fun slip jig recomendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
apack

Re: fun slip jig recomendations?

Post by apack »

hans wrote:
apack wrote:"Boys of Balisodare" is my fav.,. and goes well with the Butterfly.
That's a reel, isn't it?
Actually there is both a reel and a slip jig. I meant this one:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1340

The comments section there has a few suggestions for other slip jigs that go well with this one.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

hans wrote:
One other slip jig i like playing is "An Phis Fliuch".
Maybe less a fun one and more of an interesting one, because of the C nats in the D tune. They sort of scream and give it some dark colour.
Best played probably on the pipes (which i don't play) :)
It's in G and has C sharps as accidentals. And probably someone will come along and tell us the correct mode and will maybe even tell us that some of parts are in different modes.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

FJohnSharp wrote:
hans wrote:One other slip jig i like playing is "An Phis Fliuch".
Maybe less a fun one and more of an interesting one, because of the C nats in the D tune. They sort of scream and give it some dark colour.
Best played probably on the pipes (which i don't play) :)
It's in G and has C sharps as accidentals. And probably someone will come along and tell us the correct mode and will maybe even tell us that some of parts are in different modes.
Hmmm. As I play it every part ends on low D.
A mix of D Mixolydian and D Major (Ionian), i would think.
Certainly not in G. Despite the way it is published here:
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/879
I often wonder about how tunes are set on thesession.

PS: "An Phis Fliuch" seems a suitable answer to the OP's PS
Last edited by hans on Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

An Phis Phliuch is in D mixolydian. Plain and simple. It is not in G. There are no other modes or keys involved. Modal music has certain notes which may, depending on the tune, be 'inflected'. In that particular tune, there is an occasional C#. That does not in any way affect the fact that the tune is in D mix.

And, in fact, in that particular tune, there are only C#'s as passing notes. They're not notes which form part of the main tune. As it happens, wherever they are marked in the version on the session.org, for instance, I would play a roll on the d.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

I just learned one called the Red Haired Girl and was taught to me by Kevin C. Not sure if it goes by other names or if it's well known. Will do my best with the ABC below. Do love it!

|:BCA AEA CBA
BAG G3 BCd (BAG Gfe dBG)-alternative
BCA AEA CBA
Bge dBG A2B:|

e2A AGE a3
g2e dBd ged
e2A AGE a3
g2e dBG A(Bcd)
e2A Age a3
g2e dBG GAB
cEc (Bcd)B AGE
g2e dBG A3
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

That's lovely on whistle, Irish Marine. I feel like I should know it ... ah well, I do now!

:love:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

benhall.1 wrote:An Phis Phliuch is in D mixolydian. Plain and simple. It is not in G. There are no other modes or keys involved. Modal music has certain notes which may, depending on the tune, be 'inflected'. In that particular tune, there is an occasional C#. That does not in any way affect the fact that the tune is in D mix.

And, in fact, in that particular tune, there are only C#'s as passing notes. They're not notes which form part of the main tune. As it happens, wherever they are marked in the version on the session.org, for instance, I would play a roll on the d.
See? For simpletons (like me) it is marked like it's in G (with one sharp). I knew it was something modal.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Another Jig Will Do is a favourite of mine - another one with nice C/C# ambiguity:

T:Another Jig Will Do
M:9/8
L:1/8
R:Slip Jig
K:D
ABA A2G F2G|ABA AGF ~G3|ABA A2G F2G|A2d d2c d3:|]
[|A2g f2d e2c|A2B =c2d cBc|A2g f2d e2c|A2d d2c d3|
A2g f2d e2c|A2B =c2d cB^c|d2A-~A2G F2G|A2d d2c d3|]

The last triplet of the 2nd bar of the B music could be played as a Cnat roll and I have notated the penultimate bar of the B music to (try to) show (works in ABCEdit) a roll tying the two As - I would play that as a very quick full roll on/in the time of the first quaver of the 2nd triplet - kinda like this if you split the crotchet A up into quavers just to illustrate: d2(A~AA)G - that is, not a "long roll" late in the time of the written crotchet A. I'd slur up into the D that starts that bar, play it short and breathe if wanted, then tongue the A at the end of that triplet and tie into the roll early in the crotchet of the next triplet.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

FJohnSharp wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:An Phis Phliuch is in D mixolydian. Plain and simple. It is not in G. There are no other modes or keys involved. Modal music has certain notes which may, depending on the tune, be 'inflected'. In that particular tune, there is an occasional C#. That does not in any way affect the fact that the tune is in D mix.

See? For simpletons (like me) it is marked like it's in G (with one sharp). I knew it was something modal.
That's the trouble with knowing a little bit of music theory - it leads you astray. Best not know any. :wink:

jemtheflute wrote:The last triplet of the 2nd bar of the B music could be played as a Cnat roll and I have notated the penultimate bar of the B music to (try to) show (works in ABCEdit) a roll tying the two As - I would play that as a very quick full roll on/in the time of the first quaver of the 2nd triplet - kinda like this if you split the crotchet A up into quavers just to illustrate: d2(A~AA)G - that is, not a "long roll" late in the time of the written crotchet A. I'd slur up into the D that starts that bar, play it short and breathe if wanted, then tongue the A at the end of that triplet and tie into the roll early in the crotchet of the next triplet.
Oh, come on, Jem. Surely you can give us more detail than that? I mean, how do you play every other single note in the tune? What variations do you put in where? Where do you breathe? How about accents? Not to mention some of the other slidey notes, triplets, cuts, taps, nicks, faucets ... asdmnm iru qwerm n ...

:o :boggle: ... sorry ... I started drivelling there ... got carried away ...

:twisted:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Has anybody mentioned my favourite slip jig yet? The Whinny Hills of Leitrim. Doesn't really go with the more hop jiggy rhythm of the Butterfly, but then, neither do several of the suggestions here ...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:I started drivelling there ... got carried away ...
What, again? Those pesky White-Coats from the holiday camp again? That's what comes of consorting with us windy types! We'll turn you into one of us, tap you up for what you know and then cut you off, (glottal) stop you up, roll you over and (diaphragm) push you out without so much as pausing to take a breath...... - You've got a lot to cran in before that happens! You're not allowed to bow out or get plucked off just yet, though...... we're going to string you along a bit more until you can bridge the gap, no more fiddling about, you gotta be serious!

Aren't you going to tell us what mode Another Jig is in? :wink: :moreevil:

Otherwise, just trying to be helpful on salient points! :D :poke:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

It's in D major. It is, vaguely, modal in character, so I suppose you could call it Ionian if you wanted to. I myself have never recognised the existence of such a mode, however. [sniff]

... and you want to watch those "salient points" - they're bad for the blood pressure, you know.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:you want to watch those "salient points" - they're bad for the blood pressure, you know.
Nah, that's the Battle of the Bulge......

Oh, yeah, and how's the little finger, Ben? I expected a report!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Little finger is getting better. It's getting much more natural. For the moment, though, it has set my tune playing back, almost to square one. But I reckon, from the sound, that it's probably worth it in the long run.