it. A lot of the time it sounds buzzy to me because I'm using too much air. I don't think you'll go wrong either way though.
Happy Holidays
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)