Carbony whistle tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
robgandara
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

whistle update

Post by robgandara »

Hi,

two high whistles are on tour but I am having trouble locating Ranica Arrowsmith, is there anyway to contact her besides email? The email I have for her is from her job and I didnt know if she was on vacation...

The low whistle got retuned and is back on tour.

any help in finding Ranica will get the tour back on track!

Rob
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: whistle update

Post by IDAwHOa »

robgandara wrote:any help in finding Ranica will get the tour back on track!

Rob
I would suggest skipping at this point. One month is more than enough time (WAY more) to delay. That person could always be tacked back on to the end of the tour.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
wvwhistler

Post by wvwhistler »

I have to agree with IDAwHOa on that point. Let's get the bally Low D back on the road and let the sleepers catch up another time! :D
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
"All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

I recieved the Low D last Thursday, should be passing it on in a couple days :)
robgandara

yes the low D is back on track

Post by robgandara »

one of the high D whistles has been shipped to Ranica and she seems to have fallen off the planet...

anyone know how to contact her?
wvwhistler

Post by wvwhistler »

Trixle wrote:I recieved the Low D last Thursday, should be passing it on in a couple days :)
Most excellent! Lakeland is a great place. I lived in St. Pete for 15 years and spent a great deal of time in Lakeland and over in Lake Wales.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
"All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Trixle wrote:I recieved the Low D last Thursday, should be passing it on in a couple days :)
Woohoo, it's getting closer.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

wvwhistler wrote:
Most excellent! Lakeland is a great place. I lived in St. Pete for 15 years and spent a great deal of time in Lakeland and over in Lake Wales.
If only there were some whistle/flute/pipe teachers here it'd be perfect :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

So, feedback, anyone? :wink:

Re: the high D, guess I'll have to take the plunge, then (a local Chiffer on the tour list has it for the moment and I had the good fortune to give it a try). First and foremost, tone and playability: I thought it was a good whistle indeed with good overall intonation and a moderate volume, but I have only two quibbles about it. A) It is untuneable. I would suggest, if possible, a longer collar to the head, and not using an adhesive. Simple friction should hold the head fast enough for a player's purposes, I expect, or if not, some way to accomplish this could be found. B) I found bottom D to be a hair sharp, but this is a common complaint of mine for nearly all whistles, so probably no big deal. Might be worth looking into, though. All in all a nice tone, considering I only had a short go at it, and easy to play. If it were tuneable, I'd probably get one.

I found the way the light plays on the carbon fabric to be attractive; almost a moiré effect. And an all-black whistle? Gotta love that. You can take it anywhere. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

I have the low d currently, and can offer some thoughts about it.

I will start with this disclaimer-- I am still very new to the whistle, (apr 2007) and this is the first low whistle that i've played, though i've played high whistles ranging from high Eb to Bb and a D tipple flute.

Visually it's a very nice looking flute, black body with silver fipple, conical bored. It looks a little like a scepter or one of those silver tipped black canes that rich people have (will try to include pics later) and i feel a bit like the monopoly guy when i hold it. All i would need is a tux, a single eye-lense, a top hat, and this whistle and i'd have it down. Anyway, visually very nice looking whistle.

There is a decent sized space between the left hand and the righ hand fingerings. I dont know if this is standard since i have only played higher whistles where the holes were more evenly spread out. The low d finger is a tiny stretch, not too much, but a bit, from the e hole. I used the pipers grip, though a regular grip could have been used with out too much stretch for medium sized hands if that was to be preferred. The holes were not so big as far as size so covering them was no problem, and the whistle is pretty thin towards the bottom as it is conical.

The breath requirements were very low. I expected a huge breath jump from high to low whistles, but i had about as much ease playing this (as far as breath requirements were concerned) as i did playing feadog type higher whistles. If there was more air requirements, it wasn't noticeable.

The whistle was in tune as far as i could tell, though some problems with the sounding of the lower notes sometimes made these seem a bit flat, but i will discuss this further down.

