Service at HMT?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
clark
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Out of curiosity I looked at Dale's "review" of the HNT on the C&F site. It amounts to a rave review and says quite clearly that "Customer service is good". Now I accept that this may have been true in the past, but wonder, in view of the horror stories, if it isn't time to update this blurb (if not remove the link altogether).

Clark
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I've deleted, at least for now, HMT's listing at C&F's buying guide. I'm a bit uncomfortable doing it. I did it because there are too many complaints here by people I know and trust to ignore. I'm uncomfortable because people who have had good experiences are probably underrepresented here. I had good experiences, but for the fact that I thought it took them to long to ship things. However, I've not ordered from them much lately.

Dale
Ailin

Post by Ailin »

I have had nothing but good experience with HMT so far, but it has always been in person, in store contact. HMT has become my favorite store to visit in the Washington area, however I have never ordered from them by mail or via the internet, and that may be a different story. The people there have always been pleasant and helpful. It's also one of the few stores where they don't mind if you try out the whistles whether it's an Overton or a Generation. On the other hand, they did seem to have less selection in whistles and not as much whistle related items, other than music books, the last time I was there in April. Perhaps, they are reducing their whistle product and are drying up as a quality whistle source? Maybe Dale alerting them to these problems will provide some answers and perhaps, wake HMT up.

Ailin
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

For what it's worth, here's my experience with HMT.

In late December of last year I ordered an Olwell bamboo flute from HMT over the internet. The order seemed to be accepted normally. At that time I naïve enough to assume the flute would be in stock unless I heard otherwise, so after a few weeks I called to ask what was up with my order. The person I talked to tried to be helpful but didn’t seen to know how to get into their system to actually check on the order. But, he told me not to worry, that I should expect a wait of up to four months for an Olwell flute. At that point I was only a little miffed that nothing in the on-line catalog or in the ordering process let me know to expect a wait.

At the end of April I called again. This time someone actually checked, and determined that my order was not even in their system. They offered to enter a new order then, I agreed, and I finally got my flute a couple of months later.

My impression, based on this single episode, is that the HMT system to process internet orders is just not up to snuff, and that HTM badly needs to either improve its system or quit doing business over the net. I can’t say whether the problems extends to all mail order, or just internet orders.

On the other hand, when I talked to real people on the phone they were helpful and courteous, and did what they said they would do. I didn’t the feeling that I was dealing with bad folks, but with folks with a bad system.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I have had a number of dealings with HMT, almost all of them have been in person. Each has been a delight.

I have heard enough complaints here and elsewhere to agree that their mail order (Internet or phone) is not up to snuff. If your in the Washington DC area, they're a nice place to stop in; however, there are a number of better internet and mail order vendors.

Just wanted to provide a positive vote for HMT in person and a negative on their mail/internet persona.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Thought I should tell you all that I suddenly last thursday got an answer from HMT. At last. They told me they had been having troubles with their internet connection. Yes, they do seem to be kinda haunted by communication problems. Anyway; they recognized my cancel and welcomed me back at a later time. Fine with me.

Do you think they read these posts? Certainly hope they do, and that it might be a pointer to them in the future.

Best regards,

Eivind
RosieJ

Post by RosieJ »

My first whistle from HMT arrived bent and dented, and pretty poorly packaged, so it wasn't really surprising it was damaged. I got a call from them after I emailed to say what happened, and they were very nice, though they did, not surprisingly from what I hear, tell me they were on backorder. I mentioned the poor packaging. Anyway, I got my walton D after about 1 1/2 months, and boy, you should have seen how well it was packed! Huge box, lots of foam and bubble wrap;it arrived without a scratch! I just wondered why they didn't do that in the first place....... Sounds like personnel turnover and computer problems are what they need to fix.