Top Tips for Intermediate Whistlers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

MTGuru wrote:My intermediate tip, especially for C&F denizens, is to leave your WhOA on the shelf, at least for a while. Pick a D whistle you like, any whistle, and play it. A lot. Get to know its quirks and character, its physical feel and acoustic response under as many conditions as possible. When your basic technique is solid and you're ready to add other whistles and keys, you'll have a firm baseline for judgment. You'll have learned how to learn.
Amen to that.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Half-holing: cover the top half of a hole (not the side) with your finger to get those "inbetween notes" like F natural.

(Maybe everyone else knew that, but I didn't).

Stay hoopy
(and keep the tips coming)
Mike
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

hoopy mike wrote:Half-holing: cover the top half of a hole (not the side) with your finger to get those "inbetween notes" like F natural.

(Maybe everyone else knew that, but I didn't).

Stay hoopy
(and keep the tips coming)
Mike
But that's wrong!

The whole point of that recent discussion is that you can cover the top, the bottom, or the sides, depending on what's easiest for you and how you hold the whistle.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

R-E-L-A-X !

Seriously. I think this may be one of the most difficult lessons to learn because it takes an intentional effort at all times. When attempting to practice ornamentation, and especially when learning new tunes many people have a tendency to death grip the whistle. When it comes down to it, what you practice is what becomes ingrained in your muscles. As others have put it on the forums, "practice makes permanent", so if you are indeed spending all your practice time with your fingers and lips tensed up then it will haunt you.

Keep your fingers in close proximity to the body of the whistle, don't lift them higher than necessary (watch Donncha O Briain's plaing for a great example of this). Practice playing your scales one finger at a time, lifting them and placing them on the whistle while paying attention to keeping your muscles relaxed while still covering and uncovering the toneholes quickly enough to avoid slurring notes. What has helped me is to focus mainly the muscles in my palm (at the base of the fingers I guess, I'm no anatomy expert) while keeping the finger joints fairly still (though not rigid). I figure the less joints and muscles you involve in moving your finger the simpler it will be.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

straycat82 wrote:R-E-L-A-X !

Seriously. I think this may be one of the most difficult lessons to learn because it takes an intentional effort at all times. When attempting to practice ornamentation, and especially when learning new tunes many people have a tendency to death grip the whistle. When it comes down to it, what you practice is what becomes ingrained in your muscles. As others have put it on the forums, "practice makes permanent", so if you are indeed spending all your practice time with your fingers and lips tensed up then it will haunt you.

Keep your fingers in close proximity to the body of the whistle, don't lift them higher than necessary (watch Donncha O Briain's plaing for a great example of this). Practice playing your scales one finger at a time, lifting them and placing them on the whistle while paying attention to keeping your muscles relaxed while still covering and uncovering the toneholes quickly enough to avoid slurring notes. What has helped me is to focus mainly the muscles in my palm (at the base of the fingers I guess, I'm no anatomy expert) while keeping the finger joints fairly still (though not rigid). I figure the less joints and muscles you involve in moving your finger the simpler it will be.
Somehow, those parts came naturally for me, despite only having played guitar and piano earlier. May be that people who are used to economical muscle movement from other instruments apply that naturally to new ones.

I am not an expert, but I still have an advice for other intermediates.
One can play the whistle, without for that matter being able to play folk music.
Learn the instrument, but also develop an aesthetic sense for the music you want to play. Do not only listen to professional whistlers, but the music as a whole. Your playing will benefit from this.
okewhistle

Post by okewhistle »

1) With a piece of software like "Audacity" (free, open source) you can put in your whistle heroes and slow them down without changing the pitch. That way you can hear exactly what they are doing, then play along, turning up the speed a notch at a time. It's the best way I've found of getting to grips with the feel of the tunes.

2) (From personal experience) If you have a book of tunes, don't try to learn any from the sheet music without having heard them played properly first. That way you don't have to unlearn when you do hear them.

3) Don't get despondent when you hear other people who are better than you. I had been learning for about five years when I heard a ten year old kid who had been learning about six weeks (his Dad said) who was way better than me. Some people are naturally gifted: it's annoying, but it's just the way it is. Some, like me, have to slog slog slog and will never be more than average. I also find that I improve in steps: I will go along for ages getting nowhere and then I will suddenly find I can do something I couldn't do before, often having laid my whistles down for a few days.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

segv wrote:Personally, I maintain a "window" of tunes that I actively work on.
Tip: for when the mind goes blank...scribble the first word of your current 'practice window' sets on a scrap of paper in your wallet - make yourself start at least one of those sets at every session.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

...and if I can have two bites at the cherry...

work out how to set up your mobile phone so that the sound recorder function is available as a one touch short cut.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

I'd also like another bite.

If you have prior experience from musical instruments you will already know this, but those that are learning the tin whistle as first instrument should keep in mind that you can't have fun and play with feeling all the time. So don't expect that from yourselves, and don't think you totally lack talent or that the instrument is not for you.

Sometimes playing gets repetitive, and even boring.
When you've practiced a tune many times each day for a week, it is normal not to feel so inspired anymore. Just in the same way as a very good song loses it's attraction when played too many times.

Inspiration and the joy you get from playing functions similar to learning, that is, you make progress in steps, and hard work gets you there faster, but a break now and then can be good also both for inspiration and learning.
Infernaltootler

Re:

Post by Infernaltootler »

free-feet wrote:I agree with that. Some of my most un-liked and un-fun tunes are the ones i find hardest to play, but i keep at them every day because they're the ones i really need to sort out to get to that next level.

Another thought came to me on this topic. Stick to the same few tunes and learn to play them well instead of keeping on finding new tunes to play mediocre-wise.