As far as clogging goes, this whistle didn't clog for me at all. It does, however, have a saliva drainage system that i haven't encountered before. Somehow rather than down the tube, my spit seemed to drip down through the fipple hole out the side and down the length of the fipple and eventually the whistle. I'm not sure if this is unique to me since i tend to salivate a bit when playing or the whistle. It was interesting though. (don't worry, i will wipe it down with some type of germ removing wipe before sending it on :P )

One thing that struck me about this whistle is that it was very quiet. I really cant imagine it being heard over a noisy session, though i've never been to one.My only point of reference for a low d sound would be to the tipple low d flute, and i would say that it is decidedly lower in volume than that. In respects to its volume, it kinda reminded me of what a Clarke would sound like were it a low whistle, as my Clarke high d is decidedly quieter than my other high d whistles.

The bottom notes can be overblown easily if not careful with breath, and the bottom d is not very strong in terms of volume and power and was easy to overblow until i got the hang of it. As i am a newbie to the low whistle in particular, this could have been more a fault of the player than the whistle, but that was my experience.

The tone of the whistle was very smooth, soft, and mellow. I think that if the whistle were a bit more powerful in the volume category it would be very pleasing to listen to. As i am new to the low whistle, the lack of volume could again be either lack of my playing it right or a gross over-expectation of what the volume of a low d whistle should be.

Overall, i like the look and the feel of the whistle. i think if the bottom notes were stronger and the over all volume/power of the whistle could be increased its sound would match its beauty.
Last edited by Trixle on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Trixle wrote:Somehow rather than down the tube, my spit seemed to drip down through the fipple hole out the side and down the length of the fipple and eventually the whistle. I'm not sure if this is unique to me since i tend to salivate a bit when playing or the whistle. It was interesting though. (don't worry, i will wipe it downwith some type of germ removing wipe before sending it on :P )
Yes, I noticed condensation on the upper surface of the fipple blade in a way I'd not seen previously on other whistles. I didn't play the high D long enough to see of it would run down the exterior - I didn't think of the possibility at the time - but for me that probably wouldn't be a negative; me being a flute player, dripping is par for the course, and condensation making its way out of the toneholes themselves isn't a rarity. At least there'd still be a decent grip due to the carbon fabric. And it wasn't spit. Well, mostly, I'm sure. :wink:
Trixle wrote:i think if the bottom notes were stronger and the over all volume/power of the whistle could be increased its sound would match its beauty.
A lot of whistles, high or low, are quiet at the bottom parts of the overall register. I agree that it would be nice if that could be overcome somehow.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Nice review Trixie. Makes me look forward to my turn with it.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

I just sent off the tour Hi D whistle on Friday. I enjoyed playing the whistle and really like the looks of the carbon fibre tube. It plays easily and sounds sweet. All in all a nice whistle.
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
robgandara

it actually is tunable

Post by robgandara »

it actually is tuneable there is no adhesive holding the mouthpiece on... a little warm water on the mouthpiece should loosen it up. the models I am building now have a dab of burts bees lip balm around the top to ease tuning.

Rob
Nanohedron wrote:So, feedback, anyone? :wink:

Re: the high D, guess I'll have to take the plunge, then (a local Chiffer on the tour list has it for the moment and I had the good fortune to give it a try). First and foremost, tone and playability: I thought it was a good whistle indeed with good overall intonation and a moderate volume, but I have only two quibbles about it. A) It is untuneable. I would suggest, if possible, a longer collar to the head, and not using an adhesive. Simple friction should hold the head fast enough for a player's purposes, I expect, or if not, some way to accomplish this could be found. B) I found bottom D to be a hair sharp, but this is a common complaint of mine for nearly all whistles, so probably no big deal. Might be worth looking into, though. All in all a nice tone, considering I only had a short go at it, and easy to play. If it were tuneable, I'd probably get one.

I found the way the light plays on the carbon fabric to be attractive; almost a moiré effect. And an all-black whistle? Gotta love that. You can take it anywhere. :)
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

Just got the low D, will try to have it back in the mail this coming weekend! Will post a review on my site asap.

Thanks
Kevin
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com