guitar & whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
steve
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by steve »

And as a side note to Avanutria, it is not called Guitar Obsessive Acquisition, it is called Guitar Acquisition Syndrome or GAS.
--balance--
benkuhn

Post by benkuhn »

Thanks everyone. I poked around a local music store and Borders last night, and was rather disappointed. I ordered the '121 Favorite Irish Session Tunes' book online, but it'll take a while to ship. I briefly looked at the web sites. I'll go back later today after work really explore them.

- B
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-08-21 14:35, avanutria wrote:
A bodhran doesn't seem like it would shield you from anything more pointy than a pint!
Well then, get a Dobro.

Steve
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

On 2002-08-21 14:37, steve wrote:
And as a side note to Avanutria, it is not called Guitar Obsessive Acquisition, it is called Guitar Acquisition Syndrome or GAS.
GAS is much more frequent in those with GOAT.
<font size=-2>(Guitar Obsessive Acquistion Tendency)</font>

Just to many ways to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2002-08-21 14:33, BrassBlower wrote:
You can better defend yourself in a brawl with a guitar, too.

[/quote]

Are you sure? A Clarke Sweetone or Walton's LBW driven with the heel of your hand makes a formidable weapon, and a bodhran makes an effective shield. In addition, neither are as likely to be taken away and used against you. Not that I'm advocating violence or anything :grin:
[/quote]

This is totally off the wall. Have you ever taken a straw and drove it into a potato. The secret to doing it is covering the back of the straw with your thumb and the air pressure in the straw strengthens the straw so that you can stab a potato.

hmmm... I am not a violent person either.
I was wondering if that would have the same effect with whistle jousting. Stupid question. You would have to cover up all of the holes first!!!! duh

Would need to use a lowly guitar for defending myself. I would never want to use the current one I own.

Laura
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Laura I will have to try that, being in potato country as I am :smile:

Ben where did you order from? Hope you used http://www.bestbookbuys.com ! Or failing that, http://www.thewhistleshop.com !
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
benkuhn

Post by benkuhn »

Ah, yes. I'd love to have a 12 string. I need to do something about my dying 6 string first, though. The bridge is rather badly cracked. Still playable, but I'm not sure for how much longer. And I don't think my electric guitar and amp would make for good accompaniment for this type of music.

- B
benkuhn

Post by benkuhn »

I used amazon. Mostly because they never give me a hassle about shipping to places all over the country while my credit card only lists PA.

- B
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Well then, I hope you checked edealfinder.com for valid Amazon coupons. :smile:

And you are correct...electrics and amps will get harrassment, even from pipers and bodhran players!

(I've already had to dissuade one local guitarist from bringing his amp to the Boise session...)
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

A couple books that may be relevant:

Celtic Back-Up by Chris Smith (mel bay)

Traditional Irish Guitar by Paul de Grae (ossian)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey is that the Chris Smith that wrote the lengthy explanation of exactly how one must play at sessions that celtophobe referred to???
Id go with de Grae. He makes nices posts on IRTRAD
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

You can better defend yourself in a brawl with a guitar, too.
Heh, I guarantee that anyone who gets a smack on the melon with my low-D Gold Chieftain isn't going to be getting up anytime soon. It would be like getting hit with a lead pipe. In fact, it easily outweighs the telescoping metal baton I carried as a police officer.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-08-21 23:08, The Weekenders wrote:
Hey is that the Chris Smith that wrote the lengthy explanation of exactly how one must play at sessions that celtophobe referred to???
Id go with de Grae. He makes nices posts on IRTRAD
I'd hardly call Chris a celtophobe. He plays tenor banjo, guitar, bouzouki and something else like accordion. He has lots of writings on learning Irish music. I would say that he has a lot of strongly held opinions which he doesn't hesitate to express in a pretty forthright manner. However, what I like about his stuff is that he offers general ideas and leaves it up to students to develop them on their own. I guess this isn't really a very popular approach. Most books say do this, put your finger here, play these notes, etc. Chris doesn't do this, at least not when he is discussing backup techniques. He suggests instead building chord shapes for yourself, finding chord changes for yourself, etc. I have nothing against De Grae's book but he advocates a tuning that hardly anyone but himself uses and, like other books, it's based on the "here are the changes" approach for the most part. He does discuss alternate chords to some extent. I think the person who works through Chris's material will be more rewarded in the long run.

Steve
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

I mentioned in one of my earlier threads several months back my fear of waiting in dark parking lots.

My son works at a Meijers store second shift. I had to pick him up at 11:00pm. I know that there are security cameras all around. But I felt more secure toting my low G whistle with me.
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Thanks for the reviews Steve. I'm not a guitar player, just knew there were a couple possibly relevant titles in the home collection. Your reviews helped others get a glimpse into what each book has to offer. I bet I'm not the only one who appreciates it.

Nancy