I have 27 tunes on the whistle, i've been playing 3.5 years. I don't consider any of them to be good enough yet and i won't move on until i think they are. But i meet other musicians who think they can play loads of tunes and not one of them is anything like as good as any of my 27, in fact some people i meet are downright sh*t - but they've got 100 tunes more than me! Wooopeee!

There's no point in having a load of tunes if they're sh*t and no one wants to listen to them. Get a few and make 'em great!
great tips, I'm going to give as many a go as I can.

Free-feets post interested me though. After three and a half years have you seriously only learned 27 tunes? Or have you simply selected 27 to really work whilst still having knowledge of others?

The way I see it, when I started to go to a session although I knew a few tunes I rarely heard them played so I have had to broaden my repertoire, particularly with English tunes, if I want to make any effort to take part at all.

I'm like a magpie with a very short attention span. I love trying out new tunes and can't wait to try any that I hear at a session or on a recording. Everyone laughs at me as I try and scribble down the names. It really annoys me when I can't find the tunes, like the Cape Breton Jigs on Music at Matt Malloys.

It would be impossible for me to stick to the same 27 tunes only, which is why your post amazed me. You must be a very determined and discipled person, who is capable of sustained dedication. I'd love to hear you play some of those tunes.

I know I could use some of your patience.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Re:

Post by Protean »

Rhadge wrote:I'd also like another bite.

If you have prior experience from musical instruments you will already know this, but those that are learning the tin whistle as first instrument should keep in mind that you can't have fun and play with feeling all the time. So don't expect that from yourselves, and don't think you totally lack talent or that the instrument is not for you.

Sometimes playing gets repetitive, and even boring.
When you've practiced a tune many times each day for a week, it is normal not to feel so inspired anymore. Just in the same way as a very good song loses it's attraction when played too many times.

Inspiration and the joy you get from playing functions similar to learning, that is, you make progress in steps, and hard work gets you there faster, but a break now and then can be good also both for inspiration and learning.
I can't speak as an experienced whistle player, given that I'm still a greenie and rather suck at the moment, but I can speak from my experience on violin. This right here, is the absolute truth. There are tunes that are so bloody fun to play when you first pick them up, but practicing them for months on end, playing them through hundreds, perhaps thousands of times, repeating small sections over and over to get them perfected... it can be incredibly draining. All of this practice leading up to a performance and at the end, you feel like you never want to play the thing ever again.

The whole process is a bit misleading, though. I've always found that the initial thrill returns ten fold on that night of performance. Several years ago, I had the privilege to perform on a small tour in the UK, and the practice leading up to the tour was mind numbing, but every single night of performance was an absolute joy.
crookedtune

Re: Top Tips for Intermediate Whistlers

Post by crookedtune »

My tip is to take a shot at everything. Irish traditional music has taken the whistle to wonderful places. It may never be used in more effective ways. But who knows?

It's fine to immerse yourself in Irish traditional music, and try to learn it correctly. But it's not the only way.

Play pop tunes, show tunes, classical, jazz and folk tunes. You can always go back to ITrad, and you'll be none the worse for it. Most of all, enjoy it! :party:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: Re:

Post by FJohnSharp »

Infernaltootler wrote: It really annoys me when I can't find the tunes, like the Cape Breton Jigs on Music at Matt Malloys.
I have learned the first one by ear. They're played on an Eb whistle in case you didn't know. The third one seems like it will be the hardest to learn by ear.
Rhadge

Re: Re:

Post by Rhadge »

Protean wrote:The whole process is a bit misleading, though. I've always found that the initial thrill returns ten fold on that night of performance. Several years ago, I had the privilege to perform on a small tour in the UK, and the practice leading up to the tour was mind numbing, but every single night of performance was an absolute joy.
Indeed, when you can play the tune well and get in the mood, it is a great experience. There is usually a boring gap between that point and the first steps. When you bridge it, you get something extra from it.
crookedtune wrote:My tip is to take a shot at everything. Irish traditional music has taken the whistle to wonderful places. It may never be used in more effective ways. But who knows?

It's fine to immerse yourself in Irish traditional music, and try to learn it correctly. But it's not the only way.
Good advice.
I play a bit swedish folk on the whistle, and also some tunes from Conan the Barbarian soundtrack. Fits the whistle perfectly I think.
MusicalADD

Re: Top Tips for Intermediate Whistlers

Post by MusicalADD »

Lots of great tips here, thanks all!

I have a request for other tips, but my request might be too vague... Can anyone offer tips on honing one's sense of rhythm / lilt / pulse? (There might be multiple subjects in there for all I know.)

I sense that subtle differences in rhythm can make a huge difference in the overall sound of an arrangement. If you have too much lilt, or not enough, then the sound isn't quite right. Know what I mean? And I'm often unsure of whether lilt is appropriate.

One specific example: The last track on the Edel Fox /Ronan O'Flaherty cd starts with the Fisherman's Lilt (reel), which I love. (It's on her myspace page if you want to hear it.)
But then I find on youtube a video of Bothy Band, a Drunken Landlady set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3oO6I56Guc

35 seconds in they start Fisherman's Lilt and I don't hear any lilt at all (irony?).

Am I just imagining the difference in lilt? Is one style more appropriate / "better"?

I guess pulse is another matter, as you want a pulse regardless of the lilt. My main question regarding pulse, I guess, is, should I be consciously emphasizing some notes to reinforce a tune's pulse? Or should a whistle leave it to the rhythm players to emphasize the pulse?

If these questions even make any sense then I'd appreciate relevant tips, including pointers to recordings that you think provide good examples. Thanks!