Newbie 2009 Summer Challenge

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
walrii
antispam: No

Re: Newbie 2009 Summer Challenge

Post by walrii »

I visited the non-newbie thread first and thought pancelticpiper had the wildest location prize by playing the the Battlestar Galactica concert in downtown Los Angeles. Then I come here and see Taji_Sapper's tale of playing on an Iraqi tank - I think the desert trumps the California Plaza for wildest location. Thanks for an amazing story, Taji, and for your service.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

This is my challenge. Any future attempts by people to decide who has the coolest location or anything else will of course get to say hello to my leetle friend, my bamboo Low D Whistle.

So far, I happen to agree. But that is beside the point. You may offer input.......but even then cautiously.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Taji_Sapper

Post by Taji_Sapper »

I think all the locations are cool, as long as there is a whistle involved....
As far as this mythical bamboo low D...doesn't scare me! Has anyone actually seen this affront to all the gods? I think it is all a bluff. Come on prove me wrong... :poke:
:D
Steve

Post by mutepointe »

Did somebody give you an order to think solder? GIVE ME 50 DANNY BOYS RIGHT NOW. ONE SQUEAK AND YOU'RE STARTING OVER. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR MARY? (My Dad taught marching after WW II)
白飞梦
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Hmmm...I don't know that it's changed that much in 22 years, but when I was an Australian soldier, it was expected that you would think. For two reasons, firstly they don't won't a bunch of automatons blindly carrying out an order, there is no point in trying to march through a fence when the gate is open and just a little off course, you can correct the course back after you pass the obstacle. Secondly a soldier who doesn't think is quickly dead, or worse, gets his mates killed. Maybe it's different in the American military, but I wouldn't think so.

Sorry, you can go back to what you were talking about now. I've finished talking...For now. :D

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

1. Your newbie status.
Playing since March (5 months, in which I stopped for 3)

2. The best place you whistled this summer. (Country, State, County, City, Landmark (e.g. Cave, Cathedral, Lake)
At a river bead in Portugal, I doubt you'll know where it is if I say the name of the place...)

3. How good the acoustics were.
Nature...al

4. Did you play by yourself or with other people.
By myself, couldn't convince my girlfriend to try the extra whistle I took

5. What song/s you played.
Road to Lisdonvarna, Concerning Hobbits, Scarborough Fair, and a lot of "on the hour" improvisation

6. If people were present, the approximate number.
Well, that might be listening maybe 5 or 6

7. How did the people respond? (e.g. clap, no response, verbal comments, throw money, bleed, jump to their death.)
My gf loved it (well she said she did, so please LET ME BELIVE OK??? :P) the rest of the people I didn't know, well their ears probably blead to death. Not my concern.... *Whistler Bard whistles in air and looks the other way*
kilishan

Post by kilishan »

I've been playing for about 3 months, now. Only know 3 songs, but working on it! :)

As a member of Capt'n Black's Sea Dogges, we've been playing the last couple weekends at a local Renaissance Faire, 2 shows a day plus the occasional busking in the afternoons.

Had a magical moment during last Sunday's afternoon show where I finally managed to completely relax into the music and forget the fact that I don't feel qualified to be playing the instrument in front of a crowd yet. Unlike the rest of the performances where there were always a few errors or stiff parts or missed portions, I hit every note perfectly. They flowed from one to the other just like they were supposed to. It was incredible. The shows since then I've done better than I had been doing before that show, but haven't made it back to the zone again. Guess I just need to learn to relax a bit more.

The song was Boston and St. John's, by Great Big Sea. The crowd's reaction was was great - lots of huzzahs and clapping, though it's such a beautiful song that we normally get a good reception with that one, even when I flub it. After the show, though, the lead singer, who is normally a bit stingy with his praise, called it "haunting".

Yeah, a proud moment.
--------
Captain Black's Sea Dogges - traditional and original songs of the sea.
VA Caver

Post by VA Caver »

1. Your newbie status.
I bought my first whistle in Blarney while on vacation in May, so I guess that qualifies as pretty new.

2. The best place you whistled this summer. (Country, State, County, City, Landmark (e.g. Cave, Cathedral, Lake)
So far, on my back deck (reason given in question 4). I plan on taking my whistle on my next cave trip and playing deep underground (caving is my passion).

