Clarke tone question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

AlonE wrote:Copeland= pro Clarke!!!!

you are my idolo!
good phrase! :thumbsup: :D
:thumbsup: to you to bro
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Now see.

I have a few these things.

I don't care much for Clarkes.

I don't care if they are the "original".

Blah, blah blah.

Its its a poor design.

Straight up.

Great for design making a ton of them very fast... not so great for playing.

I don't mind the wimpy-chiffyness...and sure I can play them I just want to smash it afterwards.

Its the air reqs I can't stand.

Wind blows through those things like The goose that ate a box of exlax. ( thats a tune... I'm sure of it)

You have to smash the crap outa the top of the wind way to bring it in line... and teach it a lesson like a ginger step kid.

If you want to play these things go ahead.

Don't let me stop you.

Just make sure you are sitting down and put your head between your legs every so often to keep from passing out.

:P :twisted:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

BanjoBoog wrote:
Mitch wrote:Any whistle can be made to sound chiffy. It has to do with the efficiency of the available energy being converted into the oscillation around the blade. ... snip
Hi Mitch:
That's very interesting. I've got a few cheap whistles that I don't mind experimenting on. I'm assuming you'd carefully file the blade down?
Hey BB - don't get carried away. Experimentation is good but whistles have been known to die in the name of science! (curiosity killed the whistle? :lol: )

The easiest way to play with the chiff is to move the blade up and down - the Clarke "original" is the best subject for this kind of thing because you can easily un-do the damage - remember: filing is forever ;)

There are a number of different ways to get chiff - almost anything you do to a soundblade or windway can affect it, but many of them also have undesirable side-effects. For guidance - have a look at the "Engineering Department" on the C&F front page.

As for the term "original" - it may be argued that the conical Clarke design was the original tin-whistle, but examples of the standard cylindrical pennywhistle are still unearthed from time to time which pre-date the Clark by hundreds of years. From my perspective, the "original" Irish sound was being produced in the 60's and 70's mostly on Generation whistles - legend also has it that Finbar Furie's whistle was a cane cylindrical that ultimatly died and was replaced by the first Overton. The simple-system itself predates all of this by aeons. These days, we live in the "Golden Age of Whistles" where inovation abounds and the whistle for you might be made by robots or men in any color of any metal, wood or plastic, cylindrical, conical, square or donut-shaped - a good time to be alive!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Aanvil wrote:Now see.

I have a few these things.

I don't care much for Clarkes.

I don't care if they are the "original".

Blah, blah blah.

Its its a poor design.

Straight up.

Great for design making a ton of them very fast... not so great for playing.

I don't mind the wimpy-chiffyness...and sure I can play them I just want to smash it afterwards.

Its the air reqs I can't stand.

Wind blows through those things like The goose that ate a box of exlax. ( thats a tune... I'm sure of it)

You have to smash the crap outa the top of the wind way to bring it in line... and teach it a lesson like a ginger step kid.

Don't let me stop you.

Just make sure you are sitting down and put your head between your legs every so often to keep from passing out.

:P :twisted:
they are the original tin whistle
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

s1m0n wrote:It's interesting that the conical bore Clarke whistle is most like the 'irish' sound of the conical-bore wooden flute; whereas all the tubular whistles are like the boehm flute.
I'm not sure that I'd go that far. Many think a Generation or
a Feadog (properly played) sounds much more "traditional"
than a Clarke...
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Mitch wrote:These days, we live in the "Golden Age of Whistles" where inovation abounds and the whistle for you might be made by robots or men in any color of any metal, wood or plastic, cylindrical, conical, square or donut-shaped - a good time to be alive!

:thumbsup:
BanjoBoog

Post by BanjoBoog »

Adrian wrote:
Mitch wrote:These days, we live in the "Golden Age of Whistles" where inovation abounds and the whistle for you might be made by robots or men in any color of any metal, wood or plastic, cylindrical, conical, square or donut-shaped - a good time to be alive!
:thumbsup:
"What are those on your whistle son?"

..."humbuckers."

:lol:
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

the main thing here is if you dont get a Clarke original you will never be happy
BanjoBoog

Post by BanjoBoog »

cavefish wrote:the main thing here is if you dont get a Clarke original you will never be happy
I have two and I'm happy² :D
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

BanjoBoog wrote:
cavefish wrote:the main thing here is if you dont get a Clarke original you will never be happy
i have 4-by the way you play banjo beautifully :D
Last edited by cavefish on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
houstonwhistler

Post by houstonwhistler »

Aanvil wrote:Now see.

Don't let me stop you.

Don't worry. We weren't going to.
Ale will make you stout and stout will make you ail.
BanjoBoog

Post by BanjoBoog »

cavefish wrote:
BanjoBoog wrote:
i have 4-by the way you play banjo beautifully :D
And you sir are obviously a scholar and a gentleman with a most discerning palette :lol: :D :lol: ... thank you. I think Clarkes are very nice.
sbhikes

Post by sbhikes »

I just bought a Sweetone. Can anybody tell me if it is pronounced Sweet Tone or Sweet One?

It's cute and red. I like the breathiness. It's quieter than my acorn, but the notes are bendy. Maybe it's the paint making the edges of the finger holes not as sharp as I'm used to?
~Diane

My Credentials as a rank beginner on the flute
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Cavefish: On the other hand, the question is, whether "original whistle" is good or not so good. As I see it, it can be either truly sort of "idol", or, on the other hand, it can be obsolete bit in evolution - served good, but now we have better.

To argument a little bit - evolution happens with almost all instruments - for example, first guitars had slightly different shape, and strings made from guts - now we have metal/nylon. It seems rather similar sort of evolution to me - it´s not traditional really, but the sound is preferred by most people.

Again, as in most things, it seems to be matter of personal point of view - as with high/low end, with lots of ornaments/few ornaments etc.

And a note to those who think that Clarkes take too much air - either stop smoking or do some lung training :) It can take a little above average air, but I´m no exceptional breather and it makes me little trouble (as my friends who have them).
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

abc
Last edited by Pyroh on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.