OT - I haven't posted on the board in a while.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I like the warm weather Miami Florida provides. Depending on the location, much of the real estate is affordable. It's easy to find things here, be it cars, tools, schools, technology, musical instruments and culture of all sorts. It seems the worst part of living here is the lack of qualified drivers...
Grannymouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Grannymouse »

We have a big lack of qualified drivers in south Texas too. I always say I cn drive all over the country and come closer to getting killed just driving in the valley.
BTW Steve Power.......will be over there next week but unfortunately...won't be going through Adare. :sad: Gm

Welcome back Sara !
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Desiderata
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Just a plug for the Midwesterners on the board. We have no oceans, no mountains, hot humid summers and bitter winters and a horrible lack of whistle teachers.

I'm not trying to convince any of you to move here - just trying to cadge a little sympathy for us less fortunate 'tweeners in the flyover states.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Blackhawk,
What a small world--I actually lived in Andrews for two months back in 1997! I wonder if I met your family. It's so funny to think that other people here know about Andrews...

Jim,
Did you find an apartment or something, then? I'm glad you found a place to live in LA! Best of luck to you.
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-07-01 15:34, Cees wrote:
Blackhawk,
What a small world--
<a href="http://lirleysplace.homestead.com/files ... d.mid">Yes, it is a Small World After All.</a>

:wink:

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-01 15:34, Cees wrote:
Blackhawk,
What a small world--I actually lived in Andrews for two months back in 1997! I wonder if I met your family. It's so funny to think that other people here know about Andrews...
I'm in shock!! What in the world were you doing in Andrews?? I can't believe I'm writing to someone who knows where it is...along with all 300 or so people who live there. Yeah, I'm sure you ran across relatives of mine, although most have moved to the big cities...Brownfield, Lubbock, Midland, etc.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Everyone seems to think that California is one tiny state wrapped around the beach area of Orange County and LA. But if you check out a map, it is nearly as big as Texas. It has oceans, mountains-even taller than any in Colorado, Death Valley, deserts, volcanoes, trees, lakes, and, in many places, inexpensive communities. I think California is the most beautiful place in the world. It is very diverse, but LA gets all the fame. (How 'bout them Lakers!!)

JP
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

Hi Sara :smile:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-06-30 18:17, StevePower wrote:
On 2002-06-30 17:58, Sara wrote:
blackhawk - why would you want to live in Texas? There's really nothing here to do - California has the ocean!
Just goes to show ya - the grass is always greener (especially in Ireland, 'cos it's raining cats and dogs!). I'd KILL to visit Texas - it seems so exotic!

Steve :wink:

Ah, but Steve, if you kill IN Texas, don't they still have capital punishment there? I've seen the Green Mile, so I'm completely up to date on this whole thing.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-06-30 21:18, Sara wrote:
I'd love to live in Ireland. Or England.
Yup, I knew it was coming! England is just the tops, but I warn you Sara, the folks here have NO sense of humour! And we have lots of rain, even when Wimbledon is on.

Why the other day, I was...

Oh, hang on, that's a me story. You better tell me one of yours. But wait, that'd be a you story, so...

Goll, this whole nobody being allowed to talk about their own experiences thing is complicated. Maybe you could send me a story privately, and then I could talk about you?

Can we go back to the way it was, please? I like hearing other people's stuff, my life is just so DULL (except for the bucket of ducks, I suppose).

Bloomfield, help me, I'm drowning here!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Blackhawk,
I spent a couple of years in different areas of Texas doing volunteer church missionary work and was transferred to Andrews for a couple of months. There are actually around 10,000 people there now, at least according to the population sign at the time. What I was amazed about (besides the dust storms and complete drabness of the place...just dirt and tumbleweeds... :smile: ) was the number of churches per capita...just about one on every single block, all different religions! The welcome to Andrews sign could read "church capital of Texas!"

I once asked someone living there how they could stand such a plain view and they said "well, them people who live near those mountains and all, those mountains get in the way of the view! Here there's nothing to get in the way!"

:smile:

Those west Texans...got to love them. :smile:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-07-02 12:18, Martin Milner wrote:

Bloomfield, help me, I'm drowning here!
No.

Drown for all I care! Then my humor will reign unchallenged! Yes! It will be all about me, then. About me, me, me, Bloomfield! Oh, me, Bloomfield! Bloomfield! Bloomfield! Just me me me me MEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEE!
/Bloomfield
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

Speaking of Small World - here's a wee joke:

Two Irish guys sitting at the bar in New York. They are both knocking back the pints and after about 2 hours one of them says to the other:

"So, where are you from ?"

The other replies:

"I'm from Ireland, what about you?"

The first guy says:

"That a coincidence, so am I. Where abouts in Ireland are you from?"

to which the other replies:

"I'm from Galway"

"No kidding", says the first guy "so am I, where abouts in Galway?"

"I'm from Main St." says the other guy "what about yourself"

"This is unbelievable", says the first guy "that's where I'm from. Actually No. 16 Main St."

"Me too says" the other guy, and they start high fiving and hugging.

Just then another customer who had been sitting nearby asks the bartender what's going on with the two guys getting so excited to which the bartender replies -

"Oh don't worry about them, they're the Murphy twins and they're drunk again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhistlingGypsy on 2002-07-02 12:47 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WhistlingGypsy on 2002-07-02 12:47 ]</font>
gogo

Post by gogo »

On 2002-07-02 12:18, Martin Milner wrote:
On 2002-06-30 21:18, Sara wrote:
I'd love to live in Ireland. Or England.
Yup, I knew it was coming! England is just the tops, but I warn you Sara, the folks here have NO sense of humour! And we have lots of rain, even when Wimbledon is on.

Why the other day, I was...

Oh, hang on, that's a me story. You better tell me one of yours. But wait, that'd be a you story, so...

And here's a me story from me...

Martin, I've just returned from several weeks in England (and a few other places), and got all caught up in some quaint little old-world sporting event that everyone there seemed to be talking about; I think they called it "the World Cup". Have you heard of this? Because it doesn't seem to exist here in the U.S., when I got back home everyone told me I was crazy, there's no such thing as a world SOCCER championship!
WhistlingSouthpaw

Post by WhistlingSouthpaw »

Ya'll come to South Carolina if you wanna know about humidity. Plus, we've got the finest rednecks in the country.
A Whistling Southpaw (and proud of it!)