Pretty good on the deck...my yard is wooded and very quiet. When I get to play in a cave I'm hoping it'll be pretty good...we'll see.

By myself...the wife kicked me out of the house.

Amazing Grace was my first since it looked the easiest.

Once I was banished from the house, it was just me and the dog on the deck.

7. How did the people respond? (e.g. clap, no response, verbal comments, throw money, bleed, jump to their death.)
The dog howled and whined. I had to put her in the house for peace and quiet :D
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You had better take a medical team with you when you go caving. You will die when you hear a whistle in a cave. Try a stairwell just to prepare yourself.
白飞梦
realale

Post by realale »

kilishan wrote: The song was Boston and St. John's, by Great Big Sea.
Great song! Did you see that GBS is playing a free show in Joplin at the Performing Arts Center on Oct 5? I'm seeing them the night before in St. Louis - which is not free, but I'm still excited to see them.

Just got my new Dixon Traditional D in nickel today, so I'm adjusting (very easily) to that, and will try to have a non-tangential contribution to the thread soon.

Cheers,

Dave
Miniac

Post by Miniac »

Please let us know:
1. Your newbie status.

My lovely bride gave me my first whistle on Father's day of this year.

My back porch.

Lotsa trees, quite warm and humid with a gentle breeze, probably would have been beautifully haunting if I could play worth a dang.

(Now, the acoustics in the bathroom are amazing, . . . wait a minute, . . . uuuuh, I think that's all I'm gonna say about that.)

Family came and went through the evening.

All the tunes I'm working on-
Traditional: (Thank goodness I can already read music)
The Ashgrove
The Merry Blacksmith
Sporting Paddy
The Blarney Pilgrim

Hymns: (All by ear)
In Christ Alone
Be Thou My Vision
Before the Throne of God Alone

All played much too slowly with lots of wrong notes and squawks, and some laughter.

0 to 6 or 7 through the evening.

Three common verbal responses:
1) "Hey, I know that one!"
2) "Shouldn't that be faster?"
3) "Is that thing really s'posta sound like that?"

Howzat?

-kevin
VA Caver

Post by VA Caver »

mutepointe wrote:You had better take a medical team with you when you go caving. You will die when you hear a whistle in a cave. Try a stairwell just to prepare yourself.
I don't know...the cave I'm going to has one particularly BIG room in it. I'm hoping it's gonna sound pretty good.
just4fun

Post by just4fun »

Been playing about a year and its definitely affecting my sanity! Picture if you will: Steering a canal boat through the Netherton tunnel (Birmingham) having noticed to my delight that the thing had a left hand bias meaning I could hold the old gal straight with a bit of pressure from my hip thus leaving both hands free........

Sindt D. Harvest Home. Captive audience. Unbelievable acoustics. Fiancee playing her Fiddle.

Need I say more?
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

My Newbie status:

I played for about 1 year back in 2003 when I discovered the tin whistle and this great forum. Due to health reasons and life changing events, I let my whistle sit in a mug for too long. I'm back at it now, for about 3 weeks (ever since I bought a new whistle at Irish Fest in Milwaukee) and practicing daily!

The Best Place I whistled this summer:

My backyard. Quiet, peaceful...the squirrels ran away from me however. More bird food for the birds.

How Good the Acoustics were:

I really wasn't paying attention..just trying to learn songs and fingerings again.

Did you play by yourself:
Yes, there is no other tin whistle players around for hundreds of miles. I think the closest one would be in Green Bay, about 80 miles away...but I'm not sure. So, I play the MP3 Files and try to keep up with Bro Steve and Grey Larsen...

Tunes I am working on:

I know "Off to California" by heart!
Working off Bro Steve's wonderful online tutorial..so all those songs.
Grey Larsen's Whistle Toolbook.

My husband's response:

"Now I know why St. Patrick banished the snakes from Ireland...wasn't he playing a whistle????" I am choosing to ignore him and play what I love! (he really does supports me...it was him that talked me into buying the whistle at Irish Fest this year)

Question on my own:

My goal for playing the whistle...

To be able to at least show myself at Irish Fest with all of the good C & F's out there who will be attending! I'm going all three days next year...and I will have my whistle!!

Picking up my whistle and playing again is like visiting an old friend..it doesn't take long to catch up and it feels like you were never apart! Is that love or what?????

Thanks for listening..maybe one day I can be an "experienced" player challenge!

Nancy